Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2008, 08:41 AM

1,162 posts, read 3,243,188 times

Advertisements

Here's one:

"Written by someone who has never had to depend on bus service to get around."

Here's another one:

"You obviously have never been downtown I've spent 35 of my 39 years in Angeles, so I'll tell you exactly what is wrong with Downtown."

Sounds like you think you know me, making assumptions. Then you start telling me 'exactly what is wrong with Downtown."

Was this recap helpful?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2008, 08:50 AM

My post had absolutely nothing to do with busses. I don't like them either. I seem to be repeating myself.

My experiences are not the same as yours. Is that OK? Yes, waiting for a bus at 5th and Spring every night was not my idea of a good time, but I did it and never saw a fistfight. Our driver drove, that was it. On occasion there was a smelly bum sitting at the very back, and the bus was usually crowded. And yes, many are scratched up with grafitti and tags. Let's see, what else: yes, it can take longer to get home though that depends on where you live. I used to take an 'Express' bus (the 456) that sometimes got me downtown faster, sometimes not. I'll stick with rail because it doesn't share the roads.

Did I mention the station at 7th and Hope?

Originally Posted by CESpeed
Written by someone who has never had to depend on bus service to get around. The rails are fine but the bus system leaves a lot to be desired. Because: 1) There are dangerous. I've seen many fights break out on buses and no one doing a thing to stop it. 2) They are extremely unreliable. 3) They are overcrowded and stink. 4) The bus drivers are rude and unhelpful. 5) It takes 3 - 5 times as long to travel by bus than it does by car. 6) Half of them are scratched up with graffiti.

Old 03-09-2008, 09:48 AM

1 posts, read 3,218 times
Hey Rece, I'm actually an Otis fashion student but my school is two blocks from FIDM. I almost applied to FIDM and did a lot of research about it (from the campus to the apartments) so I feel my opinions are pretty valid. The FIDM campus is small but lovely, located in the most gentrified part of downtown (the area is known as south park) and is lucky to be within walking distance to the nicest Ralphs Supermarket in all of LA, haha. During the day, it's safe to walk around but always keep your guard up.

An easy way to find a place is by joining the FIDM network on facebook and myspace. You'll find ads posted about students looking for roommates. It's probably the easiest way to contact current students and alumni about any questions you might have.

Old 03-09-2008, 10:27 AM

1,287 posts, read 5,033,836 times
Rece, most FIDM students live downtown! The campus is in the South Park area or adjacent thereto. This is the most up and coming area of downtown from a residential neighborhood perspective. There are tons of new lofts and condos being built near FIDM. Downtown is home mostly to affluent/upwardly mobile professionals. A lot of students live downtown too, mostly from USC. So you will be in good company as far as being around your peers and people in your own age group. Downtown has a good selection of restaurants, bars and clubs that are heavily frequented on weekends. There is also a new Ralph’s grocery store down the street from FIDM. Staples Center (home of the Lakers) and LA Live, a major entertainment complex, are close to FIDM too and several of the city’s major and highest profile cultural institutions and attractions are downtown including Disney Concert Hall (home to the LA Philharmonic), MOCA, the Music Center, Dorothy Chandler Pavilion (home to LA Opera), and the LA Public Library. Plus the fashion industry in LA is based downtown, hence the strategic location of the FIDM campus. I would strongly encourage you look for places to live downtown within walking distance to FIDM before being led to places far and wide where you'll be stuck in traffic every day. Ignore the posts claiming that downtown is "filthy" and "nasty" and full of crime. This is a total exaggeration and on the whole is not true. Come see for yourself.

Old 03-09-2008, 10:49 AM

5,612 posts, read 15,147,291 times
Have you been anywhere downtown besides the newly gentrified part? It doesn't sound like it. The jewelry district is dirty, the Alley is dirty, Little Tokyo/Skid Row is definitelt dirty. There is a very small section of downtown that has been cleaned up and if you confine yourself to those areas, I suppose one could think downtown is a great place to live. It never has in the 35 years I've lived in L.A., but what would I know?

Old 03-09-2008, 11:05 AM

1,287 posts, read 5,033,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CESpeed View Post
Have you been anywhere downtown besides the newly gentrified part? It doesn't sound like it. The jewelry district is dirty, the Alley is dirty, Little Tokyo/Skid Row is definitelt dirty. There is a very small section of downtown that has been cleaned up and if you confine yourself to those areas, I suppose one could think downtown is a great place to live. It never has in the 35 years I've lived in L.A., but what would I know?
If you are talking to me, I live and work downtown. The jewelry district, Santee Alley, Little Tokyo and Skid Row represent a fraction of downtown, and are not where most people live, work or visit, and most importantly for the OP she won't be going to school nor does she need to live in those areas. FIDM is in South Park, which is a clean, gentrifying, relatively safe area. Also, the business district and Bunker Hill, where most of the corporate towers are located, is very clean, well maintained and nice as are large portions of South Park and the Civic Center.

Old 03-09-2008, 11:52 AM

5,612 posts, read 15,147,291 times
Those areas represent a large portion of Downtown. If you are going to give advice, be honest. No one would be willing to give the amount of money I would require to get me to live there, but at least I'm honest enough to say that "if one confined oneself to the newly gentrified areas they might be okay". The OP asking about living somewhere I think that deserves better than the L.A. tourist board-PR version of downtown.

Old 03-09-2008, 01:13 PM

Cool Propaganda comes in many forms

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealAngelion View Post
If you are talking to me, I live and work downtown. The jewelry district, Santee Alley, Little Tokyo and Skid Row represent a fraction of downtown, and are not where most people live, work or visit, and most importantly for the OP she won't be going to school nor does she need to live in those areas. FIDM is in South Park, which is a clean, gentrifying, relatively safe area. Also, the business district and Bunker Hill, where most of the corporate towers are located, is very clean, well maintained and nice as are large portions of South Park and the Civic Center.
Nothing like seeing it with your own two eyes, 'eh? I like to give people alittle credit, leave it to them to come to their own conclusions. Tarring anyone who actually LIKES living downtown as some kind of shill for the CRA or the Downtown News is insulting and condescending.

It's OK to enjoy buying a bottle of wine at Santee Market, and its OK to shop for books on Main Street, and I shouldn't even have to say that.

Old 03-09-2008, 02:03 PM

Cool In defense of Little Tokyo

Quote:
Little Tokyo actually occupies a very small slice of downtown (Map Of Little Tokyo Map!!). The boundaries are LA Street, Temple, 3rd Street, Alameda. And no, the Little Tokyo Lofts are NOT in LT, more like Skid Row.

My wife and I have been taking our OC-bred nieces to Little Tokyo since they were three years old (the oldest is 25). The first visit was the Children's Museum in the LA Mall. They had a blast. The most recent trip was to Oiwake Restuarant (my 14-year old niece loves sushi) about a month ago. There were six of us. Killer buffet.

We were near 2nd & Central. We went at night. Afterwards we had some time to kill before going to the Laemmle Grande to see a movie so we walked around 2nd Street and the little 'Village' area next to the restaurant. We saw a new Pinkberry, the American Apparel shop, a funky gift store, a couple of nightclubs, not to mention the market in the village. I even took pictures, much to their embarrassment. Hey, I like LT, so shoot me.

We also saw the huge residential development at 2nd & Central, across from the Office Depot and Starbucks. Hardly hotbeds of crime and mayhem.

Our night out was not an isolated event. We've been to the Weiland (eight of us that time) to celebrate a 21st birthday. The place was packed and on a weekday to boot. The Weiland is at 1st and Central. Been many times day and night.

There is also a huge supermarket at Alameda and Third, within the Mitsuwa Market Place, an indoor shopping mall. It was there long before Ralphs opened on 9th Street. I have yet to encounter a dangerous mall and this ain't one of them.

Probably been to the Cafe Metropol ten times over the years. That would be near Garey and Third, I think. There are some very nice restaurants in the same complex and a really nice converted toy factory, now lofts, at 3rd and Center, across from SCI-Arc. And who wouldn't dig R23?

To the north you've got the Japanese-American Museum, the East-West Players theatre (a converted church), MOCA and First Street with its historic markers in the sidewalk and beautifully preserved, decades-old buildings.

Oh yeah, and MTA is building a light-rail station across the street.

I think I've pretty much covered the entire area.

Spent alot of time in the Fashion District as well, but I'm done for now.

Old 03-09-2008, 05:44 PM

Default Living, versus visiting

Quote:
Sorry, got on a jag there. Regarding LIVING down there? Absolutely, tho I am not one for the condo gig, which is what alot of the LT 'lofts' look like to me. If I wanted condo living, I would move back to OC- been there, done that. But being close to the supermarket on Alameda, the Starbucks, Quiznos, Oiawke, Tokyo Spa (massage and steam, $60 for an hour and a half- can't beat it)? That would be perfect, at least for me.

We looked at the Savoy and Artisan townhomes across from the Home Depot. They are very nice but, again, they are not lofts by any stretch. There is a bank of other similar apartments nearly completed heading east down Second Street.

We have looked at the Higgins at 2nd and Main. I think that would be fine, though it is tough finding a big enough unit.

FYI, my wife and I are looking at the Chapman Flats @ 8th and Broadway. If I could sell my place and put nearly everything I got into the Chapman, I would have little or no monthly payment, save for the HOA fees. Hell, maybe I could retire early. Truth be told, I would love to own a floor at the Tomahawk Building (bet. 8th and 9th on Spring, behind Angelique's cafe), but I don't have 3/4 of a million bucks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles