Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2019, 10:21 AM

5,267 posts, read 4,235,240 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
"While some might say many homeless individuals prefer the freedom of their life — the sidewalk their front porch, open to conversations, handout and hustles — the truth is no one wants to live on the street. But not everyone wants to take the steps to get into housing.

The process is slow, frustrating and not always a sure thing. Suspicious of agencies, wary of paperwork, unwilling to change their routines, some of the residents of Broadway Place and 39th Street stayed put. (Most impressive, though, were the efforts of outreach workers who helped the homeless navigate the bureaucracies designed to help them.)"

After 18 months reporting on the homeless crisis, this is what I learned:
https://www.latimes.com/local/la-str...ned-story.html
She obviously likes her life ruling the tent people on Broadway. There's even a pic of her captioned "big momma enjoying herself". If Ca gives her free housing in the next segment I give it a month and she'll be back in the tents. She left her frickin baby for that life. As long as workers bring her clothes tents food ( which it said they are) she isn't moving.

That quote about people don't really like living on the streets is just one persons opinion
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2019, 11:00 AM

26,959 posts, read 27,229,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finper View Post
That quote about people don't really like living on the streets is just one persons opinion
Did you even read the article? He interviewed homeless people for a year and a half.

Myth: Homeless people prefer living on the streets

It sounds crazy, but we hear this all the time from people who don’t know any better. The truth is this:

https://everyoneinla.org/three-myths-homelessness-la/

Myth: Homelessness is a choice.

Dispelling myths about California’s homeless:
https://www.politifact.com/californi...nias-homeless/

Myths, like homeless problem, not going away
https://www.sfchronicle.com/bayarea/...ay-7238304.php

Old 08-17-2019, 12:25 PM

21,904 posts, read 16,642,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finper View Post
She obviously likes her life ruling the tent people on Broadway. There's even a pic of her captioned "big momma enjoying herself". If Ca gives her free housing in the next segment I give it a month and she'll be back in the tents. She left her frickin baby for that life. As long as workers bring her clothes tents food ( which it said they are) she isn't moving.

Finper ... if it’s such an appealing lifestyle, why don’t more people do it? Why not a million in LA?

Why not you?

Quote:
New Report Predicts Aging Homeless Population Will Nearly Triple by 2030
Experts Discuss Solutions to Offset Instability and Costs

The population of individuals who are homeless and elderly is expected to nearly triple over the next decade, according to a new study released by researchers at the University of Pennsylvania, University of California Los Angeles, New York University, and Boston University.

Experts say the projected upturn of the aging homeless population—concentrated among those born between 1955* – 1966—will also lead to a surge of cost increases associated with health care and shelter needs.

The multi-site study includes Boston, New York City, and Los Angeles County, but is likely indicative of growth that is expected to take place across the country, according to homelessness expert Dennis Culhane, PhD, The Dana and Andrew Stone Professor of Social Policy at the University of Pennsylvania School of Social Policy & Practice (SP2).
https://www.sp2.upenn.edu/new-report...riple-by-2030/
Just because Finper can’t be bothered to educate herself to the reasons people end up homeless - or is incapable of grasping the plethora of educational information on the topic that has been flooded into this thread over the past couple years - doesn’t equate to “homeless people prefer living in squalor on the streets rather than have a little safe, secure room of their own ... let alone a home.

Old 08-17-2019, 01:33 PM

639 posts, read 1,080,514 times
It looks like one of Tulemutt's friends was getting a little rowdy a few days ago:

https://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/20...home-released/

But at least the judge was sympathetic and knew that incarcerating this poor victim of society wouldn't serve any purpose. It doesn't matter that he wanted to kill someone the day before, he would never get the help he needs in prison. And of course, it's just a coincidence he was homeless; it's a myth to think they're more likely to do these things.

Old 08-17-2019, 03:03 PM

5,267 posts, read 4,235,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genghis View Post
It looks like one of Tulemutt's friends was getting a little rowdy a few days ago:

But at least the judge was sympathetic and knew that incarcerating this poor victim of society wouldn't serve any purpose. It doesn't matter that he wanted to kill someone the day before, he would never get the help he needs in prison. And of course, it's just a coincidence he was homeless; it's a myth to think they're more likely to do these things.
Ever since Kathryn Steinle nothing surprises me about San Francisco judicial system

Old 08-18-2019, 09:32 AM

Quote:

So, couple of observations / questions for you here Genghis:

1. Why do you frame this mentally ill criminal as “one of Tulemutt’s friends”? Just trolling? What’s the connection to anything I have ever posted about my work / association with homelessness that would call for your personal reference?

2. Why are you posting this San Francisco event in the LA Homeless thread ... without any sequitural connection to commentary ongoing in this thread? Is there a particular point you’d like to connect? Or just engaging in facetious trolling here?

3. Setting LA aside, for the purpose of engaging the underlying issues of homelessness, in what way does this crime specify a homelessness nexus? Are you suggesting that the homeless in general are to be feared because something about them at root causes them to commit violent crime at a greater rate of incidence than the general population? If that is what you are trying to promote, can you support your theory with data? Because I haven’t ever been able to find any link. In fact, just the opposite. One quick example for your consideration, from Seattle University School of Law’s study / report on homelessness:
Quote:
Aren’t a lot of homeless people criminals?
● A person who is homeless is no more likely to be a criminal than a housed person, with one legal exception: camping ordinances. People who are homeless break that law by being homeless.
● Criminal records for homeless single adults are overwhelmingly due to misdemeanor offenses related to living outdoors, such as trespass.
A person who is homeless is less likely to perpetrate a violent crime than a housed person and is more likely to be the victim of a violent crime, especially if they are a homeless woman, teen, or child.
● Remaining on the streets also puts homeless people at risk of being victims of violence, including murder, assault, rape, and theft.
● Homeless people are often the victims of hate crimes.
They are also 25 times more likely to be the victims of violent crimes. About half
(49%) have reported being victims of violence compared with only 2% of the general
I can, as you know, link more ... but in the past you have expressed dislike for reading links to studies and reports (unless you think they support your “intuitive” beliefs).

The take away from this crime you referenced is that it was a horrible one. My sympathies to the victim. But horrible assaults do occur everyday all day long in California, the nation and the world. Always has been thus, sadly, no? The crime was an act of mental illness at large and should have been treated as such. Trying to tie it to homelessness does nothing more than vilify a demographic that commits violent crime at lower rates than the general population. That, sir, is fearmongering and myth building. The result is unearned hate directed at persons already hugely burdened. The result of that is, according to psychologists and sociologists and criminologists who work in the field, more violent crime randomly perpetrated against homeless persons by non-homeless.

Quote:
California saw the most crimes against people experiencing homelessness in 2016 and 2017. In particular, a series of violent crimes in San Diego were committed by serial perpetrator John D. Guerrero, who was arrested for the murder and attempted murder of several homeless individuals. In one instance, a 23 year-old man, Dionicio Derek Vahidy, was doused in accelerant and lit on fire by Guerrero. This example highlights the randomized nature of the hatred homeless individuals experience.

Federal and local legislation could help to prevent bias-motivated violence against people experiencing homelessness, adding housing status as a protected class under hate crimes statutes or vulnerable victims sentencing guidelines. However, as evident from the crimes outlined in Vulnerable to Hate, a cultural shift is needed to change how US society treats and values our homeless population, in order to prevent hate crimes and to build healthy and compassionate communities.
https://nationalhomeless.org/categor...-the-homeless/

Have a nice day. Lots of others aren’t in a position to. Don’t make it worse for them as you enjoy your walks along the shores of Lake Michigan.

Old 08-18-2019, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
So, couple of observations / questions for you here Genghis:

1. Why do you frame this mentally ill criminal as “one of Tulemutt’s friends”? Just trolling? What’s the connection to anything I have ever posted about my work / association with homelessness that would call for your personal reference?
I was being facetious here. To be more literal, he's the type of person you have a lot of sympathy for.

Quote:
2. Why are you posting this San Francisco event in the LA Homeless thread ... without any sequitural connection to commentary ongoing in this thread? Is there a particular point you’d like to connect? Or just engaging in facetious trolling here?
The problems facing SF and LA with regards to the homeless issue are quite similar. Since there is an active homeless thread in the LA forum, but not the SF one (as far as I know), I decided to mention it here.

Quote:
3. Setting LA aside, for the purpose of engaging the underlying issues of homelessness, in what way does this crime specify a homelessness nexus? Are you suggesting that the homeless in general are to be feared because something about them at root causes them to commit violent crime at a greater rate of incidence than the general population? If that is what you are trying to promote, can you support your theory with data? Because I haven’t ever been able to find any link. In fact, just the opposite. One quick example for your consideration, from Seattle University School of Law’s study / report on homelessness:
I haven't gone through the data from the Seattle University School of Law’s study / report on homelessness, and I have no idea if their conclusions are what you are claiming. Based on past experience with your links, I suspect their studies do not support your claims. No, I'm not obligated to go through research data to confirm that you're misinterpreting research studies for the umpteenth time.

Quote:
I can, as you know, link more ... but in the past you have expressed dislike for reading links to studies and reports (unless you think they support your “intuitive” beliefs).
Only because you've twisted and the manipulated the facts in the past, using these studies and reports as justification.

Quote:
The take away from this crime you referenced is that it was a horrible one. My sympathies to the victim. But horrible assaults do occur everyday all day long in California, the nation and the world. Always has been thus, sadly, no? The crime was an act of mental illness at large and should have been treated as such. Trying to tie it to homelessness does nothing more than vilify a demographic that commits violent crime at lower rates than the general population. That, sir, is fearmongering and myth building. The result is unearned hate directed at persons already hugely burdened. The result of that is, according to psychologists and sociologists and criminologists who work in the field, more violent crime randomly perpetrated against homeless persons by non-homeless.
It's possible more violent crime is perpetrated against homeless persons by non-homeless than vice versa. But this would be because there are so many more non-homeless than homeless. If you really think that the average homeless person is less likely to perpetrate a violent crime overall than the average non-homeless person, you are seriously delusional. Even the mere fact that homeless people are heavily adult males makes this suspicious. Not to mention the prevalence of mental illness, addiction, and so on.

Quote:
Have a nice day. Lots of others aren’t in a position to. Don’t make it worse for them as you enjoy your walks along the shores of Lake Michigan.
The Chicago Air and Water Show is this weekend. They're going to start pretty soon after a rain delay. They didn't have to move away any homeless encampments or clear out any hypodermic needles to make it happen. Lots of kids will be there. The only feces you have to worry about stepping on comes from the Canada geese.

Old 08-18-2019, 12:37 PM

Quote:
I was being facetious here. To be more literal, he's the type of person you have a lot of sympathy for.

The problems facing SF and LA with regards to the homeless issue are quite similar. Since there is an active homeless thread in the LA forum, but not the SF one (as far as I know), I decided to mention it here.

I haven't gone through the data from the Seattle University School of Law’s study / report on homelessness, and I have no idea if their conclusions are what you are claiming. Based on past experience with your links, I suspect their studies do not support your claims. No, I'm not obligated to go through research data to confirm that you're misinterpreting research studies for the umpteenth time.

Only because you've twisted and the manipulated the facts in the past, using these studies and reports as justification.

It's possible more violent crime is perpetrated against homeless persons by non-homeless than vice versa. But this would be because there are so many more non-homeless than homeless. If you really think that the average homeless person is less likely to perpetrate a violent crime overall than the average non-homeless person, you are seriously delusional. Even the mere fact that homeless people are heavily adult males makes this suspicious. Not to mention the prevalence of mental illness, addiction, and so on.

The Chicago Air and Water Show is this weekend. They're going to start pretty soon after a rain delay. They didn't have to move away any homeless encampments or clear out any hypodermic needles to make it happen. Lots of kids will be there. The only feces you have to worry about stepping on comes from the Canada geese.
As always with you Genghis, not a shred of evidence to back up anything you ‘intuitively’ claim. Nothing. Zip.

I have not expressed sympathy for homeless criminals ... or really even crazies. I discuss their conditions factually. I point out that their lives are brutal struggles, sometimes certainly as a consequence of their poor choices and / or weaknesses. But that vilifying myths just make things worse for all concerned. You are feeding that with your fictions and reinforcements of myths.

There are several threads in the SF Forum dealing with homelessness there ... including one specifically addressing the event you cited - which is why I asked.

You attack my “past links” without providing any rebuttal data, reporting, research beyond your opinions, again and again and again. If you’ve got something to demonstrate the fallacies of what professionally collected information I provide - then post it. You never have. Oh except when you tried to make claims based on the excellent Guardian study that I subsequently demonstrated did NOT support what you claimed it did. Just the opposite, in fact.

Prove I “manipulate and twist the facts”. Saying so as an anonymous poster doesn’t make it so. I provide sourcing. You provide vacuous protest without verifications. Worthless.

The claims made about the greater danger of violence against homeless than vice-versa are based on per capita analysis by criminologists, sociologists, and psychologists in the field. I have quoted them and sourced the quotes many times. Now it’s my turn to say: “I'm not obligated to go back and repost over and over and over and over the same research data that confirms you're peeing in the wind for the umpteenth time.” Go back and search and prove me wrong. Calling the claim “suspicious” without evidence is simply bullshirt, Genghis.

When legitimately expert data is sourced, the onus is on anyone denying the data and expertise behind it to show how. You never do.

Old 08-18-2019, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
As always with you Genghis, not a shred of evidence to back up anything you ‘intuitively’ claim. Nothing. Zip.
I only made one statement that might be considered intuitive: "If you really think that the average homeless person is less likely to perpetrate a violent crime overall than the average non-homeless person, you are seriously delusional." I believe that statement because the rate of mental illness and drug addiction is so high amongst them, and because they are frequently seen yelling and screaming at people. In other words I believe this due to observation (mine and others), not intuiton. And please don't drag out the tired "research" claiming that in fact they use less drugs and have less mental illness than the general population.

Quote:
I have not expressed sympathy for homeless criminals ... or really even crazies.
You work with them and you give them housing. Sounds sympathetic to me. Recall drug offenses are in fact crimes even if you wish they weren't. And I'm sure many of them have been diagnosed with various mental illnesses.

Quote:
There are several threads in the SF Forum dealing with homelessness there ... including one specifically addressing the event you cited - which is why I asked.
I looked again and found no thread specifically addressing this event. More delusionalness it would seem. I did not want to resurrect an old thread there when this one was available on the LA forum.

Quote:
You attack my “past links” without providing any rebuttal data, reporting, research beyond your opinions, again and again and again. If you’ve got something to demonstrate the fallacies of what professionally collected information I provide - then post it. You never have. Oh except when you tried to make claims based on the excellent Guardian study that I subsequently demonstrated did NOT support what you claimed it did. Just the opposite, in fact.

Prove I “manipulate and twist the facts”. Saying so as an anonymous poster doesn’t make it so. I provide sourcing. You provide vacuous protest without verifications. Worthless.
Gawd there are so many examples. For example when the HUD definition of homeless turned out to include people staying with family members. Another one is when you found all sorts of excuses to make it look like the people in the Guardian article being put on buses were locals and not being sent back to their places of origin. Even when you were trying to promote LSD use you gave false information about Feynman's history to make LSD seem less harmful.

Quote:
The claims made about the greater danger of violence against homeless than vice-versa are based on per capita analysis by criminologists, sociologists, and psychologists in the field. I have quoted them and sourced the quotes many times. Now it’s my turn to say: “I'm not obligated to go back and repost over and over and over and over the same research data that confirms you're peeing in the wind for the umpteenth time.” Go back and search and prove me wrong. Calling the claim “suspicious” without evidence is simply bullshirt, Genghis.

When legitimately expert data is sourced, the onus is on anyone denying the data and expertise behind it to show how. You never do.
It's true you are under no obligation to do anything. I'm not asking that you do. But many people witness the behavior of homeless people over a long period, and it's legitimate to use such observations over a bunch of politically-motivated highly questionable studies whose accuracy I'm in no position to verify. The fact that these politically-motivated studies are repeated just sounds like confirmation bias to me. If a researcher tried to publish a study showing that homeless people were more likely to be from out of town than the earlier studies claim, he/she would have a lot of trouble publishing it. You know, peer review.

Old 08-18-2019, 02:41 PM

42,842 posts, read 26,660,739 times
Quote:

Quit trolling, it's really childish.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles