Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2018, 04:02 PM

26,959 posts, read 27,229,118 times

Advertisements

Lots of bureaucratic red tape trying to solve this problem, according to Steve Lopez (who ought to know):

"I'd like to take you back to January, when I was working on a column about the fact that skid row conditions have gotten worse and encampments have spread across the region.

I'd heard that four proposed supportive housing projects — two on the West L.A. VA campus, one near MacArthur Park and one in South Los Angeles — had been rejected, even though they would have housed nearly 300 homeless veterans. So I went to a City Hall meeting to see if the decision might be reversed."

After a week without food, skid row activist still hungry to make a statement about housing shortage
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2018, 04:13 PM

21,906 posts, read 16,642,660 times
Excellent, intense photos, Slacker ... kudos

Old 02-21-2018, 06:05 PM

3,117 posts, read 4,606,973 times
This article leaves some unanswered questions.

First, he's clearly been in an institution for over 2 years. So for him to be released, the doctors would have had to have signed off on figuring out the right cocktail of meds needed to keep him from being violent, yes? Or did they just run out of time?

Second, let's assume for a moment they found the right cocktail....is he being provided that medication for free?

Third, is he required to have regular consultations with the mental health staff to ensure that he's taking his medications, assuming he's getting them?

It's all well and good to make a sensationalist headline that says "dangerous homeless man back on the streets after being released from asylum", but no rational member of society is generally going to say that once you're found to have some sort of mental health problem, you have to be locked away forever regardless of treatment possibilities.

Old 02-21-2018, 06:26 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,237,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Lots of bureaucratic red tape trying to solve this problem, according to Steve Lopez (who ought to know):

"I'd like to take you back to January, when I was working on a column about the fact that skid row conditions have gotten worse and encampments have spread across the region.

I'd heard that four proposed supportive housing projects — two on the West L.A. VA campus, one near MacArthur Park and one in South Los Angeles — had been rejected, even though they would have housed nearly 300 homeless veterans. So I went to a City Hall meeting to see if the decision might be reversed."

After a week without food, skid row activist still hungry to make a statement about housing shortage
I am oh so moved. The cynical and fake religious communist left, pretending to believe in religion to convince the sheep, but not believing at all; nonetheless using religion as arguments to get the dumb masses to accept the **** they want.

From the article:
Kaleb Havens could have given up candy, pizza or tacos for the 46 days of Lent.

That would have been reasonable, right?

Instead the 30-year-old Catholic Worker activist gave up all food last week, on Ash Wednesday, and began a hunger strike.
Jesus rose from the dead on Easter.

Will city officials do the same?
Really, he did? That's a fact huh, and not fake news? This is a major U.S. newspaper!

As for "Activist Kaleb Havens", 30, is on hunger strike on skid row in downtown Los Angeles to protest conditions for the homeless. (Irfan Khan / Los Angeles Times)

And as for his fasting, who the hell cares?

660k per unit!

I made some headway with Bonin. A couple of minor bureaucratic hangups are resolvable, he said, but another matter could present a bigger snag. On the conversion of existing West L.A. VA buildings into permanent supportive housing, Bonin said, the cost per unit would be as much as $660,000, "which would be the most expensive … units we've seen."
Who would want to live by disgusting "former" homeless people?

Old 02-21-2018, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slackercruster View Post
They should do a survey. Someone told me homeless like living outdoors. I disagreed and said they are homeless because they are broke (for the most part. ) But, I don't know, I never talk to them. I am good at photographing people candid, but I am not good at talking to people.

[/url]
The homeless guy (or is it a transient, how would we be sure?) seems to have nice new Iphone he is using.

The African American lady strangely has money for hair dye.

Old 02-21-2018, 06:40 PM

13,587 posts, read 15,840,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finper View Post
Paula Perrette is very nice and was trying to help someone. Guess she learned the hard way she needs to keep her distance from the homeless.
That's how I've been living my life every day lately the picosecond I leave my street and venture down onto Wilshire Blvd. or any other riff-raff magnet.

Old 02-21-2018, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Amazing that this scumbag is back on the streets. Anybody really think he'll go to being an upstanding member of society.
He hardly spent any time away considering what he did to her.

---
- NCIS actress Pauley Perrette is fearing for her safety after the man who attacked and threatened to kill her is free and back in the neighborhood. And now Perrette's neighbors in Hollywood are sharing those concerns.Actress Pauley Perrette of NCIS fame is of course known for being dramatic. But, she wasn't acting during a long conversation today when she told me how her life was ''forever changed'' after an attack by a homeless man, and she is ''afraid to go out.''

We were talking because we learned her attacker, a transient named David Merck, has apparently been released from a state psychiatric institution , where he was sent after her November 2015 attack .

It got worldwide attention. Merck's release, as far as we know, has not been reported by anyone but us. She says '' I'm afraid the next word i hear about this guy is that he's killed a female.'' What's also alarming for residents in the area of Hollywood around Franklin and the 101 Freeway is that there's technically nothing authorities can really do to protect themselves from this man, until and unless he commits another crime.

Violent homeless man who attacked actress out on streets again - Story | KTTV
Wait, how do we know if this gentleman was homeless or a transient? The differences are vast, we are told. Pity the article doesn't delve into that issue.

Old 02-21-2018, 08:25 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,626,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
Wait, how do we know if this gentleman was homeless or a transient? The differences are vast, we are told. Pity the article doesn't delve into that issue.
Yes , did he utilize stolen shopping carts ? If so from what store or supermarket ?

Old 02-21-2018, 08:50 PM

42,842 posts, read 26,660,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
The homeless guy (or is it a transient, how would we be sure?) seems to have nice new Iphone he is using. The African American lady strangely has money for hair dye.
You can tell that's an Iphone how? And a bottle of peroxide isn't really an extravagance reserved for the wealthy.

Old 02-21-2018, 09:23 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,770,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
That's really grasping at straws, so I guess now you have given yourself moderator status and can decide who can post in a thread? Homeless people are pretty much the same no matter where they live, for you to claim otherwise is simply untrue.

Not grasping at straws at all.

Why are you so concerned about what is going in LA when you live in the Sacramento area? When was the last time you were even in LA?

It matters because unless you live here and see it you don't have a clue on how out of control it is. If someone who hadn't been in LA for the last few years came for a visit I they would be taken aback at what they would see.

Living here you see it how it has spread. It's all over the city. We have a Mayor who is more concerned with spending millions for people who are here illegally to stay here, than helping the homeless( funny I mostly see white and black people who I would bet were born in the US).I am still shocked and I am glad it still shocks me, I think many here have become jaded because seeing a homeless person is like seeing a palm tree nowadays.

Hmmm...what is wrong with that picture?

You're free to post wherever you want.

Maybe I should go post on the Chicago board about their out of control murder rate, I visited there in 2000, so that makes me very knowledgeable on their city and it's issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles