Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-08-2018, 11:01 AM

9,807 posts, read 11,239,721 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Now here, you two post well, for a change

Plus 1 apiece.
Yes but this is NOT what the homeless advocates want. They want the housing precisely where the homeless are and advocacy groups are arguing a right to housing which they are interpreting as a right to housing in that place. They demand the housing be constructed right here. We saw this in the OC trial with the judge demanding it be built HERE. NO WAY! OC is ultra expensive. The right to housing they are trying to create is not borne of our constitution but rather some unratified UN "rights" that exist in their communist hearts only.

This is why the desert camps are a better idea. If we give in and they create their right to housing, it is a bad precedent. If it had to happen, San Berdoo is the place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2018, 11:41 AM

21,906 posts, read 16,649,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
Yes but this is NOT what the homeless advocates want. They want the housing precisely where the homeless are and advocacy groups are arguing a right to housing which they are interpreting as a right to housing in that place. They demand the housing be constructed right here. We saw this in the OC trial with the judge demanding it be built HERE. NO WAY! OC is ultra expensive. The right to housing they are trying to create is not borne of our constitution but rather some unratified UN "rights" that exist in their communist hearts only.

This is why the desert camps are a better idea. If we give in and they create their right to housing, it is a bad precedent. If it had to happen, San Berdoo is the place.
You sure like to throw around stereotyping labels. “Homeless advocates.” Give it a rest.

As for “desert camps”: um, no. They aren’t “a better idea” at all ... because, as has been explained a bazillion times here:

- the homeless won’t go/stay there

- The desert communities don’t want them there any more than you in OC ... and why, conversely, should those communites bear the burden you reject ... just because OC has more wealth? Pretty arrogant reasoning.

As for your certain response to the homeless not being willing to go/stay in desert camps: if you don’t like the laws of the land that protect your freedoms as the courts interpret them, you are free to mount campaigns to change the laws.

I didn’t write the constitution
I didn’t write the laws
I don’t interpret the laws

But I observe them functioning as they do, and advise you that you can’t, as things stand now, force the homeless to go/stay. And they won’t.

That said, most proposals being floated seem unnecessarily expensive and frankly stupidly conceived to me, as well.

Down from the mountains. Off to a boat day now!

Old 09-08-2018, 11:58 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,629,519 times
Quote:

Yeah this demand for homeless housing in the most expensive places in the world is nuts .
They want to build in Venice beach and the people in Venice are very upset . They have seen what the homeless have done to Venice . For the most part they haven’t been good neighbors.

But Of course the local politicians are using the same old virtue signaling and guilt trips .also last I checked property in Venice goes for about $1500 sq ft .. maybe higher now . hardly anyone in L.A with an education and good job can afford to live there. Shacks go for millions

Old 09-08-2018, 12:51 PM

639 posts, read 1,080,800 times
Quote:

In Boston (Cambridge to be precise) they built these "Rindge Towers" at the end of one of the subway lines which are somewhat apart from the rest of the city and which serve as low-income housing there. Often you can find some land that's slightly removed from the populated areas but still have access to transit. I'd guess you could find something like that somewhere in LA County, and in Orange County, and so on, without having to go all the way out to the desert. Nowadays they probably wouldn't use the tower style buildings and would build a bunch of smaller units.

I agree it's crazy to set up these official former-homeless neighborhoods in ritzy areas like they were trying to do in Venice Beach and Orange County a while back. But I think with a little effort they should be able to find a reasonable compromise.

Old 09-08-2018, 07:11 PM

13,027 posts, read 13,972,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genghis View Post
This is all true, but even without considering medical costs, homeless people are economically a drain on society, since their needs are provided by others, and there's also the opportunity cost of them not contributing economically to society.
Finally! I've been waiting for someone to raise the bolded above. It has taken a VERY long time for someone to hit on this. I tip my hat to you.

The bold part above is indeed a very compelling argument on why we should do something rather than do nothing.

Milton Friedman once told me that across all of the areas of society -- The Fine Arts, Literature, Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics, the various Engineering disciplines, Economics, Commerce, Finance, Technology, Medicine, Politics, Materials Science, Biology, Zoology, Genetics, etc etc etc -- across all of these areas of society, true advances have come from the work (and good luck) of a tiny, tiny fraction of one percent of all people. Some of those extremely rare people just might be among the homeless -- as well as salt-of-the-Earth contributors as well. This was part of Friedman's argument why subsidizing higher education makes sense, as it encourages a tremendous amount of indiscriminate sex among a highly discriminating gene pool.

For example, Steve Jobs was famously homeless for quite some time, couch surfing and dropping in on whatever university class he felt like attending (not registered and not paying tuition). CNBC television personality and former hedge fund manager Jim Cramer ("Mad Money") was once homeless, living out of his car on the coast of California.

I do not argue we should do nothing. Just the opposite. But doing something is expensive - and undertaking such an effort while saying it will somehow pay for itself isn't realistic. Doing something material will indeed require a huge public investment - and the public has a right to decide if it wants to do it or not. We need realistic cost estimates.

Old 09-08-2018, 07:25 PM

Thought this was interesting a group of people fed up with the homeless/transients causing problems in their neighborhoods .

They say they are being ignored by their representatives.

San Fernando Valley
45th Assembly District
27th Senate District
Once the crown jewels of Suburbia
Now a magnet for Transients, Tweakers and Trouble Makers.
Dirty needles and feces on our sidewalks and in our parks.
Diseased people littering our streets, alleys, horse trails.
Brush fires starting everywhere.
The signers of this Petition are seeking the ACTIVE ENGAGEMENT and OPEN DIALOG of our State Representatives.

We are requesting Hon. Jesse Gabriel and
Senator Henry Stern to ENGAGE the Property Tax Paying Stakeholders of this community.

https://www.ipetitions.com/petition/transients

Old 09-08-2018, 07:26 PM

42,842 posts, read 26,668,258 times
Quote:
I agree, but that housing ought not be built in super expensive areas. The housing should be close to public transportation (perhaps at the end of a line), quite modest but functional, should be provided with many rules, but safe and as attractive as possible.

But before we do this and before I agree to spending on it, I need to know the definition of homelessness (minimum residency requirements and proof of such etc.), the requirements for housing, etc.
Once again you ignore a very significant issue, you cannot build housing in some "cheap place" and require homeless people to move there because unless it's close to where they are they most likely won't move. They don't trust people offering help, and they would be even less likely to believe that an offer of housing in the desert was anything other than a way to get them out of town, dump them off in some hellhole and leave them there.

There is no court, no matter how conservative that will allow for the involuntary relocation of homeless people. They aren't out demonstrating for free housing, for the most part they just want to be left alone so I'm not sure why you think they would be so anxious to sign up for your 'program'. And in regards to these: "many rules", I don't know about you but I would sleep in an alley before I would agree to be treated like I was in prison with "many rules".

Old 09-08-2018, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Thought this was interesting a group of people fed up with the homeless/transients causing problems in their neighborhoods .

They say they are being ignored by their representatives.
—
San Fernando Valley
45th Assembly District
27th Senate District
Once the crown jewels of Suburbia
Now a magnet for Transients, Tweakers and Trouble Makers.
Dirty needles and feces on our sidewalks and in our parks.
Diseased people littering our streets, alleys, horse trails.
Brush fires starting everywhere.
The signers of this Petition are seeking the ACTIVE ENGAGEMENT and OPEN DIALOG of our State Representatives.

We are requesting Hon. Jesse Gabriel and
Senator Henry Stern to ENGAGE the Property Tax Paying Stakeholders of this community.

https://www.ipetitions.com/petition/transients
94 people have signed? You should be out there on the corner getting signatures because I'm not thinking 94 people signing a petition is going to do a heck of a lot.

Old 09-08-2018, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Once again you ignore a very significant issue, you cannot build housing in some "cheap place" and require homeless people to move there because unless it's close to where they are they most likely won't move. They don't trust people offering help, and they would be even less likely to believe that an offer of housing in the desert was anything other than a way to get them out of town, dump them off in some hellhole and leave them there.

There is no court, no matter how conservative that will allow for the involuntary relocation of homeless people. They aren't out demonstrating for free housing, for the most part they just want to be left alone so I'm not sure why you think they would be so anxious to sign up for your 'program'. And in regards to these: "many rules", I don't know about you but I would sleep in an alley before I would agree to be treated like I was in prison with "many rules".
And if they demand a red Ferrari I guess we have to grant them that wish too ..

Hopefully at least you realize your point of view and opinions are probably shared by less than 1% of the tax paying population .

If someone is going to be so entitled to demand to live in Venice beach for example .. about $1500 sq ft for property ... if they are getting free housing .. do they deserve any housing ?

Old 09-08-2018, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
And if they demand a red Ferrari I guess we have to grant them that wish too ..
Once again you missed the point. I never suggested that you give them anything, not even a bottle of water. What I said is you can't build barracks in the desert and ship them there so that they will be out of your way, it's unconstitutional. If you want to get them off the sidewalk, build more shelters or give them a place to park or to pitch their tent so that the Police can enforce the existing law that prohibits people from sleeping on the street when shelter is available. Geezus...why is that so hard to understand and why do you try to make me out to be some kind of horrible person for suggesting it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles