Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2015, 04:03 PM

13,711 posts, read 9,227,271 times

Advertisements

It seems that the LA residents on this board are the only ones who didn't know LA is a collection of suburbs. So I guess I'll just leave it to the So CA station KCET to explain to them:

How We Got This Way (Los Angeles has Always Been Suburban) | Where We Are | SoCal Focus | KCET

But I'm sure KCET doesn't know what the hell they're talking about. Afterall, it's not like they do news or do research or anything.....

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2015, 05:14 PM

9,828 posts, read 9,409,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beb0p View Post
It seems that the LA residents on this board are the only ones who didn't know LA is a collection of suburbs. So I guess I'll just leave it to the So CA station KCET to explain to them:

How We Got This Way (Los Angeles has Always Been Suburban) | Where We Are | SoCal Focus | KCET

But I'm sure KCET doesn't know what the hell they're talking about. Afterall, it's not like they do news or do research or anything.....

From your own article:

Quote:
Outside the gated and guarded walls, the aging, mid-20th century suburbs of the San Fernando Valley, the San Gabriel Valley, and the Los Angeles plain evolved into an ethnically diverse and complex metropolis in which no single economic or cultural center dominates a region that is neither conventionally suburban in character nor fully urban
I disagree with that last bit though. This is fully urban:

These are suburbs:

Old 02-21-2015, 05:51 PM

4,663 posts, read 4,546,351 times
The comparison shots are apples and oranges. The LA shots cover much more area (100s of blocks from way up high) while in the "suburb" shots, two blocks take up nearly a quarter of the frame. I'm sure you could cherry-pick the other way and find similar shots in Hancock Park or Pasadena. When driving through Lakewood or Cerritos, does that scream "big city" to you, or "suburbs"?

Old 02-21-2015, 06:09 PM

1,780 posts, read 1,759,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Zero View Post
The comparison shots are apples and oranges. The LA shots cover much more area (100s of blocks from way up high) while in the "suburb" shots, two blocks take up nearly a quarter of the frame. I'm sure you could cherry-pick the other way and find similar shots in Hancock Park or Pasadena. When driving through Lakewood or Cerritos, does that scream "big city" to you, or "suburbs"?
It definitely doesn't scream urban or suburban. When I think of conventional suburbs, I think of areas just 20-30 minutes outside DT Chicago for example. Huge lots, shopping malls, spaced out office mid rises hugging the freeway.

Even on street level, Cerritos feels closer to urban than anything outside of DT Chicago.

Old 02-21-2015, 06:22 PM

3,190 posts, read 3,183,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beb0p View Post
So an article who's content doesn't match it's title is more knowledgeable than the people who actually live in Los Angeles?

Quote:
Can you find shots of Los Angeles neighborhoods that look like the shots in this thread of suburbia in other cities? I certainly can't. I haven't even seen neighborhoods like that here and I've been all over this city, exploring it as much as possible.

Old 02-21-2015, 07:09 PM

I think this shot of Cerritos looks pretty similar to this "suburban" photo:

I think the Cerritos homes even have bigger yards.

Old 02-21-2015, 08:19 PM

1,780 posts, read 1,759,534 times
Quote:

Good point. But in terms of density in LA County, Cerritos ranks 157th. Even then it feels less suburban than those neighborhoods I mentioned in Chicagoland. Also, Cerritos is on the very southern border of LA county, which is massive.

Old 02-21-2015, 09:55 PM

3,190 posts, read 3,183,326 times
Quote:

Really look at Cerritos compared to this suburbia-

The red line shows where it ends, and the blue line shows the central area of the planned community, meaning you're not even seeing half of the suburban soulsink.

Old 02-21-2015, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MordinSolus View Post
Really look at Cerritos compared to this suburbia-

The red line shows where it ends, and the blue line shows the central area of the planned community, meaning you're not even seeing half of the suburban soulsink.
Just because there's another suburban neighborhood adjacent to one suburb doesn't mean necessarily mean that they're not suburbs. It could also mean that there's more sprawl.

Old 02-21-2015, 11:17 PM

I also don't necessarily consider suburban living to be bad, or a "soul-sink". I would call the part of LA where I live suburban, and I enjoy it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles