Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-25-2022, 06:23 PM

26,735 posts, read 26,828,098 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
at this point, it doesn't matter, because each successive variant is less potent than the last.
Did you recently state that you were a scientist? If so, then you know that this is absolutely untrue.

Old 03-25-2022, 06:57 PM

4,323 posts, read 6,286,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Did you recently state that you were a scientist? If so, then you know that this is absolutely untrue.
Everyone seems to be a scientist when it comes to COVID, even high school dropouts.

Old 03-26-2022, 08:24 PM

13,583 posts, read 15,667,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
Again, off the rails with a self-serving conclusion. Delta was more potent than Alpha, BA.2 is probably a little potent than BA.1 (though it might take months to know), and there's no hard evidence that not-so-lethal viruses evolve to be minimally lethal, let alone in months. It's only viruses that tend to kill hosts fast that sabotage themselves. How are you much better now than the people who were reckless at the start?
First Google hit:

"Because the goal of a virus is to survive, replicate, and spread, it tends to evolve toward being more infectious and less deadly."

https://news.northeastern.edu/2021/1...rus-evolution/

And actual medical doctors, not Barb Ferrer, have stated that repeatedly.

Old 03-26-2022, 10:15 PM

6,616 posts, read 4,884,211 times
It makes me mad that I have to spend time fighting toxic nonsense.

That's probably the same link presented by a jerk in another thread months ago. I hammered away until he eventually backed off it as proof/justification.

Some virologists say things like that. "Less deadly," not "non-deadly." Not non-dangerous, with post-viral complications a bigger risk to maybe everyone. Not quickly "less deadly" - they probably mean decades or longer for major reduction in deadliness. Not each variant less deadly than its predecessor; multiple people here have attacked you for that claim.

How about saying the truth? "I enjoy life more without restrictions. Therefore, I'd rather gamble my health and that of others and hope the odds are in my favor."

Old 03-26-2022, 10:21 PM

50,316 posts, read 47,069,940 times
LA is the last bastion of covid mania. Well, maybe San Fran too. It's like the hobby of toy rockets in these two areas. Covidians. It reminds me of cutters. Not good for you but they do it anyway. It's resulted in a cult like following.

Old 03-27-2022, 01:20 AM

13,583 posts, read 15,667,720 times
Quote:
It makes me mad that I have to spend time fighting toxic nonsense.

That's probably the same link presented by a jerk in another thread months ago. I hammered away until he eventually backed off it as proof/justification.

Some virologists say things like that. "Less deadly," not "non-deadly." Not non-dangerous, with post-viral complications a bigger risk to maybe everyone. Not quickly "less deadly" - they probably mean decades or longer for major reduction in deadliness. Not each variant less deadly than its predecessor; multiple people here have attacked you for that claim.

How about saying the truth? "I enjoy life more without restrictions. Therefore, I'd rather gamble my health and that of others and hope the odds are in my favor."
He probably backed off because he got bored arguing. I can relate to that -- I have no patience for shifting goalposts, strawman arguments, and personal attacks.

Old 03-27-2022, 07:18 AM

Quote:
As stated in that article, "A lot of questions remain about omicron, specifically, and whether or not it is a more infectious but less severe strain than its predecessors. Scientists are working on finding answers."

Old 03-27-2022, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadwarrior101 View Post
Everyone seems to be a scientist when it comes to COVID
It sure looks like it.

Debunking the idea viruses always evolve to become less virulent:
https://abcnews.go.com/Health/debunk...ry?id=82052581

Old 03-27-2022, 07:34 AM

845 posts, read 508,689 times
Quote:
Please come back to reality.

1) The flu isn't mild (although some people have mild cases).
2) Omicron is worse than the flu and much more widespread and contagious.
3) Los Angeles is one of the worst places in the USA to be re COVID risk, for anyone living a typical city lifestyle.

You can move. Or you should protect yourself - it's not a big deal to wear a mask and avoid hours-long indoor social events. Common sense was always to protect the self and loved ones, no matter what the messaging was. Otherwise, it's just a matter of when you'll get infected, and get infected enough, eventually lasting damage will occur and there are few things in life worse than ongoing lousy health.

Also, Ferrer has no control over travel and the public wouldn't listen to her anyway. One negative side effect of the shift to remote work is many more people now have the free time to travel.

At some point, not this year but maybe next, there will be better vaccines and effective treatments that are available to most people (with the plus of stopping most household transmission) and then possibly so-called restrictions genuinely won't be beneficial to lower-risk people.

Do the right thing, and have some faith.
My dad, with only one dose of vax, COPD, congestive heart failure, and diabetes shook off Omicron. My wife vaxed and boosted wife got it. It was nothing. My unvaxed 4.5 yo daughter got it. It was a mild head cold.

Covid is over. Done.

Old 03-27-2022, 07:42 AM

1,400 posts, read 766,854 times
Dear OP,

You said you wanted input based on "facts" and "expertise". All I can think is you must be very young. A lot of things that are presented to us as facts are not related to truth and frankly, the word "expert" has become a meaningless word for the most part. It's nauseating. After you have been on the planet for a while, you will see this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles