Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2012, 10:24 AM

6 posts, read 6,221 times

Advertisements

Hey, everyone...I'm wanting to relocate to Los Angeles for the entertainment career (me and everyone else, I know). I've already spent a semester internship with a major production company there, but had to move back home to complete school, etc. I graduated a year ago, but haven't been able to move because of financial setbacks. As soon as I'd get money saved, the car would break down or something. Anyway, I've got about $5,000 saved now, the car's fine, and I don't have anything tying me down at home. The thing is, transferring with my current job isn't an option, so I'd be starting over in L.A.

I've heard people say that if you're gonna rely on savings to get you by for a while, you should have upwards of $10,000 saved. But the more time that goes by after my internship, the bigger risk I have of losing my contacts. I'm also 31 (left school for a while and went back), so it's not like I'm a young 22 year-old with plenty of time. I'm so frustrated with my current situation that I'm depressed, and crying because I've had these ambitions for years of working and living in Cali, making a life for myself there. People who know about those ambitions keep seeing me still here and say "I thought you were in California," or "You're still here?" Makes me feel like a failure. According to them, it should be as easy as just picking up and going.

Basically, I need some objective opinions on what I should do. Is $5,000 enough to get me started? Have others here risked moving to L.A. without a job and things worked out? How difficult will it be to find housing without employment? Thanks to anyone who responds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2012, 02:01 PM

1,298 posts, read 1,826,207 times
5K doesn't go too far here - of course people do it with less but you don't have much of a safety net.
Your best bet would be to find a room or some type of housing share arrangement. If you try to rent an apartment on your own without a job you most likely would end up investing your entire savings in first, last and a higher security deposit becacaue you don't have a job.
There are inexpensive week to week hotel rooms to be found but you have to be VERY careful with those. Also, if you have a car, you have to be concerned about parking.
You say you have contacts, can any of them help you with housing, at least temporailly?
You also say you want to get into the "entertainment" field", is that as an actor? If so,you obviously need a job with flexibility for auditions/interviews etc. You will need head shots, get an agent and all of that - again, do you have any conenctions that can help you there.
It goes without saying that getting into any part of the entertainment field is extraordinarily difficult. You will be putting yourself under a lot of pressure to find a place to live and getting an income stream established.
Like I said, people have done it with less but you cannot second guess your decision to go for it. Good luck with your choice.

Old 06-07-2012, 02:06 PM

1,487 posts, read 1,789,805 times
i knew plenty of people that did what you did...usually they leave penniless back to where they came from

the more money u got the longer u stay the better your chances i reckon..but it's like buying 2 lottery tickets instead of one...yeah ur chances double but they're still ****e lol

Old 06-07-2012, 04:29 PM

6 posts, read 6,221 times
I do plan on getting a room, and don't want to spend more than $600-700/month on rent. I've seen ads with decent rooms in decent locations for this price. No way will I be able to rent my own place. Also, I don't want to be an actor. I like writing/producing/development, which is the area I worked in during my internship. The contacts I have with that company are strictly professional, and I wouldn't feel comfortable asking for a place to stay. Yes, I do plan on trying to set up a job with those contacts before I go, but I've been told - by some of them - that I need to be living in L.A. before they'll consider me for a job. So, I'm not counting on having a job to go to, although I suppose it's possible. I tried to budget a month's expenses to about $1500, which means I'll be covered for 3 months with $5,000. I do feel that more would be preferable, but I don't know if I can wait until I've got $10,000. That will be some time yet. I just wanted to see where I stand now in the opinion of others who have made the move or who live there. Thanks.

Old 06-07-2012, 04:46 PM

1,298 posts, read 1,826,207 times
Ok, sounds realistic to me. I do hope your contacts can through with a job for you as that (stating the obvious) is going to be huge in your ability to stay beyond 3 months.
Careful budgeting should get you that far but just know you will feel enormous pressure! Of course, now's the time before you get any entanglements/obligations/relationships to go for it and I truly wish you all the best.

Old 06-07-2012, 09:25 PM

491 posts, read 2,291,958 times
If it's going to eat at you, then just do it. But give yourself a deadline and if you don't have a good job in the industry by that deadline, go to Plan B. You should HAVE a Plan B though.

Also, even if you have to rent a tiny room, live in the areas where you will meet more people in entertainment - I would live in West Hollywood or Hollywood.

Old 06-07-2012, 10:52 PM

129 posts, read 317,034 times
What I wanted to say was just to go for it and make that move! You have more than enough money and are just wasting your life if you sit around trying to save more, more, more. Something could always come along and take that money (such as more car repairs) and you'll still be sitting there miserable. My husband and I have moved to LA on a A LOT less in the past and did fine. Good luck!

Old 06-07-2012, 11:40 PM

378 posts, read 761,658 times
And look at jobs you could apply for before even arriving here, that you could interview for when you get to California. It'll help with applying for a rental if you score that job right away. And don't limit yourself to just entertainment industry as far as the initial job goes. Everyone knows the "waiting tables till your big break" cliche, but it doesn't hurt to land a day job to get you here and on a financial footing so you can start networking and going after the job you really want. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles