Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2023, 06:00 AM

1,917 posts, read 1,281,664 times

Advertisements

I have lived on the east coast my whole life. I am from NJ, but currently reside in Atlanta. I have been in Atlanta for a while now, and over the next 2 years, I would like to make a change. Kinda tired of the humidity, racism and politics here in the southeast. I don't mind going back home to the northeast, but I am very outdoorsy and I don't want to deal with the long winters at this point (maybe when I'm older, haha). I know people that have moved to southern CA, and they say they really like it (LA area).

Heres the rundown:
I am 36M
Single, no kids (hopefully future)
I don't do night life too much, but I enjoy doing things on the weekends
I like close circles of friends
I don't do politics
I like being around the 25 - 45 year old crowd
Quirky art/music areas are a plus
I make approximately $85k in my field currently
I am a homeowner currently (I own a condo in the city)
I love the city. Not so much the suburbs. However, right on the outskirts of the city would be ok if it fits budget
I like hot/warm weather, with very mild winters (see below for reasoning)

Hobbies:
I am a car guy
Outdoorsy
I am an AVID cyclist (road and gravel riding). I go on rides anytime I get the chance.
Regarding being a cyclist, I enjoy being into local cycling communities to meet people to ride with.

These are all very important things about myself that I take into consideration. I would like to buy a home (or a condo/townhouse with garage). I enjoy being a homeowner, although I wouldn't mind renting for a little until I get settled in.

So considering all above, can you all suggest me cities not far from LA, or neighborhoods in LA that would fit best for me? I understand I would have to visit myself and spend a little time. What I am attempting to do here is weed out areas that would not fit me at all. I am open to other areas of SoCal too. Any help or insight would be great!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2023, 06:34 AM

296 posts, read 266,128 times
First thing that came to mind was Long Beach. What is your anticipated budget for a rental or purchase? That will help people in their response.

Old 11-28-2023, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danica32 View Post
First thing that came to mind was Long Beach. What is your anticipated budget for a rental or purchase? That will help people in their response.
Ooof, Long Beach sounds expensive

Realistic anticipated budget:
$2000-$3000/month in rent
$250k - $325k for purchase (this could probably go up, but to be safe)

I should add, I am good with smaller living spaces like 750-1200 sqft. I don't own much stuff.

Also, I can't do the roommate thing LOL. I haven't done it in a while, and if I can help it, won't go back to it.

Old 11-28-2023, 07:02 AM

296 posts, read 266,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Guy View Post
Ooof, Long Beach sounds expensive

Realistic anticipated budget:
$2000-$3000/month in rent
$250k - $325k for purchase (this could probably go up, but to be safe)

I should add, I am good with smaller living spaces like 750-1200 sqft. I don't own much stuff.

Also, I can't do the roommate thing LOL. I haven't done it in a while, and if I can help it, won't go back to it.
Any desirable or semi desirable area is expensive. I don’t think I’ve seen anything other than a manufactured home for your budget, meaning your purchase budget.

Renting you may have better luck. I’ll let others chime in. I lived in Long Beach for a while but primarily Orange County so the members more familiar with the LA locations may be more help (although Long Beach is in Los Angeles county).

Old 11-28-2023, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danica32 View Post
Any desirable or semi desirable area is expensive. I don’t think I’ve seen anything other than a manufactured home for your budget, meaning your purchase budget.

Renting you may have better luck. I’ll let others chime in. I lived in Long Beach for a while but primarily Orange County so the members more familiar with the LA locations may be more help (although Long Beach is in Los Angeles county).
Yes you are right. Where I live currently is a desirable area to live (in the southeast anyway) and the rent/purchase prices have gotten obnoxious over the past few years here. I am very fortunate to have bought when I did.

Poking around on Zillow, 1,150 sqft on average in LB is about $650-$700k for an actual house. The smaller condos are about $350k. I could be ok with a condo, but I would like to have one that has it's own garage below it, haha.

I understand that areas like that are expensive, but if it fits what I am looking for that was mentioned in my original post, I would be willing to make some sacrifices. I'd even be fine with right outside of the area, as long as crime isn't tooooo crazy.

Old 11-28-2023, 07:28 AM

26,747 posts, read 26,834,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Guy View Post
Poking around on Zillow, 1,150 sqft on average in LB is about $650-$700k for an actual house. The smaller condos are about $350k. I could be ok with a condo, but...
Condos in Long Beach for under $400k? I haven't seen any for that price in 3-4 years. Watch the safety in a lower priced area.

Old 11-28-2023, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Condos in Long Beach for under $400k? I haven't seen any for that price in 3-4 years. Watch the safety in a lower priced area.
There are a some that I found. However, they are around the 650 sqft range of size. I don't really want to go smaller than 750 sqft. So it would take some leg work to find something that size under $400k.

Old 11-28-2023, 07:47 AM

4,323 posts, read 6,288,171 times
Not sure what you do for a living, but it is very difficult to start out in CA on a pedestrian salary. Perhaps you could get some form of pay bump to live out west, but you'd really need an order of magnitude increase to really afford it comfortably (where you're not living paycheck to paycheck). Are you marketable in the tech field? Many jobs there pay double what you're making (or more), even for business-related positions.

Old 11-28-2023, 07:48 AM

612 posts, read 353,527 times
You can't purchase anywhere in California at that price, but you should be able to rent a one bedroom at those levels.

I second long Beach. Maybe silver lake and highland Park as well too. I like Sherman oaks as well.

LA tends to not be that young for due to the cost.

Old 11-28-2023, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadwarrior101 View Post
Not sure what you do for a living, but it is very difficult to start out in CA on a pedestrian salary. Perhaps you could get some form of pay bump to live out west, but you'd really need an order of magnitude increase to really afford it comfortably (where you're not living paycheck to paycheck). Are you marketable in the tech field? Many jobs there pay double what you're making (or more), even for business-related positions.
A pedestrian salary??? What does that mean? Ew!!! LOL.

But yes, I understand what you mean. The only thing I have going for me is that I don't have a family, so I could probably afford it without living paycheck to paycheck if I am smart about it and staying a little frugal. I don't have any debt besides my current mortgage. I work in the mechanical industry (think engineering, industrial design, piping design, oil/gas/chemical/HVAC).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thekdog View Post
You can't purchase anywhere in California at that price, but you should be able to rent a one bedroom at those levels.

I second long Beach. Maybe silver lake and highland Park as well too. I like Sherman oaks as well.

LA tends to not be that young for due to the cost.
Sounds like LB may be worth me visiting for sure. I think I will plan a trip soon. I would hope to buy something within a year or two of living there if I actually made the move. I am not looking to live in the super wealthy areas, just not super crime infested. And it can be on the outskirts of the area too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles