Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2009, 12:18 AM

60 posts, read 241,694 times

Advertisements

does Inglewood have a chance of improving too?

Old 08-06-2009, 01:06 AM

17,440 posts, read 28,602,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LALove24 View Post
does Inglewood have a chance of improving too?
Inglewood is in better shape than Compton right now.

When the economy improves and gentrification starts again, parts of Inglewood are likely to get gentrified, particularly the north which has remained a bastion of the African-American middle class. Inglewood has some decent areas while Compton doesn't.

Old 08-06-2009, 01:10 AM

60 posts, read 241,694 times
Do you think South Inglewood has a chance of getting gentrified, Majoun? I've noticed more whites here this summer. it's nuts. I mean south inglewood as in by hawthorne by the imperial century parts. They used to be great neighborhoods and ive been seeing improvements.

Old 08-06-2009, 07:59 AM

4,538 posts, read 10,629,904 times
I love how people are saying..."just don't start anything" and "just mind your own business". LOL. So ridiculous that anyone would consider an area safe while issuing those qualifying statements. I live in a crummy area of the Valley and people don't describe it in those terms.

Here is the real deal....Compton used to be one of the worst areas of LA....the NWA stuff at the time was pretty dead on....in fact, Boyz N the Hood was praised for its realistic portrayl.

Things are not that bad anymore. There are middle class areas of Compton even.

That said, most people would not choose to live there. While its not as bad as say 103rd and Grape or maybe Western and MLK(BTW the two very worst most dangerous areas of Los Angeles where no joke if you break down at minimum you will be robbed, but likely much worse) Compton still is not a great area. I'd compare it in quality of neighborhoods roughly to East Los Angeles....mix of blue collar middle class and poor, lots of gang activity, relatively little random crime compared to the overall level of crime.

One thing I will agree with is that there are areas that are nicer overall where I think you are far more likely to be a target of a crime of opportunity. In particular, North Hollywood north of Sherman Way and East of the 170 and also Sun Valley is an area I actively seek to avoid. I also do not like and stay away from the unicorporated county area between Huntington Park and City of Los Angeles boundaries. That area is really desolate and not good.

Old 08-06-2009, 12:41 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,602,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LALove24 View Post
Do you think South Inglewood has a chance of getting gentrified, Majoun? I've noticed more whites here this summer. it's nuts. I mean south inglewood as in by hawthorne by the imperial century parts. They used to be great neighborhoods and ive been seeing improvements.
I know where you're talking about.

That part of Inglewood obviously would not be an immediate gentrification target. But it's not impossible that this would happen although unlikely. If that part of Inglewood is fixing itself up, however, that's a good thing. Just driving around the 'wood you can see remnants of what it used to be.

Old 08-19-2009, 10:08 AM

1 posts, read 4,255 times
fool you people are trippin my brother lives in compton and other friends in other parts of the hub fools are dien every day they dont dont report gang related activity on the news any more because it was proven to be praising the gang life any way people i went to school with and grew up with are dead, dying, in the prison system awaiting to die upon release so you all got it wrong it s a bad place unless they declair marshall law and rid the city of 1000 gangs and drug dealers it remains worse than ever. you fools are sadly misinformed stay the hell out unless you must then watch your ass no joke

Old 08-19-2009, 01:44 PM

1,069 posts, read 3,272,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suberban View Post
fool you people are trippin my brother lives in compton and other friends in other parts of the hub fools are dien every day they dont dont report gang related activity on the news any more because it was proven to be praising the gang life any way people i went to school with and grew up with are dead, dying, in the prison system awaiting to die upon release so you all got it wrong it s a bad place unless they declair marshall law and rid the city of 1000 gangs and drug dealers it remains worse than ever. you fools are sadly misinformed stay the hell out unless you must then watch your ass no joke
Man i am an English man who lives in Malibu and Compton is OK.

Old 08-20-2009, 05:59 AM

2,184 posts, read 5,551,537 times
Hey impala666, maybe for you Compton is okay. With due respect, I bet you wouldn't want your daughter hangin' out there at night... I wouldn't want to drive through it at night, although I have, with fear pumping through my veins. I'm from Huntington Park & I have an idea of what it's about. Every place has potential danger at night, if you're not a tough guy with height & bulk on your side.

Old 08-20-2009, 07:09 AM

1,069 posts, read 3,272,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahkate_m View Post
Hey impala666, maybe for you Compton is okay. With due respect, I bet you wouldn't want your daughter hangin' out there at night... I wouldn't want to drive through it at night, although I have, with fear pumping through my veins. I'm from Huntington Park & I have an idea of what it's about. Every place has potential danger at night, if you're not a tough guy with height & bulk on your side.
For the most part Compton is full of decent people struggling to make their way in life.
Sure its had some bad history and is trying to get rid of that as best they can.
George Bush even lived there in 1949 but I guess that's no recommendation.
Some parts are scary if you come from the Burbs but you would have to be blind not to spot those areas.
No I would not want my kids wandering those streets and the schools are generally not good but pubic schools in Hollywood ain't that much better either.
Height and bulk just make you a bigger target!
No its not perfect nowhere is but its not Sierra Leone either.

Old 08-20-2009, 12:52 PM

1,213 posts, read 3,608,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by impala666 View Post
george bush even lived there in 1949 but i guess that's no recommendation.
lol!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles