Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2007, 05:42 PM

240 posts, read 1,424,223 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UconnHusky View Post
Hello everyone,

I grew up in San Diego and during high school I moved to Connecticut as my father's job was relocated. I always wanted to move back west and my opportunity has finally arrived.

At the moment I work in Manhattan as an Investment Banker. During the next few months, I will be moving to L.A to begin the MBA program at UCLA.

I'm really confused with all of the criticism in regards to the Illegal Mexicans that reside in Los Angeles. If the city is really falling apart like I'm reading in this forum, why is Real Estate booming in the area?

The reason is obviously demand, and I'm sure Illegal Mexicans are not the ones purchasing 2 bedroom homes for $500k.

Does the great weather really compensate for the impact Illegal's have on the city? Or, is it naive people like myself from the east who are driving the real estate prices?

I'll be living in an apartment with my girlfriend during my 2 years at UCLA, but I'm hesitant about attending the school after reading this forum. Once I finish school, I was actually hoping to purchase a house in the Los Angeles area, but maybe now I should consider moving back to Connecticut or Boise, Idaho.

Thanks,
Uconn
Uconn, I moved here from San Diego about 15 years ago. I LOVED San Diego. Unfortunately, I am not able to say the same for LA, but that doesn't mean that the city is not trying very hard to improve living conditions for its residents. Actually, in the past few years, I have been pleasantly surprised with new investments in infastructure that will eventually benefit all who live here. Yes, I am talking about expanding the public transit system.

As I see it, one of the major problems here is that the freeways are overcrowded with people of all races . That does include some illegal Mexicans, some illegal Europeans, some illegal Asians, some illegal South Americans, some illegal Africans, and any other race or country you can think of that allows its citizens to reach our shores. Once they come here, they don't want to return home and who could blame them? I probably wouldn't want to return home to less of an opportunity to have a better life either; however, I do wish they would not drive their cars on our freeways.

Like others have mentioned, I think it is unfair to blame all of LA's problems on illegal Mexicans when our entire society has had a wink and nod approach to the immigration issue for so many years. Illegal Mexicans have been crossing the border to live here in the United States since the United States became a country and they were crossing the border before California was even part of the United States. It has only been during the past few years when it came to light that California was grossly mismanaged under our former governor that illegal immigration became such a huge issue because people began looking for a scape goat to blame our fiscal mismanagement problems on. Unfortunately for illegal Mexicans, they are an easy target.

Another reason why illegal Mexicans are an issue now is because we have a criminal street gang problem in LA that is often race based but not any different than the criminal street gang problem that can be found in New York. It tends to be limited to certain sections of the city and the UCLA Westwood area is not within its geographic scope.

However, as a grad student at UCLA, you will likely not notice LA's illegal Mexican population. They will be the ones mowing your lawn while you are in school, serving as a nanny for your fellow grad students with young children, bussing your table when you go out to a restaurant to celebrate passing an exam, cleaning the stadiums after a major sporting event, and basicly hiding in the background taking care of all the mundane tasks that most Americans no longer want to work hard to perform.

Actually, a lot of illegal Mexicans are house owners in LA and they do live in the $500,000 homes. You do not have to prove citizenship to purchase a home. The banking industry routinely relaxes standards to try to accomodate this group. I think it is because they won't be able to apply for bankruptcy if they default, but many think I'm cynical.

Renting for two years will probably be a better idea for you, especially since the housing market is in such flux right now and some say housing prices are declining.

Congratulations on getting into a very competitive program at UCLA. Enjoy!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2007, 03:58 PM

182 posts, read 928,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ananas View Post
I can't even believe many of the comments on this board. A real eye opener indeed. Since when did Mexicans = bad? And Black/brown = "stay away from?" Perhaps I'm kidding myself and it's always been that way. I guess I just didn't expect such comments so openly on a public forum.

Anyway, in response to the post, I agree with every comment encouraging you to attend UCLA. You must not pass up an opportunity for an excellent education at a top rated business school simply because of people you fear are illegal. I attended UCLA law school and although it never occurred to me to stay away from brown/black people (perhaps 'cos I'm black), ilelgal immigrants was never an issue for me. I lived a little outside of Westwood, I lived with many whites, latin, Asians and blacks -- and their legal status was never a concern 'cos it wasn't an issue.

Look, with an MBA from UCLA, you'll (in the next 5 to 10 years) be able to live as close or as far away from any group of people you'd like.
Hello! Intersting side issue that has come up here. When did Mexicans+ Bad? When their cities and towns in Mexico emptied out and they moved here. I am not kidding. There are more illegal Mexicans living in our country than any other single class of people. Period. The word ILLEGAL is the operative word here. Think about it. What happens when a large population from one country migrates into another country illlegally? Social services becomes overwhelmed with people wanting help. Medical services become overwhelmed and systems go broke for lack of payment. Roads get clogged by people driving without USA licenses, insurance, language or driving knowledg. Schools are overloaded and sidetracked into teaching ESL and teaching illegal foreign students in their native language! Needs of American chilfren fall by the wayside. American citizens in need cannot access the systems for help and there is not enough funding to accomaodate everyone. Housing funding grants cannot even begin to help all Americans and all illegals have a roof over their heads. Keep thinking about it. I am so tired of hereing AMericans say that "...they are the labor force doing the jobs that Americans refuse to do." PLEASE! Not true! American employers hire illegal Mexicans illegally, paying them "under the table" if you can call the substandard wages "pay". More like slavery. Restaurants and construction company owners and homeowners do not repoort these wages, do not pay taxes on them, do not pay workers comp. on/for these people, etc. etc. Greedy, Greedy business owners and homeowners! More money in their pocket! Honest employers go out of business because there is no way to follow the laws and stay competitive with the businesses that are cheating. And to say that all Americans hire the illegal Mexican because Americans wonn't do the work is not true. Americans won't work for $3 or $5 an hour. These are the Americans being displaced from the jobs, occupations, and businesses they used to hold. The Americans doing the hiring are taking advantage of the illegals. They hire them and treat them as slaves or pets or subhuman. It is slavery with a few dollars thrown at it so they can tell themselves that it is not slavery. Americans arrogantly proclaim that they are doing the illegals a favor, How is it helping someone to pay them substandard wages and treat them as "less-than"? How is it good to lock American citizens out of many classifications of work because they want the employer to follow the laws, pay them fairly, treat them well? Grrr! What a mess! I used to be only angry at my gov't for this but now I am unhappy with Americans who foster the mess by their arrogance and actions, as well. Worse yet, so many of these illegals are not interested in integrating and assimilating into our country. They are demanding that we change our language, our customs, our laws and our rules to accomodate them. They demad rights before they have fulfilled their obligations of responsibility starting with respecting our country and waiting their turn to come here.
omg! I have been put out of business due to this mess! Check out the forum threads that have been set up to discuss this issue of illegal immigration. This is not immigration. This is an invasion and takeover of our country without an open war. This is insdious, covert, clever. And most Americans are to apathetic to research this subject to learn the truth or they are stuck in denial. Listen to what they say publicly. Read about the agenda that is acted on and stated opoenly. Wake up and throw these foreigners out of your country before your country is no longer yours. Look down the road intelligently to see where your greedy business practices are leading us. Read about the struggles of Americans who live on the border. This is real. And it is not just in California or the border states. It is everywhere. And there are other nationalities taking a clue and doing the same thing. Sacramento is dealing with the illegal Russians and businesses there are impacted by them as well as the illegal Mexicans. I had a young Mexican girl in my tax class. She and her friend spoke english just fine, but ignored us Americans and spoke constantly in Spanish, which I understand. Their words about us and our country were not kind. They feel safe thinking we are too stupid and do not know their language. She and her husband owned a brand new 100k Rv, brand new expensive luxury cars and collected money from the system, posing as poor Mexicans. They got money and helathcare and groceries from the State for them and their children. Free education, etc., etc. I know, you do not believe me, but it is true. Ask legal Mexican immigrant families about it. They are even tired of it. All other classes of immigrants have to wait for permission to live here and wait for citizenship. These folks are just granted amnesty just because!
hmmmm...you know what, perhpas I have gotten a bit long winded here, maybe even off the original topic. But, I am very passioante aobut this issue and am directly effected by it. Please forgive me if this is a bit long. This issue may look like bigotry or racism at a quick glance, but it is not all.

Old 04-14-2007, 07:47 PM

989 posts, read 5,927,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmouwse View Post
Hello! Intersting side issue that has come up here. When did Mexicans+ Bad? When their cities and towns in Mexico emptied out and they moved here. I am not kidding. There are more illegal Mexicans living in our country than any other single class of people. Period. The word ILLEGAL is the operative word here. Think about it. What happens when a large population from one country migrates into another country illlegally? Social services becomes overwhelmed with people wanting help. Medical services become overwhelmed and systems go broke for lack of payment. Roads get clogged by people driving without USA licenses, insurance, language or driving knowledg. Schools are overloaded and sidetracked into teaching ESL and teaching illegal foreign students in their native language! Needs of American chilfren fall by the wayside. American citizens in need cannot access the systems for help and there is not enough funding to accomaodate everyone. Housing funding grants cannot even begin to help all Americans and all illegals have a roof over their heads. Keep thinking about it. I am so tired of hereing AMericans say that "...they are the labor force doing the jobs that Americans refuse to do." PLEASE! Not true! American employers hire illegal Mexicans illegally, paying them "under the table" if you can call the substandard wages "pay". More like slavery. Restaurants and construction company owners and homeowners do not repoort these wages, do not pay taxes on them, do not pay workers comp. on/for these people, etc. etc. Greedy, Greedy business owners and homeowners! More money in their pocket! Honest employers go out of business because there is no way to follow the laws and stay competitive with the businesses that are cheating. And to say that all Americans hire the illegal Mexican because Americans wonn't do the work is not true. Americans won't work for $3 or $5 an hour. These are the Americans being displaced from the jobs, occupations, and businesses they used to hold. The Americans doing the hiring are taking advantage of the illegals. They hire them and treat them as slaves or pets or subhuman. It is slavery with a few dollars thrown at it so they can tell themselves that it is not slavery. Americans arrogantly proclaim that they are doing the illegals a favor, How is it helping someone to pay them substandard wages and treat them as "less-than"? How is it good to lock American citizens out of many classifications of work because they want the employer to follow the laws, pay them fairly, treat them well? Grrr! What a mess! I used to be only angry at my gov't for this but now I am unhappy with Americans who foster the mess by their arrogance and actions, as well. Worse yet, so many of these illegals are not interested in integrating and assimilating into our country. They are demanding that we change our language, our customs, our laws and our rules to accomodate them. They demad rights before they have fulfilled their obligations of responsibility starting with respecting our country and waiting their turn to come here.
omg! I have been put out of business due to this mess! Check out the forum threads that have been set up to discuss this issue of illegal immigration. This is not immigration. This is an invasion and takeover of our country without an open war. This is insdious, covert, clever. And most Americans are to apathetic to research this subject to learn the truth or they are stuck in denial. Listen to what they say publicly. Read about the agenda that is acted on and stated opoenly. Wake up and throw these foreigners out of your country before your country is no longer yours. Look down the road intelligently to see where your greedy business practices are leading us. Read about the struggles of Americans who live on the border. This is real. And it is not just in California or the border states. It is everywhere. And there are other nationalities taking a clue and doing the same thing. Sacramento is dealing with the illegal Russians and businesses there are impacted by them as well as the illegal Mexicans. I had a young Mexican girl in my tax class. She and her friend spoke english just fine, but ignored us Americans and spoke constantly in Spanish, which I understand. Their words about us and our country were not kind. They feel safe thinking we are too stupid and do not know their language. She and her husband owned a brand new 100k Rv, brand new expensive luxury cars and collected money from the system, posing as poor Mexicans. They got money and helathcare and groceries from the State for them and their children. Free education, etc., etc. I know, you do not believe me, but it is true. Ask legal Mexican immigrant families about it. They are even tired of it. All other classes of immigrants have to wait for permission to live here and wait for citizenship. These folks are just granted amnesty just because!
hmmmm...you know what, perhpas I have gotten a bit long winded here, maybe even off the original topic. But, I am very passioante aobut this issue and am directly effected by it. Please forgive me if this is a bit long. This issue may look like bigotry or racism at a quick glance, but it is not all.
Thank you for reply. You're a smart guy. However, if we don't get off the subject of illegal immigration this thread will be thrown out. Let's get back to the issues at hand before Sandy CO decides to ditch this.

Old 06-01-2007, 05:29 PM

334 posts, read 286,431 times
California has to pay $80 Billion every year in federal taxes that gets used by other states.

California is being drained by poor midwestern and southern states.

It is sad what is happening. The only way to fix this, is to keep a keen eye for illegals from other states who do not have California citizenship.

Old 11-27-2012, 07:32 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,816,470 times
'Dangerous UCLA' and other problematic rankings - latimes.com

Old 11-27-2012, 11:50 AM

2,440 posts, read 3,434,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodbyeCalifornia View Post
Is it just the illegals that are bringing down Los Angeles? Not entirely. What is ruining Los Angeles is the overwhelming number of people that move to the area from everywhere. This includes people from within California itself and from the rest of the 49 states.

I fully realize that to naive outsiders, So Cal and Los Angeles look like paradise. But there is a price that you pay for it. Some people have the means to fully enjoy it, while far more have to struggle and fight just to enjoy a taste of it.

I spent my entire adult life fighting to "enjoy" paradise until I finally gave up. I couldn't get ahead, in fact I was falling further behind. There is NO PLACE, that is so great that you should feel like you have to sacrifice everything just to live...
This basically explains why I think L.A. is the GREATEST city in America. But unfortunately, why I also had to leave. Just too many people, especially the exploitative greedy kind, rushing in too rapidly.

Old 11-27-2012, 01:32 PM

1,045 posts, read 1,637,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UconnHusky View Post
Hello everyone,

I grew up in San Diego and during high school I moved to Connecticut as my father's job was relocated. I always wanted to move back west and my opportunity has finally arrived.

At the moment I work in Manhattan as an Investment Banker. During the next few months, I will be moving to L.A to begin the MBA program at UCLA.

I'm really confused with all of the criticism in regards to the Illegal Mexicans that reside in Los Angeles. If the city is really falling apart like I'm reading in this forum, why is Real Estate booming in the area?

The reason is obviously demand, and I'm sure Illegal Mexicans are not the ones purchasing 2 bedroom homes for $500k.

Does the great weather really compensate for the impact Illegal's have on the city? Or, is it naive people like myself from the east who are driving the real estate prices?

I'll be living in an apartment with my girlfriend during my 2 years at UCLA, but I'm hesitant about attending the school after reading this forum. Once I finish school, I was actually hoping to purchase a house in the Los Angeles area, but maybe now I should consider moving back to Connecticut or Boise, Idaho.

Thanks,
Uconn
Don't listen to these people. Illegals make the economy of LA work and they always have. Sure they aren't paying income tax but they are working the jobs no one wants and etc., the only people you hear saying that crap are some right-wing xenophobes.

Old 11-27-2012, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by puffle View Post
Miracle, Please read Majoun's post again, she did not refer to all of the Valley as similar to South Central. Just parts of the North East Valley, like Pacoima,Van Nuys, Panorama City and deep North Hollywood. There are more good parts of the Valley to me having grown up there, than bad, but that could just be my optomistic nature.
Been to both and although low income, it's not south central. These forums really do show how some of you people are really in a bubble when it comes to status and etc., They say one mans trash is another man's treasure...boy do you people think a lot of places are trash that aren't trash at all, they just aren't high class. That's one of the few complaints I have about LA, very classist! People's view of what's trashy and low-class is very distorted.

Old 11-27-2012, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the one View Post
but if you venture out of westwood/westside, your interaction will also be limited and you will probably see that most of these people/mexicans that people complain about are just hard workers. it really is not that bad. DONT BELIEVE THE HYPE.
That's always been my mentality. People in this city are really paranoid when it comes to people and/or places that don't look like them or fit their definition of up-to-par.

Old 11-27-2012, 01:52 PM

2,963 posts, read 5,457,021 times
If you're in an MBA then you'll appreciate that Los Angeles has consistently the highest rate of entrepreneurship in the nation. That is, indeed, bolstered by foreign immigration, Latino and otherwise (whether they're illegal, how can one tell?), and recently due to the economic crisis. The area graduates more tech students than anywhere else too, and the Westside is emerging as a tech hub for those who had previously moved elsewhere. You'll be in a good place to investigate possibilities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles