Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2015, 07:55 PM

2,153 posts, read 2,953,145 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Youngcorporate View Post
couldn't disagree more with you. The Village along with Topanga & Promenade will be the largest regional center in California and one of the largest in the country. It's destined to be "the scene" for not only the Valley, but also the entire Los Angeles as well. The Grove really is just a tourist attraction, not much to be scene as it's not many shops or restaurants there.
The Village at westfield Topanga will have better shopping and dining options than the Grove. Also Westfield Topanga is already a celeb haven with the likes of Britney Spears, Jessica Simpson, Kim Kardashian, Katie Holmes, Drake, and many others shopping there, the Village is destined to be the new "hot spot". Flagship Nordstrom, Neiman' Marcus, Macy's, Costco, Target, and Bloomingdale's (In the Works), this will be the new retail destination for Southern California competing with South Coast Plaza down in Orange County.
Where would Bloomingdales go in the project?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2015, 07:57 PM

Quote:
ghirardelli soda fountain & chocolate shop will be opening in the village. It will be wonderful!
Ghiradelli soda fountain is an excellent place.

Old 01-26-2015, 09:25 PM

3,049 posts, read 4,588,713 times
Quote:
couldn't disagree more with you. The Village along with Topanga & Promenade will be the largest regional center in California and one of the largest in the country. It's destined to be "the scene" for not only the Valley, but also the entire Los Angeles as well. The Grove really is just a tourist attraction, not much to be scene as it's not many shops or restaurants there.
The Village at westfield Topanga will have better shopping and dining options than the Grove. Also Westfield Topanga is already a celeb haven with the likes of Britney Spears, Jessica Simpson, Kim Kardashian, Katie Holmes, Drake, and many others shopping there, the Village is destined to be the new "hot spot". Flagship Nordstrom, Neiman' Marcus, Macy's, Costco, Target, and Bloomingdale's (In the Works), this will be the new retail destination for Southern California competing with South Coast Plaza down in Orange County.
That being said, let's talk about cleaning up the Canoga Park side of Victory Blvd. now....it's hideous!

Old 01-26-2015, 10:02 PM

37 posts, read 59,204 times
Quote:
I was about to say the same. I study retail as part of my job. Westfield seems to have a lot of high-profile projects in the works all over the world, but this one is up there. 3.8 million square feet, the combined space of the three malls in their current proposal, is nothing short of a retail supernova. South Coast Plaza, by contrast, is just 2.8 million square feet. The proposed complex is so big Westfield supposedly considered adding a monorail to connect the 3 properties (good luck getting that built, folks )

The new rule seems to be that a new shopping mega-complex needs to have a significant outdoor component to be a big draw - nothing like South Coast Plaza (entirely indoors) is being built anymore these days. The largest indoor/outdoor shopping area is currently the Galleria-Americana complex in Glendale, which combines the huge Glendale Galleria mall with the Americana at Brand, the Grove's identical but larger twin. As popular as that place currently is, the new Topanga will probably eclipse it once the village is complete, at least if the "artist's rendering video" (LINK) is any indication.

One thing I wonder about - there's been a lot said about the Village, but not much about how they'll renovate the currently near-empty Promenade mall, which will be necessary to complete their plan. But I also didn't know Bloomingdale's was part of the project - maybe that's the ideal spot for them to go?

Old 01-26-2015, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rs913 View Post
I was about to say the same. I study retail as part of my job. Westfield seems to have a lot of high-profile projects in the works all over the world, but this one is up there. 3.8 million square feet, the combined space of the three malls in their current proposal, is nothing short of a retail supernova. South Coast Plaza, by contrast, is just 2.8 million square feet. The proposed complex is so big Westfield supposedly considered adding a monorail to connect the 3 properties (good luck getting that built, folks )

The new rule seems to be that a new shopping mega-complex needs to have a significant outdoor component to be a big draw - nothing like South Coast Plaza (entirely indoors) is being built anymore these days. The largest indoor/outdoor shopping area is currently the Galleria-Americana complex in Glendale, which combines the huge Glendale Galleria mall with the Americana at Brand, the Grove's identical but larger twin. As popular as that place currently is, the new Topanga will probably eclipse it once the village is complete, at least if the "artist's rendering video" (LINK) is any indication.

One thing I wonder about - there's been a lot said about the Village, but not much about how they'll renovate the currently near-empty Promenade mall, which will be necessary to complete their plan. But I also didn't know Bloomingdale's was part of the project - maybe that's the ideal spot for them to go?
I wonder what will be done with that old promenade? Bloomingdales could take over the current sears location.

Old 01-27-2015, 11:09 AM

A Bloomingdales would be great at westfield topanga

Old 01-27-2015, 04:53 PM

When would bloomingdales open at westfield topanga?

Old 01-28-2015, 05:28 PM

As I drove by today they are working hard on that village.

Old 01-28-2015, 07:42 PM

37 posts, read 59,204 times
Actually, I take back what I said earlier (after a convo with a colleague who knows a little more about what's going on in "the 818")

The smart place for Bloomingdale's to go would be the village, and with one of their new smaller stores.

The 2nd-smartest place for them to go would be the main mall, in the spot Sears announced today that it's vacating.

But this assumes they're even interested in expanding to Topanga - this was mentioned by someone upthread but my colleague knows nothing about such plans, a Google search turns up nothing, and Bloomingdale's already has a store at Fashion Square in Sherman Oaks.

And the smart thing for Westfield to do would be to abandon the Promenade and focus on the main mall and the village. They're already creating a lot of new retail space out of thin air with the Village. Rehabbing the Promenade on top of that might be a bit too ambitious. The fact that they don't seem to have much of a plan for the Promenade suggests that they'll probably give up and sell it to someone else for redevelopment.

That said, the future of retail in that part of the Valley still looks really bright, even if it won't be setting any records for square footage.

Old 01-28-2015, 09:36 PM

I'm not surprised that sears is closing it topanga mall store.

Tonight I ate dinner at il fornaio in Beverly Hills and the manager of il fornaio confirmed that il fornaio will be opening a location in woodland hills at westfield topanga village.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles