Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2022, 01:37 PM

1,882 posts, read 3,108,480 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
You make these statements as if readers should simply believe your anonymous posts … no verifiable proofs …. Nothing but ‘skyway31’ says so.

“It’s been understood …” by whom?

Um, lol.
It is understood by people paying attention. https://ukhsa.blog.gov.uk/2020/08/12...vid-19-deaths/

https://doh.wa.gov/sites/default/fil...Categories.pdf

Old 03-19-2022, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Actually, “ lies, distortions, omissions and peddling of junk science ” pretty much describes the billions of social media posts made by anonymous ignoramuses for the past two years who know exactly zip about science, medicine, and epidemiology.
Indeed, that has been the accusation employed for any/all skepticism. And, it's been highly effective at silencing or dismissing the skepticism. Just less so now than earlier.

Old 03-19-2022, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
Omicron seems just as damaging if it gets deep into the body, it simply isn't as good as getting that far.

Furthermore, hospitals did release data about with the virus vs. admitted for the virus during the most recent surge. There is no conspiracy. In the hospital for a serious condition usually equals vulnerable (sometimes temporarily) and if COVID is present, maybe the latter is the killer. It probably will be if the other condition doesn't improve and doesn't kill first. Any competent medical professional already knows that, and when a patient dies in the hospital, it's very likely that the hospital knows the precise cause of death.

This is about as productive as arguing about how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.

Deaths don't even matter that much re Omicron, because it makes many, many people sick enough to stay home and disrupt society that way and burns out teachers and healthcare employees to where ongoing waves will result in many unfilled positions and subsequent operational problems. Vaccine mandates are already established as legal and masks can be required for workers by employers or per OSHA and neither requires a high death rate for justification.

But if the game is to argue not enough people are dying of COVID in Los Angeles to justify anything, I think it was a few hundred daily briefly this winter, which is plenty, even if some died before the virus could finish them or were nearly dead anyway, and it's looking very likely that another wave is coming this spring.

Please stop.
It wasn't sickness that kept those folks home. It was asinine quarantine rules.

Please stop...what? Questioning the logic or appropriateness of various measures and rules? No thanks. I'll continue right along, for as long as people like you want to impose disciplinary measures on people like me.

Old 03-19-2022, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Local news reported an increase of 500 cases over yesterday. Looks like there won't even be a real break before LA has obvious problems. This is St. Patrick's Day, and people will celebrate and make it the biggest virus-spreading day in months. It might as well be Groundhog Day.

"Fingers crossed" seems to be the local approach
https://laist.com/news/health/gradua...ls-coronavirus
What a bad decade so far.
The mistake- or is it a mistake?- you make is in equating cases with problems. It's a trick employed by revolutionaries throughout the pandemic. Indeed, it has been VERY effective. Trigger warning: your game is ending. Stick to reading Eric Fiegl-Ding on twitter

Old 03-19-2022, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Deaths always lag. They'll probably head toward 100 daily later this spring unless people wake up. (LA, the city of disconnection.) You okay with this? There should be outrage.
Why are you so overwhelmingly determined to undermine the efficacy of vaccines? The data doesn't support your charade: relatively healthy, vaccinated people are not suffering severe outcomes from Covid infections.

Old 03-19-2022, 02:18 PM

26,717 posts, read 26,776,017 times
The first link is from nearly two years ago, and the second is related to counting deaths in Washington state.

Old 03-19-2022, 02:19 PM

6,616 posts, read 4,875,202 times
There is no "charade" [insult goes here]. A significant chunk of the population isn't "relatively healthy," and it's not just people who are retired or on disability. That's without getting into a non-trivial risk of healthy, vaccinated people developing long-Covid, which if widespread would be very bad for society. That's also without questioning whether vaccination withstands high viral loads, which is what a no-restrictions environment can lead to.

Also, many, many people were sick two months ago. Quarantine rules that weren't particularly enforced isn't why they were at home. A humongous outbreak of the actual common cold would've caused disruption.

Equating precautionary measures with "disciplinary" says so much about bad attitude.

Old 03-22-2022, 06:57 PM

26,717 posts, read 26,776,017 times
Los Angeles County isn’t seeing as high of a percentage of BA.2 cases as places like New York and Chicago, but the L.A. County Department of Public Health is saying nationwide trends suggest that Angelenos “should be prepared to mitigate the risk of increased transmission associated with this more infectious subvariant.”

“The increasing presence of the highly transmissible BA.2 subvariant in many regions of this country reminds us that we need to remain vigilant and prepared for the possibility of more cases in the near future,” L.A. County Public Health Director Barbara Ferrer said in a statement Monday (3/21).

https://www.latimes.com/california/s...ron-ba-2-surge

Old 03-23-2022, 07:07 PM

13,583 posts, read 15,649,867 times
I wish Ferrer would take a cue from Fauci and go away. I did what I was asked -- I wore a mask, I stayed hunkered down most of the time, etc. And in the meantime, as we saw from one of those flight tracker websites, people continued to arrive at LAX from all over the world. As soon as a new variant was discovered, less than 2 weeks later it was all over L.A.

I'm not playing this game anymore. Two years is enough. This virus from that lab on the other side of the planet has mutated into the flu, and Ferrer needs to go back to her crypt or wherever she was before all this.

Done and done.

Old 03-24-2022, 12:32 AM

6,616 posts, read 4,875,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
I wish Ferrer would take a cue from Fauci and go away. I did what I was asked -- I wore a mask, I stayed hunkered down most of the time, etc. And in the meantime, as we saw from one of those flight tracker websites, people continued to arrive at LAX from all over the world. As soon as a new variant was discovered, less than 2 weeks later it was all over L.A.

I'm not playing this game anymore. Two years is enough. This virus from that lab on the other side of the planet has mutated into the flu, and Ferrer needs to go back to her crypt or wherever she was before all this.

Done and done.
Please come back to reality.

1) The flu isn't mild (although some people have mild cases).
2) Omicron is worse than the flu and much more widespread and contagious.
3) Los Angeles is one of the worst places in the USA to be re COVID risk, for anyone living a typical city lifestyle.

You can move. Or you should protect yourself - it's not a big deal to wear a mask and avoid hours-long indoor social events. Common sense was always to protect the self and loved ones, no matter what the messaging was. Otherwise, it's just a matter of when you'll get infected, and get infected enough, eventually lasting damage will occur and there are few things in life worse than ongoing lousy health.

Also, Ferrer has no control over travel and the public wouldn't listen to her anyway. One negative side effect of the shift to remote work is many more people now have the free time to travel.

At some point, not this year but maybe next, there will be better vaccines and effective treatments that are available to most people (with the plus of stopping most household transmission) and then possibly so-called restrictions genuinely won't be beneficial to lower-risk people.

Do the right thing, and have some faith.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles