Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2009, 10:33 PM

1,191 posts, read 1,583,942 times

Advertisements

And yes, I know who the guy in the clip is. He is Kody Scott AKA Monster. He is a (former?) member of the 83rd Street Gangster Crips. There was a book written about him in 1993 entitled Monster: The Autobiography of an L.A. Gang Member. He has a very gruesome past. The irony of his criticisim of Ice Cube is NWA opened the door for his story to be told. Crips and Bloods have been active in L.A. since at least the 1960s. However, it was not until after rappers like Ice Cube shined the media's light on the situation that guys like him became anti-heroes. As a direct result of Cube's music people seek out Scott's opinion.

Old 04-17-2009, 11:10 PM

3,440 posts, read 8,038,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliDude1 View Post
When I actually did listen to rap (many, many moons ago) Ice Cube was one of my favorites. I am very familiar with his earlier work. He has never claimed to be a gang member. In fact, he has said as much in interviews.

The problem with this kind of thing is everyone in the neighborhood thinks they are an authority. I am not saying this defend Ice Cube. I could care less. Dude is living the good life in the Valley now. I just laugh at all these people who brand themselves as gatekeepers for the "hood". If you are not familiar with these neighborhoods take a lot of this kind of comentary with a grain of salt.

I wonder if the guy in this clip calling out Ice Cube would trade his present circumstances for Cube's?

Yes, you are right; everybody believes they are some kind of authority but that's because there is no single authority; and this is why gangs are so dangerous and why they will never die out.

But let me make it clear; as a black man I don't support the "thug life" and all the ignorance that goes along with it but what turns my stomach sour is when I see people/Hollywood take ideas from the hood and sell it as if it were there own meanwhile the real characters are in the Inglewood cemetery or in prison. I would know as I was at the funeral of a friend who was shot in Inglewood and he left behind two kids... He was only 29. RIP, D.G Jr!!

On a side note, Ice cube, with all due respect was raised in a middle class home and he was going to school to be an architect but decided to pursue the entertainment industry, the guy in the vid was raised in a single parent home in a bad location so the difference between the two and the choices they made in life has a lot to do with there beginning environment and I feel I can speak on this because I was born into a single parent home... Sff, its REAL easy to get into trouble when your mom works 2-3 jobs and nobody is home all day...

Old 04-17-2009, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliDude1 View Post
Crips and Bloods have been active in L.A. since at least the 1960s. However, it was not until after rappers like Ice Cube shined the media's light on the situation that guys like him became anti-heroes. As a direct result of Cube's music people seek out Scott's opinion.

From reading the book of a powerful man who was the manager of NWA and other clippings I don't think this happened because they were trying to "help the community" more or less these guys were looking for a way to make money and they found that they could sell the crazy story's of what some of them saw in the streets.. Fine..

But, it's funny how when the REAL gang members who had talent stepped up they just could not compete with the record labels who had millions of dollars to spend for marketing so you never heard of them.

My favorite album is Banging on Wax which is the REAL representation of the L.A street life in the 90s; unfortunately many of the guys who did that album are deceased and the public at large think the guys they see on TV in the hills with all the jewelry are the real thing..

YouTube - Bloods & Crips - G's & Loc's

Old 04-18-2009, 07:21 PM

9,525 posts, read 30,468,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morphous01 View Post
But, it's funny how when the REAL gang members who had talent stepped up they just could not compete with the record labels who had millions of dollars to spend for marketing so you never heard of them.
The problem is that real gang members are a liability to any legit business they are around. Most record executives, A&R guys and/or producer is going to risk his reputation, equipment, and potentially his and his family's life to work with a gang member.

Old 04-18-2009, 09:16 PM

43 posts, read 399,113 times
I haven't wrote on this forum in a minute, anyway, when I saw this thread one guy in particular jumped to mind right away. Jay Rock from Nickerson Gardens, in Watts. I know for a fact he lived there until (at least) early last year, however, he's really blown up over the past few months so he may have moved out. I guarantee he goes back regularly and is well respected by everyone in the Gardens though.

Old 04-18-2009, 10:03 PM

1,191 posts, read 1,583,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morphous01 View Post
On a side note, Ice cube, with all due respect was raised in a middle class home and he was going to school to be an architect but decided to pursue the entertainment industry, the guy in the vid was raised in a single parent home in a bad location so the difference between the two and the choices they made in life has a lot to do with there beginning environment and I feel I can speak on this because I was born into a single parent home... Sff, its REAL easy to get into trouble when your mom works 2-3 jobs and nobody is home all day...
Morphous,

I hear what you are saying. I just want to point out that when gangs infect a community everyone in that community is affected. Yes, Cube grew up fairly middle class (based on his family structure). However, he did not grow up in Westwood or Palisades. He still grew up in South Central. Even though both of his parents were there the reality of what drugs and gangs created in his community still impacted his life.

The point I am making is gang members do not have a monopoly on the "hood" story or experience. There are people who have to alter their entire existence because of beef between gang members in their neighborhood. The effects of gang activity are a part of everyone's life in the communities where they are active.

I grew up in a community heavily impacted by gang activity, specifically Crip activity. I was never a member, nor did I want to be. I did not commit any crimes against any person or any person's property. However, I could write several pages from my perspective about the impact their activity had on my community and my life. The reality they helped create became a reality I had to deal with. It is for this reason I don't think you need to be some OG in order to have fairly accurate insight into gang culture. You don’t have to claim a set to understand the peril they create in the neighborhood where you live. In fact, survival in these communities is often predicated on how well you understand the ins and outs of the gang culture in your area. Who wears what colors? Where are the boundaries for certain sets? What are some of the lingo used? Who is beefing with whom? Who is currently looking for revenge on whom? Growing up we had to constantly be up on this kind of information just to hope to avoid the “wrong place, wrong time” phenomenon.

Just because Cube was not a gang member and decided to go into entertainment does not make his experience in his community any less valid than Scott’s. And for the record, just as Cube decided to become an entertainer Kody Scott decided to become a gang member. The single parent card just doesn’t cut it with me. Been there, done that. I have seen too many guys come out of single parent homes and make something of themselves. It does not mean it was easy and without struggle. But not having a father at home does not give anyone a license to become a cold blooded murderer. That is a dangerous copout. And it doesn’t fly.

Old 04-19-2009, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
The problem is that real gang members are a liability to any legit business they are around. Most record executives, A&R guys and/or producer is going to risk his reputation, equipment, and potentially his and his family's life to work with a gang member.

Suge Knight did, and I'm not sure how it all works but I know his company was linked to a much larger one but I due understand your over all point.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 04-19-2009 at 04:38 PM.. Reason: Off topic

Old 04-19-2009, 04:31 PM

15 posts, read 42,094 times
Some rappers do stay in the hood...but many move away. However a large number of them will make it a point to go back and give back. The lifestyle isn't always just a show, jealousy is a big factor in why they must leave because some rappers will get shot if they stay, they are a target so they must leave to stay alive.

Old 04-19-2009, 08:06 PM

241 posts, read 939,681 times
was jay rock born an raised in watts

Old 04-19-2009, 08:24 PM

829 posts, read 2,954,780 times
oftb still is involved in nickerson gardens...born and raised there and respected...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles