Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-16-2018, 10:14 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,622,516 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
Indeed. For instance, we had people claim that the homeless are not helping fester diseases, which has been demonstrated to be false.

Glad we're on the same page regarding misinformation -- have a great day.
The homeless “advocate” Fake News brigade
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2018, 10:59 AM

21,901 posts, read 16,637,289 times
Quote:
Indeed. For instance, we had people claim that the homeless are not helping fester diseases, which has been demonstrated to be false.

Glad we're on the same page regarding misinformation -- have a great day.
Link your proof they are?

We’ve been through this in depth, exitus. And I’ll gladly do it again.

Old 11-16-2018, 11:21 AM

872 posts, read 606,326 times
Homelessness promotion and marketing is more like it jm... it gets the results they want! $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Old 11-16-2018, 01:26 PM

13,587 posts, read 15,838,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Link your proof they are?

We’ve been through this in depth, exitus. And I’ll gladly do it again.

Your wish is my command:

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...ueling-n919856

Old 11-16-2018, 04:29 PM

26,957 posts, read 27,222,932 times
Quote:
I read your link. Watched the video clip. The commentator talks about homelessness as a moral crisis (as well as a policy crisis and a political crisis). Footage is shown of him walking with a man on Skid Row and asking him, "Do you get used to this...people sleeping on the streets?" The man answers, "Do I get used to it? Where else are they supposed to go?"

Watch the young couple later who lost their apartment but who are both working. They lived in their car. The woman discusses how difficult it is to get a night's sleep in the car with an 18 month old in the back seat.

Old 11-16-2018, 06:52 PM

13,587 posts, read 15,838,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
I read your link. Watched the video clip. The commentator talks about homelessness as a moral crisis (as well as a policy crisis and a political crisis). Footage is shown of him walking with a man on Skid Row and asking him, "Do you get used to this...people sleeping on the streets?" The man answers, "Do I get used to it? Where else are they supposed to go?"

Watch the young couple later who lost their apartment but who are both working. They lived in their car. The woman discusses how difficult it is to get a night's sleep in the car with an 18 month old in the back seat.
I did not watch the video, but I did read the article when it was first published. There are some people, perhaps 10% of people living on the streets who want to get off the streets and into programs that will help them find housing. The other 90% are perfectly happy being vagabonds. Speaking of which, I was at the West L.A. Smart & Final today and every time I drive past the local bum camp it looks like one big party zone.

I do truly feel sympathy for the 10% who want off the streets, but the other 90% disgust me and I do not appreciate the myriad of problems they cause, whether it's cultivating diseases, starting fires in the Sepulveda pass, threatening people with violence, engaging in violence, committing sex crimes such as displaying their genitals to children, etc.

Old 11-17-2018, 12:07 PM

Quote:
I do truly feel sympathy for the 10% who want off the streets, but the other 90% disgust me and I do not appreciate the myriad of problems they cause....
I doubt it's 90%, but it doesn't really matter at this point. Especially since there will be more temporarily homeless people as a result of the fires. Homelessness is a statewide problem.

Los Angeles Mayor Eric Garcetti and mayors of three of the state’s other largest cities called Friday for a statewide effort to remove obstacles to affordable housing and give cities more help in getting people off the streets.

The issue was the focus of a panel discussion in Sacramento that also included San Diego Mayor Kevin Faulconer, Oakland Mayor Libby Schaaf and Sacramento Mayor Darrell Steinberg.

Steinberg said the current, cumbersome system for getting funding and planning approval of shelters makes it unlikely there will be permanent shelters soon for the thousands of people left homeless by the recent Camp fire in Butte County.

California mayors call for more state leadership on homelessness crisis - Los Angeles Times

Old 11-18-2018, 03:29 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,622,516 times
Quote:
I doubt it's 90%, but it doesn't really matter at this point. Especially since there will be more temporarily homeless people as a result of the fires. Homelessness is a statewide problem.

Los Angeles Mayor Eric Garcetti and mayors of three of the state’s other largest cities called Friday for a statewide effort to remove obstacles to affordable housing and give cities more help in getting people off the streets.

The issue was the focus of a panel discussion in Sacramento that also included San Diego Mayor Kevin Faulconer, Oakland Mayor Libby Schaaf and Sacramento Mayor Darrell Steinberg.

Steinberg said the current, cumbersome system for getting funding and planning approval of shelters makes it unlikely there will be permanent shelters soon for the thousands of people left homeless by the recent Camp fire in Butte County.

California mayors call for more state leadership on homelessness crisis - Los Angeles Times
Just saw article you linked above ...I found this funny because Garcetti made homelessness a priority back in 2013 , yet here we are ..

“Schaaf and Garcetti said that there is momentum to tackle the homelessness problem and that they are hopeful because Gov.-elect Gavin Newsom has made housing and homelessness issues a priority.”

Old 11-18-2018, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Just saw article you linked above ...I found this funny because Garcetti made homelessness a priority back in 2013 , yet here we are ..
What's funny about it? Housing prices have skyrocketed here since Garcetti started his term in 2013, and those prices are a huge contributor to the escalating homeless problem. If homelessness were such a simple problem to solve, we wouldn't have this problem in so many high cost cities.

Old 11-18-2018, 03:06 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,236,468 times
Quote:

Of course it’s anorher moral puff piece and yet another opportunity to urge action. Political crisis? We have a Democratic super majorly in Sacramento. LA is headed by all Dems. What politics are we discussing here? Oh you mean those pesky homeowners who don’t want the homeless near them but demand and end to the problem, right? Oh yeah that “political crisis”.

Last edited by LuvSouthOC; 11-18-2018 at 03:36 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles