Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-25-2019, 04:26 PM

4,481 posts, read 2,309,750 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
ONLY $352,000 per unit , I guess we should be ecstatic ...
Yikes, I suppose they could always pan handle for the down payment.

Quote:
If I was homeless I would panhandle until I could buy a beater car and live in that before I'd ever pay those prices.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2019, 04:50 PM

26,956 posts, read 27,222,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
ONLY $352,000 per unit , I guess we should be ecstatic ...
This alternative, below, would certainly be less expensive.

Motels as homeless shelters? More local governments are housing people in motel rooms:
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ls/1904375001/

Old 08-25-2019, 05:01 PM

1,059 posts, read 768,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Too simple and ... the only real solution. Too many don't want a solution, they want to look caring.
A simpler idea would be to follow the law.

Signed into law by President Roosevelt on August 14, 1935.

https://www.ssa.gov › history › 35act

It was not meant to pad the retirement of financially well people. It was to help the old, disabled, destitute, to try to keep them off the streets.

Enforce vagrancy & loitering laws as well.

Yeah, people don't want to lose that SS check but are all to willing to complain, even though it is their own abuse of the system that contributes to the homeless issue.

Old 08-25-2019, 05:12 PM

26,956 posts, read 27,222,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Too simple and ... the only real solution. Too many don't want a solution, they want to look caring.
Or more likely: too many don't want a solution; they just want to keep complaining about the problem.

Old 08-25-2019, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Or more likely: too many don't want a solution; they just want to keep complaining about the problem.
Nope. People want a solution that doesn't make them responsible for other people's bad decisions.

Old 08-25-2019, 09:25 PM

21,901 posts, read 16,637,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by max210 View Post
Nope. People want a solution that doesn't make them responsible for other people's bad decisions.
Mmm. “Bad decisions” like being born with a genetic time bomb that manifests as schizophrenia? Decisions like having a husband who becomes an alcoholic and wife and child beater? Deciding to be creamed in an automobile accident resulting in permanent injury? Or how about deciding to be born with limited intellect or drive to compete? How about those fools who went to the military and wussed out with PTSD after combat tours? Let’s not forget the seniors who decided to live on their SS in low cost housing that got demolished for upscale housing developments.

Boy, those people deserve to be rolling in sh*t on the streets, don’t they!

Old 08-26-2019, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Mmm. “Bad decisions” like being born with a genetic time bomb that manifests as schizophrenia? Decisions like having a husband who becomes an alcoholic and wife and child beater? Deciding to be creamed in an automobile accident resulting in permanent injury? Or how about deciding to be born with limited intellect or drive to compete? How about those fools who went to the military and wussed out with PTSD after combat tours? Let’s not forget the seniors who decided to live on their SS in low cost housing that got demolished for upscale housing developments.

Boy, those people deserve to be rolling in sh*t on the streets, don’t they!
I see a lot of excuses but nothing justifying why everyone else has to pay for this. These people could just pan handle, buy a car and live in it.

Old 08-26-2019, 10:07 AM

21,901 posts, read 16,637,289 times
Quote:
I see a lot of excuses but nothing justifying why everyone else has to pay for this. These people could just pan handle, buy a car and live in it.
You think schizophrenics can “just panhandle and live in a car” eh? Your lack of worldliness is desperately showing.

Old 08-26-2019, 10:35 AM

83 posts, read 157,842 times
'Rats Have Taken Over the City': Los Angeles Homeless Crisis Reaches Epidemic Levels

https://youtu.be/Kut1tYj6omY

Old 08-26-2019, 01:26 PM

42,840 posts, read 26,653,341 times
Quote:
If they can do that they probably already have. What we are talking about are people who have no options. And you don't have to pay a penny if you can convince all of the people who are impacted by the homeless that the best thing to do is just walk over them on their way to work. However, if you want to get these people off the streets someone will have to pay for it and for the life of me I can't think of any scheme that will accomplish that without taxpayer money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles