Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2012, 01:41 PM

810 posts, read 1,343,144 times

Advertisements

I don't think any of those would have an HDMI cord, or at least a decent one if they did. Not that it matters though, it's just an observation I've made.

Those types of local businesses seem more self-sustaining than anything. Rarely about expansion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2012, 05:41 PM

3,678 posts, read 7,220,706 times
with and without mexicans los angeles would be the same it is just less mexicans and gangs

Old 12-03-2012, 01:38 AM

25 posts, read 43,458 times
The only problem with a large Mexican population provided you are comfortable with the cultural differences is the reliance on Spanish. I would say if you don't speak Spanish you will be at a considerable disadvantage getting any job that requires interaction with the general public.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali3448893 View Post
with and without mexicans los angeles would be the same it is just less mexicans and gangs
What about the FOOD!?!

Old 12-03-2012, 01:47 AM

13,583 posts, read 15,678,820 times
I like the food...I like the prices...

I Like The Food I Like The Prices

Old 12-03-2012, 09:46 AM

6,116 posts, read 12,611,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by exitus acta probat View Post
i like the food...i like the prices...

i like the food i like the prices

Old 12-10-2012, 01:13 PM

222 posts, read 232,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodbyeCalifornia View Post
Is it just the illegals that are bringing down Los Angeles? Not entirely. What is ruining Los Angeles is the overwhelming number of people that move to the area from everywhere. This includes people from within California itself and from the rest of the 49 states.

Southern California and Los Angeles, through media reporting and the endless supply of mindless, inaccurate television shows like "The OC", "Laguna Beach", and "The Hills", make it look this is "THE" place to be. And why not, the weather, the beautiful people, the stars, who wouldn't want to live here?

But all combined, this is what is driving the destruction of the area. Yes, it's supply and demand. The more people that come here, the more of a strain on the supply of goods and services. The supply is not endless nor will the cost of things remain static. The higher the demand, the higher the cost. So this is why you have ridiculously overpriced real estate. And because you have such a high cost of living and in relation higher wages, there are still enough people out there that can afford it. But that number is getting smaller each and every day.

I fully realize that to naive outsiders, So Cal and Los Angeles look like paradise. But there is a price that you pay for it. Some people have the means to fully enjoy it, while far more have to struggle and fight just to enjoy a taste of it.

I spent my entire adult life fighting to "enjoy" paradise until I finally gave up. I couldn't get ahead, in fact I was falling further behind. The is no place, NO PLACE, that is so great that you should feel like you have to sacrifice everything just to live there.

Maybe after you get your MBA, you will be one of those fortunate few that will be able to afford your time in paradise. Only you can say whether the cost will be worth it to you.
Very good post with observations of SoCal lifestyle that are dead on/ Lots of people sacrificing everything to be here. It's like a huge mental health clinic before the medicine is doled out.

Most all the people I've met here struggle to get ahead and it is not uncommon to see some get ahead only to move up into yet another struggling situation. It's madness on a grand scale. I've met owners of multiple condos living in their cars. Lots of people out here store stuff in their cars too.

SoCal has decent weather.

Lots of people starting businesses that fail at an alarming rate. Too many people thinking they are
entrepreneurs and trying to strike it rich. Too many libertarian types on left and right with fascist attitudes.

I love the circus that is SoCal. Staying sane is easy if one resists the wisdom of the crowd here

Old 12-10-2012, 01:24 PM

Lots of illegals collect trash and live lives of quiet desperation. There are whole neighborhoods one can visit where few if any work regular jobs that contribute to the economy. There is an underground economy that exists in LA. Hating illegals is silly. But it is also silly to deny ugly truths concerning illegals.

Hopefully the children of illegals will get educations that allow them to contribute to society. They are the ones who will be paying the bills in the future. They are not leaving. They are here to stay. Reality bites.

Old 12-10-2012, 01:36 PM

5,864 posts, read 15,253,654 times
I don't see lots of people breaking down the door to move here. I do in the Dallas, Houston, DC, Austin, Seattle and Charlotte areas. LA's growth has been pretty weak for a while.

Old 12-10-2012, 01:49 PM

I would love to know what zip code are the posters in here live in. When people discuss LA area their class biases show. Lots of LA County is just poor. Whole swaths of areas with run down businesses if any, and street vendors selling garbage because it's all some people can afford. Lots of people line up for free food and meals. When the Free Medical Clinic gets set up in LA every year the lines are days long. They turn people away.

LA area has it's fine points and lots to recommend it depending on what one wants out of life and what kind of denial one doesn't mind living in.

Downtown LA with it's hipster class see the glass as half full. I like to visit the Mission District and other areas. Keeps my perspective clear

Old 12-10-2012, 02:14 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,872,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastRefugee2 View Post
I would love to know what zip code are the posters in here live in. When people discuss LA area their class biases show. Lots of LA County is just poor. Whole swaths of areas with run down businesses if any, and street vendors selling garbage because it's all some people can afford. Lots of people line up for free food and meals. When the Free Medical Clinic gets set up in LA every year the lines are days long. They turn people away.

LA area has it's fine points and lots to recommend it depending on what one wants out of life and what kind of denial one doesn't mind living in.

Downtown LA with it's hipster class see the glass as half full. I like to visit the Mission District and other areas. Keeps my perspective clear
Great another East Coast expert on Los Angeles.

Nothing you say is egregiously incorrect, but the lens you show it through is a little typical of all those Los Angeles experts I met in Boston.

Oh I live in 90028. Probably one of those neighborhoods where illegals sell trash
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles