Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-15-2008, 03:53 PM

3 posts, read 4,726 times

Advertisements

Ok, I have a job in palmdale starting in January. I am a 24 yr old, single, female and flat out refuse to live there as its so far from everything. I will be going against rush hour and can work flex hours, so I don't mind driving an hour each way. That is not the issue.

I am not familiar with the area and originally from upstate NY. I am relocating for employment reasons and will be making around $70K. I am a mid 20s female that works a job but likes to have fun, go out, workout, and be active in my free time.

Also, I am moving WITHOUT knowing a single person and my closest friend living in MN. I don't mind getting out and goin to a HH or somewhere to meet people, but am wondering about advice on where to live?

I was thinking somewhere north of LA or even west towards Santa Monica because I realize there is some cute fun shops, bars that you can walk to. I like that feel or a place where i dont have to drive 30 minutes when i want to go out on a weekend. I will look to find a roommate to live a little cheaper, and can afford between 1000-1700 a month. Also, I dont want to be in a seedy location where i have to be nervous because i am a single young female.

Whats some peoples thoughts on places to look?? I was hearing West LA, Santa Monica, Sherman Oaks, Studio City? I appreciate any feedback I can get as its hard to plot a course of where to look without knowing the area! Thanks so much!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2008, 04:02 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,748,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erms32 View Post
Ok, I have a job in palmdale starting in January. I am a 24 yr old, single, female and flat out refuse to live there as its so far from everything. I will be going against rush hour and can work flex hours, so I don't mind driving an hour each way. That is not the issue.

I am not familiar with the area and originally from upstate NY. I am relocating for employment reasons and will be making around $70K. I am a mid 20s female that works a job but likes to have fun, go out, workout, and be active in my free time.

Also, I am moving WITHOUT knowing a single person and my closest friend living in MN. I don't mind getting out and goin to a HH or somewhere to meet people, but am wondering about advice on where to live?

I was thinking somewhere north of LA or even west towards Santa Monica because I realize there is some cute fun shops, bars that you can walk to. I like that feel or a place where i dont have to drive 30 minutes when i want to go out on a weekend. I will look to find a roommate to live a little cheaper, and can afford between 1000-1700 a month. Also, I dont want to be in a seedy location where i have to be nervous because i am a single young female.

Whats some peoples thoughts on places to look?? I was hearing West LA, Santa Monica, Sherman Oaks, Studio City? I appreciate any feedback I can get as its hard to plot a course of where to look without knowing the area! Thanks so much!!!!!

Where in upstate NY?

Santa Clarita is probably the closest thing with anything you might like. SC is very suburban, family, soccer, SFR, SUV, minivan, etc. Living any farther south will wipe you out and besides, there isn't anything further south until you do get to the Ventura Freeway corridor, Studio City, Burbank, something like that. Northridge has a university there but it is the ultimate commuter school - probably not too much happening.

One other idea would be Pasadena and commute via 210/5/14 or Angeles Forest Highway. That would be a long drive. Google maps Pasadena to Palmdale via 210/5/14 is 65 min; via AFH is 1:23.

You have a problem.

Old 11-15-2008, 04:24 PM

1,297 posts, read 5,508,903 times
Charles has a good suggestion.
You may also want to consider Glendale, then commute up the 5 frwy to the 14 frwy. Probably about 1 hour.

Santa Monica & West LA will be too far, especially on the return home even off hours.

Have you discussed housing and transportation cost participation with your employer? If I was stuck in palmdale, I would have a place in palmdale during the week and a weekend small studio in manhattan beach for friday, sat, & sun. Its nice to have a 2nd home. You can even have roomates at one or the other place to offset costs.

Old 11-15-2008, 05:04 PM

While that sounds like a fantastic idea and very exciting (2 places), I am pretty sure my employer will not help with that! We are talking major corporation afterall :-) i will need to fight for a COLA since I am coming from DC. I certainly did have that thought cross my mind though, living there weekdays and come down on weekends! Seems like that will run too high.
The other part to this, is that I might be going to UCLA in the fall on a part time basis (will find out in December). When I was out for interview, I was able to time my ride from Palmdale to Van Nuys at 45 minutes. I figure i have another 15-30 minutes before I believe it to be too far. I haven't checked into Pasadena or Glendale but noticed them on the maps. I feared the alternative route might get tough in storms or winter time?

I drive an hour each way now, so a drive scare me. id like to be by entertainment and excitement but there is a limit (im not living upward of 70 miles away).

Old 11-15-2008, 08:24 PM

1,297 posts, read 5,508,903 times
If you will be going to UCLA as well, then your going to be doing a lot of driving.

Driving up the 14 is not problem, but from Pasadena through the Angeles Forest may be slow going and difficult during the 5-6 days we actually have rainstorms here.

The good news is that you can actually get a really cheap studio in & near westwood for about 1,000 per month. They come up frequently as the semesters/terms end & begin.

If you are truly going to be driving at very off hours to palmdale, including the return trip, and mix that in with UCLA attendance, you may as well stay close to UCLA and take advantage of the area as it has what your looking for. Driving a long commute for both doesn't make sense.

Old 11-16-2008, 02:18 AM

52 posts, read 196,711 times
Palmdale to work and school @ UCLA? wow. Good luck Seriously, that's a good 3 hours of your life everyday in a car. I may be exaggerating a bit, but really I am not far off. I live in West LA, work about 4 miles away and go to UCLA 2 nights a week and its about as much driving as I can stand. I can pretty much bike to either place in about the same time as driving. Its not the distance, its the traffic. 15 miles can take 1 hour or 10 minutes depending on when you drive. But more that former.

Old 11-16-2008, 02:39 PM

I know its super far and not ideal, but necessary to do for now. I already spend 2-3 hours in a car a day, so its not an adjustment for me. While it certainly isn't ideal, I am used to it.

And thanks, you confirm that the alternative route might take quite a bit longer. I will try to keep it with going up Route 14. So are there any other places I should check out on my 'househunting trip'?

Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles