Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2008, 04:02 PM

11 posts, read 56,553 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I recently graduated with my Master's in Elementary Education and will be moving to California within the next few months (after I get a job, of course!).

With that being said, what are some good, but not all that expensive places to live? Santa Monica, LA, North Hollywood, San Diego, Sacramento? I will be renting an apartment somewhere. I am not familiar with any of the areas, but want to be in a safe, yet trendy area. Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2008, 04:27 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,223,289 times
finding for a teaching position anywhere in CA is going to be difficult with the governor's recent education budget cuts. if you are set on moving to CA, i'd be more worried about where to get a job rather than where to live.

Old 06-13-2008, 09:04 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,855,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpkin_82 View Post
I recently graduated with my Master's in Elementary Education and will be moving to California within the next few months (after I get a job, of course!).

With that being said, what are some good, but not all that expensive places to live?
Why are you moving to California?
What do you expect your housing budget to be?

Old 06-13-2008, 09:36 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,489,862 times
I hope you're bilingual.

Old 06-13-2008, 09:46 PM

2,589 posts, read 8,646,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpkin_82 View Post
Hi everyone,

With that being said, what are some good, but not all that expensive places to live? Santa Monica, LA, North Hollywood, San Diego, Sacramento? I will be renting an apartment somewhere. I am not familiar with any of the areas, but want to be in a safe, yet trendy area. Any suggestions?

Thanks!
come back and ask after you've secured a teaching job. LAUSD is huge and there are dozens of smaller districts scattered throughout the area. you'll want to know where you'll be working before you commit to a neighborhood.

Old 06-13-2008, 10:14 PM

207 posts, read 800,395 times
I hate to bust your bubble, but unless you have a great deal of money to spend on even the smallest of condo's in a more expensive enclave or an equal valued leased space, the trendy areas that are additionally "safe" are pretty much out of reach as are just average suburban "safe" areas which are minimal in number. In fact, there is always an element of unsafe here in varying degrees. It never leaves your psyche.

For the average incomed, it is a lifestyle of always "settling" for the sake of good weather. I have never experienced a place so hung-up on weather in lieu of a more even-keeled environment in most other ways which would far better add to one's overall well-being.

This is no longer the land of The Beach Boys and it all is so out of hand that you will arrive here and say, "What happened?" This is especially true of southern California. Your best bet would be to head further north, but the pricing and socio tightrope may not be that much different, but I may be wrong.

After hoping to be able to feel comfortable enough to settle here, I have elected to head out primarily because I do not see it getting better anytime soon; and if it is going to get even a little worse, I do not want to be anywhere near the place.

But in the end, you should follow your instinct whereever that may lead.

Good luck to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles