Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2022, 11:22 AM

42,842 posts, read 26,660,739 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by done working View Post
if they are staying with family or friends then they are NOT homeless.
Actually if you sofa surf and don't have a permanent address you are homeless.
Quote:
MUTT likes to tell everyone that overpopulation is a part of the problem and that many homeless had income so if you get a state or fed check thats income? many not most get checks from either the state or feds for ss, disability, food stamps, housing, etc.
Yes it is income, money received on a regular basis does not have to be from a job to be considered income and a fair number of homeless get VA pensions, SSI, SS, SSDI.
Quote:
then given the fact that the liberal aclu filed suit with calif over the rights of the homeless and mentally ill and we closed dozens of facilities that use to house them - thank you aclu
Actually this is what happened: "O'Connor v. Donaldson, 422 U.S. 563, was a landmark decision of the US Supreme Court in mental health law ruling that a state cannot constitutionally confine a non-dangerous individual who is capable of surviving safely in freedom by themselves or with the help of willing and responsible family members or friends"
Quote:
next most of the drug addicts and many of the so called homeless made bad choices in life - we did not put a gun to their head to smoke crack - we did not make them drop out of high school so they could sell crack or whatever - i want to know how many hamburger flippers or car washers think they can live and good life in LA without education! why make excuses for those who chose not to get educated? why feel sorry for those who thought they could drop out and sell crack or drink their way to a great life? i see no reason that we should use our tax dollars to provide apartments for those who made dumbass choices in life - no-one is promised that life will be easy - the only guarantee is we are free to make choices and free to make changes in ones life to get ahead - bad choices lead to bad things - not hard to figure out
yep, lots are undesirable people who do bad things, but you and I can't really fix that. All we can do is decide if we want them to camp on the streets, or if it's worth it to provide some kind of shelter for them.
Quote:
round them up put them in jail or facilities like we had - ship them back to other countries if they are here illegally - i really dont care as i firmly believe they had and f upped their opportunity in life - and its not my fault or responsibility to bail them out - do you think they would even be alive if they pulled this crap 100 years ago?
Your remedies are unconstitutional.

Last edited by 2sleepy; 02-25-2022 at 11:42 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2022, 12:07 PM

2,210 posts, read 1,819,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Actually this is what happened: "O'Connor v. Donaldson, 422 U.S. 563, was a landmark decision of the US Supreme Court in mental health law ruling that a state cannot constitutionally confine a non-dangerous individual who is capable of surviving safely in freedom by themselves or with the help of willing and responsible family members or friends"he streets, or if it's worth it to provide some kind of shelter for them.
Your remedies are unconstitutional.
That is what is being ignored in that decision. It does not apply to ..... dangerous individuals and those not living safely.

Old 02-25-2022, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer46 View Post
That is what is being ignored in that decision. It does not apply to ..... dangerous individuals and those not living safely.
The court has further defined dangerous, if you are curious do some research

Old 02-25-2022, 04:02 PM

2,210 posts, read 1,819,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
The court has further defined dangerous, if you are curious do some research
Oh, many are definitely dangerous. Not all by any means, but many. Nothing being done about it either.

Old 02-25-2022, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer46 View Post
Oh, many are definitely dangerous. Not all by any means, but many. Nothing being done about it either.
You didn't do your research on the courts definition of dangerous did you?

Old 02-25-2022, 04:14 PM

1,063 posts, read 769,722 times
Quote:
if they are staying with family or friends then they are NOT homeless.

MUTT likes to tell everyone that overpopulation is a part of the problem and that many homeless had income

so if you get a state or fed check thats income? many not most get checks from either the state or feds for ss, disability, food stamps, housing, etc.

then given the fact that the liberal aclu filed suit with calif over the rights of the homeless and mentally ill and we closed dozens of facilities that use to house them - thank you aclu

next most of the drug addicts and many of the so called homeless made bad choices in life - we did not put a gun to their head to smoke crack - we did not make them drop out of high school so they could sell crack or whatever - i want to know how many hamburger flippers or car washers think they can live and good life in LA without education!

why make excuses for those who chose not to get educated? why feel sorry for those who thought they could drop out and sell crack or drink their way to a great life?

i see no reason that we should use our tax dollars to provide apartments for those who made dumbass choices in life - no-one is promised that life will be easy - the only guarantee is we are free to make choices and free to make changes in ones life to get ahead - bad choices lead to bad things - not hard to figure out

round them up put them in jail or facilities like we had - ship them back to other countries if they are here illegally - i really dont care as i firmly believe they had and f upped their opportunity in life - and its not my fault or responsibility to bail them out -

do you think they would even be alive if they pulled this crap 100 years ago?

Wow. Don't look down. That's a pretty high horse you're on.

Old 02-25-2022, 05:49 PM

21,905 posts, read 16,642,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movedintime View Post
Wow. Don't look down. That's a pretty high horse you're on.
And not a bit acrophobic about being up there either … lol - Mutt

Old 02-25-2022, 07:05 PM

1,108 posts, read 540,297 times
i did my part for 64 years, paid my taxes voted for conservatives, helped my church and volunterred when i could but its apparent that you voters like the new California and the policies that allowed this attitude of acceptance to become the norm - you allow this by continuing to vote and reelect these politicians that want to spend your money on things like illegals lawyers, house the illegals, require PLA agreements and PW wages so suck up to the unions, allow the teacher union to run our schools and on and on- so i did my part and got the hell out

its a lost cause until you people get a grip on electing these same politicians that make the same promises to end poverty, tax the rich, use YOUR taxes for stupid things like mentioned above, defund police, elect DA's that wont support the laws

when are you going to blame them? when are you going to force them to keep their words?
Yes i am pissed off - yes i am tired of the crap i saw every damn day driving around our cities and yes i got tired of my tax money being spent on dumbass projects like the train to nowhere -

you cant fix stupid and the voters in the state get what they deserve but me like so many others are just to damn mad watching this crap year after year after year -the few years i have left wont be spent watching this once great state go to hell -

Old 02-25-2022, 07:39 PM

21,905 posts, read 16,642,660 times
Quote:
. i did my part for 64 years, paid my taxes voted for conservatives, helped my church and volunterred when i could but its apparent that you voters like the new California and the policies that allowed this attitude of acceptance to become the norm - you allow this by continuing to vote and reelect these politicians that want to spend your money on things like illegals lawyers, house the illegals, require PLA agreements and PW wages so suck up to the unions, allow the teacher union to run our schools and on and on- so i did my part and got the hell out

its a lost cause until you people get a grip on electing these same politicians that make the same promises to end poverty, tax the rich, use YOUR taxes for stupid things like mentioned above, defund police, elect DA's that wont support the laws

when are you going to blame them? when are you going to force them to keep their words?
Yes i am pissed off - yes i am tired of the crap i saw every damn day driving around our cities and yes i got tired of my tax money being spent on dumbass projects like the train to nowhere -

you cant fix stupid and the voters in the state get what they deserve but me like so many others are just to damn mad watching this crap year after year after year -the few years i have left wont be spent watching this once great state go to hell -
Huh. Well, I’m not ‘pizzed off’ … but I’m also not sure what your list of grievances has to do with homelessness in LA (you know, the thread topic?) as we just discussed.

That said, I am curious about one thing in particular you listed (in bold above) that you think politicians should/can do: How would politicians “end poverty?” I mean, it sorta connects to the topic alrighty … but, you know, it’s been an ongoing world problem since homo sapiens left cave dwelling 10,000 years ago. But you think some politics (any kind … you pick) can finally take that off mankind’s ‘To Do’ list?

Old 03-03-2022, 01:52 PM

Newsome releases new plan for dealing with mentally ill homeless:

Quote:
The new plan, called “Care Court,” would target people suffering from psychosis who have lost their ability to care for themselves. It would bring them before a judge, who could order them to begin a mandated treatment plan with options for psychiatric treatment, medication and housing. Counties would be required to provide the treatment ordered. https://www.eastbaytimes.com/2022/03..._content=alert
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles