Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2009, 07:42 PM

829 posts, read 2,955,199 times

Advertisements

Like I said I have had a lot of west side south central residents tell me that fig is no joke...im sure "the one" will verify this too...Like above mentioned its home to a lot of gang turf it goes through athens which could be labeled as the roughest area on the whole west south los angeles side...

Funny though I always assumed fig goes through inglewood but i think "technically" it doesnt/ but the funny thing is i have heard of gang member from inglewood claiming fig as part of there turf...

i know a few streets over its inglewood but i dont think that technically fig runs through the wood...maybe im wrong.

Old 07-20-2009, 08:35 PM

241 posts, read 939,841 times
yeah always though street don't go through inglewood could be wrong pretty close probably on border.

Old 07-21-2009, 02:19 PM

67 posts, read 324,771 times
Just wondering how many people here have actually been to Compton.....don't reply based on what you saw on the news,rap videos,or T.V.
Do you think the news is going to tell you the story about the nice hard working folkks of Compton or any "bad" city?That would not be too exciting right?....They would much rather keep you in fear and lead you to believe that you will get shot,mugged,or killed in any run down neighborhood.

I had the same fears before I started traveling and living in different neighborhoods.I was terrified of the south side of Chicago until I lived there..because I,like some of you,fell for the drama that is the MEDIA.......

Just mind your business,get in and out,be cautious of your surrondings..and you should be ine.

Old 07-21-2009, 02:31 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuteazz1 View Post
Just wondering how many people here have actually been to Compton.....don't reply based on what you saw on the news,rap videos,or T.V.
Do you think the news is going to tell you the story about the nice hard working folkks of Compton or any "bad" city?That would not be too exciting right?....They would much rather keep you in fear and lead you to believe that you will get shot,mugged,or killed in any run down neighborhood.

I had the same fears before I started traveling and living in different neighborhoods.I was terrified of the south side of Chicago until I lived there..because I,like some of you,fell for the drama that is the MEDIA.......

Just mind your business,get in and out,be cautious of your surrondings..and you should be ine.
Probably more than you realize have been there or on the outskirts.

Nita

Old 07-21-2009, 02:38 PM

43 posts, read 168,432 times
Compton feels like any other suburb in LA county

Old 07-21-2009, 03:17 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,663,530 times
athens is not compton. but boy is it bad.

i think the biggest problems with cities like compton, inglewood, south gate, lynwood, is that they border bad areas. they have there bad pockets, but originally these areas were lily white. most had covnenants prohibiting home sales to black families. they have traditionally been the nicer working class areas of los angeles. at one point in time there was a demographic shift, and in some peoples narrow mind, a demographic shift is the equivalent of the neighborhood going south. most of SG, Lyn, Ing, CPT are decent areas. they just get a bad rap based on pockets of terror. its not as bad as people think. ya, stuff happens, but thats the case in most places.

Old 07-21-2009, 05:41 PM

241 posts, read 939,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the one View Post
ya, stuff happens, but thats the case in most places.
yeah more stuff happens there than many other places of west coast and a lot of cities of this country. Many or even most places 30-60 miles don't have much happening like cpt and the other areas mentioned. Lynwood does got problems but would say it is tad bit less than sg, ing, cpt and other areas or cities nearby maybe partly because there is not as much rent or more owners last checked and heard.

Old 07-21-2009, 09:39 PM

9 posts, read 30,184 times
I have a friend who is an LA County Sheriff and used to work in Compton. He told me to NEVER go there, day or night!

Old 07-22-2009, 01:33 AM

60 posts, read 241,658 times
I live in South Inglewood. It is the quietest block I have been to. There's never any gunshots, loud music, or much action. The most trouble I have is seeing graffiti on some main streets which the city usually takes care of quickly. I was driving through the morning side park neighborhood and if you told me I was in Palos Verdes I would have believed you. ING is improving, slowly, but surely. I can't wait to see that stigma be gone. I'll probably be in a different city by then. With the Hollywood Park Tomorrow development, I think this city is fighting it's bad reputation to become a prominent South Bay city as it once was. I am seeing more whites than I have since I can remember. I'm seeing more traffic and code enforcement trucks and police patrols than ever before. There are pockets of ugly almost everywhere, but there are also hardworking Americans as well. Personally, I think LA County is targeting Inglewood as a revitalization/gentrification project because of its proximity to the major freeways, beach, and downtown. I think in 15 years it will be a very different place. As for compton, it too is improving. People always tend to talk negatively about these cities, but in reality they are our neighbors and we live in the same county.

Old 07-22-2009, 01:46 AM

17,440 posts, read 28,597,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LALove24 View Post
I live in South Inglewood. It is the quietest block I have been to. There's never any gunshots, loud music, or much action. The most trouble I have is seeing graffiti on some main streets which the city usually takes care of quickly. I was driving through the morning side park neighborhood and if you told me I was in Palos Verdes I would have believed you. ING is improving, slowly, but surely. I can't wait to see that stigma be gone. I'll probably be in a different city by then. With the Hollywood Park Tomorrow development, I think this city is fighting it's bad reputation to become a prominent South Bay city as it once was. I am seeing more whites than I have since I can remember. I'm seeing more traffic and code enforcement trucks and police patrols than ever before. There are pockets of ugly almost everywhere, but there are also hardworking Americans as well. Personally, I think LA County is targeting Inglewood as a revitalization/gentrification project because of its proximity to the major freeways, beach, and downtown. I think in 15 years it will be a very different place. As for compton, it too is improving. People always tend to talk negatively about these cities, but in reality they are our neighbors and we live in the same county.
Inglewood does have a great deal of problems and much of it is ghetto but it's never been as screwed up as Compton. Didn't know there were decent/OK areas of South Inglewood, though. The better parts of Inglewood (such as Morningside Park and Old Ladera) tend to be in the north.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles