Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2007, 05:46 PM

2,882 posts, read 5,923,385 times

Advertisements

Anderson is a dream school, if you get an MBA from there, you're basically set for life. Worrying about illegals would be the last thing on my mind.

Westwood is fun. There's movie premieres over there all the time. There's nice shops and restaurants; its not as trendy as the promenade in Santa Monica or the Grove, but it's in the top 10-20% of all of LA in terms of being a nice area.

USC on the other hand is in the middle of a ghetto...bullet proof glass at the KFC a few blocks away. Its the polar opposite of westwood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2007, 05:48 PM

989 posts, read 5,945,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ananas View Post
I can't even believe many of the comments on this board. A real eye opener indeed. Since when did Mexicans = bad? And Black/brown = "stay away from?"
Mexicans don't necessarily mean "bad." Just happens to be the stereotype when 12 million of them are loitering outside of Home Depot.

But since illegals dragged down California schools from 3rd to #48th in the nation. Border state, Arizona, ranks last.

Last edited by newportbeachsmostwanted; 03-12-2007 at 06:00 PM..

Old 03-12-2007, 11:15 PM

644 posts, read 3,330,041 times
I don't get this insane focus on Mexicans. I think the government wants us to focus on illegal immigration so that we don't focus on the real problem our economy is having -- most of our jobs are being shipped off to countries like China and India. It's not the Mexicans swooping in on us, its the government that is allowing large corporations to get work done elsewhere.

We in California have much to thank our Mexican friends for. They are the ones who clean our homes, keep our lawns in great shape, and cook all of our food. Yes, that's right, every fancy restaurant in town employees Mexicans. And we love Mexican food! You can't find Mexican food this good anywhere else in the country.

What's more, Mexicans are wonderful, friendly, hard working, honest, helpful people. If your car breaks down on the road, trust me, it's be a Latino that pulls over to help you.

I think once you get here, you'll embrace the Mexican heritage here in Los Angeles. You'll learn to put salsa on your scrambled eggs and visit a few of the wonderful taco stands about town. Enjoy!

Old 03-12-2007, 11:25 PM

1 posts, read 2,893 times
Hey UconnHusky, I just moved from So. Cal to Wichita Ks. I have never been so relaxed in my entire life! You can go to UCLA and get a good education,live within the area,but. You have to learn to deal with all the illeagals. I'm American-Mexican and I had it with all the illeagals. Nobody speaks English and all the businesses cater to their languages. Now don't get me wrong or misunderstand me when I say illeagals. There are others besides hisspanics. That state is so over crowded. There are too many people on the road at all hours of the day and night. You will always wait in lines where ever you go. Always plan accordingly. And the people will not wait for you, so hurry up. I bought a house in a small suburb 19 miles east of LA in 2003 for 231,000. I just sold it in Dec. for 476,000. Why? Because of supply and demand. Too many people. And yes it was sold to a hisspanic family. Can you imagine paying 3,000 a month? I ask the question: how do they afford it? By having more than one family occupy it.Good luck and I hope things will be happy for you now and in the future.

Old 03-13-2007, 03:13 AM

17,439 posts, read 28,779,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newportbeachsmostwanted View Post
But since illegals dragged down California schools from 3rd to #48th in the nation. Border state, Arizona, ranks last.
I guess you don't remember something called Proposition 13?
When California's schools were in the top 10 in the USA, California property taxes were much higher. There's an old saying "you get what you pay for".

Immigration problems certainly have made matters worse but even if they did not exist most of the same problems would still be here.

Old 03-13-2007, 06:55 AM

989 posts, read 5,945,251 times
We would NOT be 48th if the Mexicans never came. Plain and simple.

Old 03-13-2007, 09:36 AM

1,703 posts, read 6,488,521 times
It's 'em Dawn Gawn Illegal Varments

Old 03-13-2007, 10:37 AM

644 posts, read 3,330,041 times
ka-cal,

You sold your house for $476,000 not because of supply and demand, but because of the government lowered interest rates and banks introduced fancy financing like no-money-down and ARMs to create what is called a "housing bubble."

Artie

Old 03-13-2007, 01:42 PM

17,439 posts, read 28,779,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newportbeachsmostwanted View Post
We would NOT be 48th if the Mexicans never came. Plain and simple.
They were coming when we were in the top 10.

IMO, if not for Prop 13 the negative externalities of the immigration crisis would have been far reduced.

The opponents of Prop 13 made predictions that if it passed, crime, gangs, etc. would increase, services, infrastructure, schools, etc. would suffer, blight would increase, the middle class would disappear, etc. etc. They predicted much of what was to come. And that was in 1978!

Another negative effect of Prop 13 has been to create unequal classes of property ownership, with longtime residents paying very low property taxes while new residents pay higher taxes.

It's time to repeal Prop 13. What a shame that Arnold had to back down from his talk of getting rid of it due to political pressure.

Old 03-13-2007, 03:12 PM

252 posts, read 1,130,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artichoke63 View Post
ka-cal,

You sold your house for $476,000 not because of supply and demand, but because of the government lowered interest rates and banks introduced fancy financing like no-money-down and ARMs to create what is called a "housing bubble."

Artie
I learned in skool if there are many buyers and a limited amount of anything, prices go up due to "finite" supply & "many who" demand.

Last i checked, the gov't & banks don't force people into buying homes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles