Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2019, 03:29 PM

1,231 posts, read 1,660,835 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Srtzrg36 View Post
Hello my family and I are moving to gardena really soon. We will be located on the main street on gardena. My daughter will be attending purche avenue elementary. Do anyone have any advice for us?
I lived in that part of Gardena from 1977 to 1989 and attended the 6th grade at Purche Elementary School. The neighborhood is known as Hollypark. After my parents split up, my mother and I moved into an apartment complex located on Van Ness Avenue between 135th and 139th Streets. Our experience was mixed. The neighborhood at the time was primarily a middle-class black area; however gang activity and overall crime were increasing. In the alley behind our apartment complex, the walls and buildings would get tagged on a regular basis. I was on a first name basis with the gal in the City's graffiti abatement department.

About a month ago while visiting So Cal for a funeral, I had an opportunity to drive through Gardena on Van Ness Avenue trying to reach Artesia Boulevard and the 91 Freeway. Frankly, I wasn't all that impressed. I was almost a victim of a hit and run driver who was trying to get around a bus and almost hit my car while stopped at a traffic light on Van Ness Avenue. The traffic congestion has gotten really bad and this was before 3 p.m. The neighborhood shopping center on the corner of Van Ness and Rosecrans has gone down hill. You would need to travel two miles to the nearest decent supermarket.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles