Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2018, 02:23 PM

42,840 posts, read 26,653,341 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
While LuvSouthOC is thinking about the above, I'm going to chime in.

Decisions among rational people are about choosing from the mutually exclusive alternatives within the choice space.

And a famous economist once said, "The Antelope Valley is neither good nor bad save the alternatives make it look that way." OK, I said that. But I'm famous here on C-D. At least in my own mind.

When life elsewhere becomes unbearable, all of a sudden The Antelope Valley looks great. If, instead, there is plenty of free housing for the taking in, say, Santa Monica -- well, the Antelope Valley doesn't look great.

So the issue isn't merely housing in the Antelope Valley - it is a combination of making life easy in the Antelope Valley via free homeless housing, food, support services, transportation services, etc and actively making it suck elsewhere.
You never did answer, my question was "what percentage"...

But this response of yours; "making it suck somewhere else"? and "when life becomes unbearable" they will go to the Antelope Valley.. Good God do you think that the homeless in LA are living in some kind of utopia? What are you going to take from them to make it suck worse, to make it 'unbearable'? Require that if they sleep outside they can't cover themselves with a blanket?

They don't want your help, you are the one devising schemes to get them out of your way, it's not the other way around. They don't want to move to the craptastic antelope valley in order to get free food or anything else. And you already said your 'caveat' regarding housing was "many rules", so you tell me.. why in the world would any homeless person move to the Antelope Valley and be subjected to your "many rules? Sounds like you want to treat them like prison inmates. I know that if I were homeless I would certainly not be inspired to move to your camp of "many rules"

And you might want to brush up on the constitution because you can't treat people so poorly that they are afraid to stay where they are, and you can't force them to leave a place just because they are homeless, so why not talk about viable solutions instead of fantasizing about these cockamaney solutions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2018, 02:43 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,768,938 times
Quote:
While LuvSouthOC is thinking about the above, I'm going to chime in.

Decisions among rational people are about choosing from the mutually exclusive alternatives within the choice space.

And a famous economist once said, "The Antelope Valley is neither good nor bad save the alternatives make it look that way." OK, I said that. But I'm famous here on C-D. At least in my own mind.

When life elsewhere becomes unbearable, all of a sudden The Antelope Valley looks great. If, instead, there is plenty of free housing for the taking in, say, Santa Monica -- well, the Antelope Valley doesn't look great.

So the issue isn't merely housing in the Antelope Valley - it is a combination of making life easy in the Antelope Valley via free homeless housing, food, support services, transportation services, etc and actively making it suck elsewhere.

Gee I wonder if you lived in the Antelope Valley if you would feel this way?

And as 2Sleepy said, you might want to brush up on the Constitution, you're familiar with that document I hope?

Old 09-10-2018, 05:14 PM

26,957 posts, read 27,222,932 times
Good news: the money is there to treat the mentally ill. Bad news: there's little guidance as to how to spend those tax dollars.

California is sitting on hundreds of millions of dollars for mental health programs. Let's put it to use

Old 09-10-2018, 11:50 PM

11,761 posts, read 7,332,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Good news: the money is there to treat the mentally ill. Bad news: there's little guidance as to how to spend those tax dollars.

California is sitting on hundreds of millions of dollars for mental health programs. Let's put it to use
Have you ever seen a CA government branch, overseeing critical projects involving money, do a good job in allocating funds responsibly?

Old 09-11-2018, 11:01 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,622,516 times
The homeless industrial complex is hiring .

Homeless brother and sisters lol

Now Eric can brag about being a job creator .
—-

“Hundreds of jobs are available now, delivering help, hope, and healing to our homeless brothers and sisters. You can help change lives and be a part of the solution”

https://mobile.twitter.com/MayorOfLA...66269986402304

Last edited by jm1982; 09-11-2018 at 11:10 AM..

Old 09-11-2018, 11:42 AM

13,027 posts, read 13,969,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
You never did answer, my question was "what percentage"...
Of course I did - but to get extremely explicit, the answer is "it depends."

Quote:
Good God do you think that the homeless in LA are living in some kind of utopia?
Everything is comparative and relative.

Have you ever been to the really bad parts of Mogadishu? The slums of Kolkata or New Delhi? The homeless in LA live very well by comparison.

It is all about comparison.

Quote:
And you already said your 'caveat' regarding housing was "many rules"
I think that was someone else who talked about many rules.

We all know the rules are unenforceable on the homeless. The police are not likely to arrest them for rule violations. They wouldn't be evicted for pooping on the lawn next to the dogs or scattering syringes in the flower beds. They won't be held responsible for dumping trash over the balcony or pouring an 80 pound sack of Quickrete in a toilet. When you have little or nothing to lose, there are no practical limits on your behaviour.

Quote:
why in the world would any homeless person move to the Antelope Valley and be subjected to your "many rules?

For the same reason any denizen of the slums of Kolkata or New Delhi or Mogadishu would love to move to be homeless in LA: to live a better day-to-day existence.

Quote:
And you might want to brush up on the constitution
You might want to brush up on the constitutional amendment process:

https://www.archives.gov/federal-register/constitution

Quote:
so why not talk about viable solutions instead of fantasizing about these cockamaney solutions.
I have. They are expensive and require a very large capital outlay for permanent infrastructure -- so large and expensive that you don't believe the numbers - you think they are massively flawed. Mutt doesn't believe the number of homeless.

You've proposed parking lots for tents and cars and RVs. I don't believe that is a solution either.

Old 09-11-2018, 11:56 AM

21,901 posts, read 16,637,289 times
Quote:
. Mutt doesn't believe the number of homeless.

You've proposed parking lots for tents and cars and RVs. I don't believe that is a solution either.
Who said I don’t believe the number of homeless?

And, right: parking lots and tents aren’t the solution ... they are parts of a necessarily multi-faceted set of solutions.

I’m traveling at the moment. Will get back to the conversation later.

Old 09-11-2018, 01:24 PM

5,267 posts, read 4,234,437 times
When they cleared out the river trail and civic center of homeless in OC nobody thought it would work. They gave the homeless 2 choices hotel vouchers or nothing. Most of them chose the hotels. It was a upgrade to the life they were living outside. They even had to be careful because people from all walks of life flocked there trying to get the vouchers. LA has been to weak and bleeding heart for way to long and now they have a true disaster on their hands. LA needs to start ruling the homeless not vice versa. They can probably consult with OC authorities to learn how to get things done.

Old 09-11-2018, 01:59 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,622,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finper View Post
When they cleared out the river trail and civic center of homeless in OC nobody thought it would work. They gave the homeless 2 choices hotel vouchers or nothing. Most of them chose the hotels. It was a upgrade to the life they were living outside. They even had to be careful because people from all walks of life flocked there trying to get the vouchers. LA has been to weak and bleeding heart for way to long and now they have a true disaster on their hands. LA needs to start ruling the homeless not vice versa. They can probably consult with OC authorities to learn how to get things done.
There was a good OP ed by Todd Spitzer about this .
Garcetti had critized OC’s handling of the homeless . In L.A the politicians have been enabling the homeless and its not doing anyone any favors .

One great quote from it

“We don’t accept homelessness as a way of life, and we don’t enable the homeless population.”

In defense of Orange County's 'NIMBY' stance on homelessness

Old 09-11-2018, 02:27 PM

13,027 posts, read 13,969,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Who said I don’t believe the number of homeless?
I typed too fast. I think it would be more accurate to say you don't believe in the number of units required steady state that I've said. I'm not trying to put words in your mouth. I think you said the max number you thought we'd need is about 10,000 units - or was it 10,000 homeless steady-state? Is that fair? Or did I misunderstand?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
And, right: parking lots and tents aren’t the solution ... they are parts of a necessarily multi-faceted set of solutions.

I’m traveling at the moment. Will get back to the conversation later.
Take your time. Don't reply while driving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles