Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2008, 03:18 PM

10 posts, read 29,784 times

Advertisements

HI! I am a mom planning a move to California with my two middle-school boys. They will both be in 6th grade next year. The two cities I am looking into are Carlsbad (North county San Diego) and L.A. L.A would be a better option for my work situation, but although I have been there many times... I am not very familiar with the area. The main reason for our move is to better my children's education situation. Florida does not have the highest quality schools and my oldest is in an ESE program from autistic children. I would like to know from the L.A locals about the best middle school areas in L.A as well as the best (and most affordable) residential areas. I think we will end up with a three bdrm house or apt. depending on cost. If you know Carlsbad... info on the schools... residential areas there are helpful as well... Thanks in advance... Kim
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2008, 03:43 PM

1,786 posts, read 6,912,417 times
Hi caberstory! If you've looked around on the board much, you'll find that most are not impressed (rightfully so!) with the state of the education system in California, let alone Los Angeles. It's pretty miserable in the LA Unified School District. What you WILL find is what one would expect . . . the best schools are located in the best neighborhoods and most are NOT LAUSD schools. There are many good school districts from Malibu to Palos Verdes along the coast, as well as Pasadena and others more inland. But they're the exceptions. There are also many good private schools if that's an option for you.

You don't say if you'll be looking to purchase a home or rent. But most of the areas with the good schools will run >$600K for a 2-3BR home and the rents will likely be minimum $2K/mo for a family-friendly place.

Sorry, can't speak to Carlsbad, but I know others on the board will be able to answer for it. And, I'm sure, you'll get some great school tool links from the folks around here.

Old 04-16-2008, 03:50 PM

Thank you for the info. I figured the best schools are in the most expensive neighborhoods. That is the case everywhere... Anyway... I am open to info on private schools as well. CA is one of the FEW states with exceptional autism programs.... and we need a great autism program for my oldest. I definitely cannot afford to buy. I am in the same housing crises as all of you in CA and hope to rent my home in FL as I KNOW it will not sell. The CA living expense is considerably higher than FL living expense... so I will most likely live in a three bdrm apt unless a great rent comes up on a house in a great school district. Everything happens for a reason and I'm hoping for all our ducks to form in a row.... We'll see....... So what are the "expensive" yet great school areas?... Thanks again!!! ~Kim

Old 04-16-2008, 04:28 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,525,710 times
You should really be looking in one of the more affordable parts of California. Think Sacramento, Fresno, Riverside, etc.

Old 04-16-2008, 04:41 PM

Default My work limits my options...

My work limits me to a few cities nationwide. LA is a city I could easily work.... other than LA is New York, Las Vegas, Chicago and Orlando.... I am in a bit of a 'box"... for the needs of my career. NYC, Vegas and Chicago are much less desirable to me than LA...

Old 04-16-2008, 05:27 PM

1,786 posts, read 6,912,417 times
Here are a few, relatively recent, threads that have addressed your questions.

Best Elementary School Districts Middle Schools in these areas are good as well
Private Schools in the South Bay
Nice Middle Class Neighborhoods

Old 04-16-2008, 06:29 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,945,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caberstory View Post
HI! I am a mom planning a move to California with my two middle-school boys. .....L.A would be a better option for my work situation,....The main reason for our move is to better my children's education situation.
What line of work are you in?
Where (in California) will you be working?
What is your budget for housing?

Old 04-16-2008, 06:39 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,763,122 times
carslbad is one of the more upscale communities in san diego.

san diego in general is a better place to raise a kid in my opinion.

Old 04-16-2008, 06:41 PM

2,589 posts, read 8,654,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caberstory View Post
Thank you for the info. I figured the best schools are in the most expensive neighborhoods. That is the case everywhere... Anyway... I am open to info on private schools as well. CA is one of the FEW states with exceptional autism programs.... and we need a great autism program for my oldest. I definitely cannot afford to buy. I am in the same housing crises as all of you in CA and hope to rent my home in FL as I KNOW it will not sell. The CA living expense is considerably higher than FL living expense... so I will most likely live in a three bdrm apt unless a great rent comes up on a house in a great school district. Everything happens for a reason and I'm hoping for all our ducks to form in a row.... We'll see....... So what are the "expensive" yet great school areas?... Thanks again!!! ~Kim
i hope you aren't expecting to find those "exceptional autism programs" in LA public schools. i have an acquaintance who makes a great living suing LAUSD and other local school districts for IDEA non-compliance. you might want to consider someplace like the HELP group.

Old 04-16-2008, 07:39 PM

5,612 posts, read 15,142,423 times
Try Parents magazine. They often have listings of alternative schools. I believe the Westside, Santa Monica and Brentwood have schools for special education children. Of course a three bedroom will be around $3,000.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles