Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2013, 10:18 AM

20,779 posts, read 20,138,344 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerf Herder View Post
I also notice that not only have women gotten taller over the years, but they've gotten larger boobies too, haven't you noticed? Seems like every woman I see has a 32 or larger, or maybe I just notice that more as I grow older
Absolutely true. Especially American women.

I blame it on processed foods and all the chemicals in it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2013, 10:31 AM

6,622 posts, read 4,947,206 times
Bigger breasts, independent of weight, is fact, verified by surveys.

Okay, I got called out on pollution stunting males only. Still it could affect males more than females, because boys spend more time outdoors.

Old 12-23-2013, 10:53 AM

4,213 posts, read 8,346,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElysianEagle View Post
yes, because picking mates from your social network reduces the competition you have to go up against.

see, in large cities, and with the decline in community/civic participation that's been going on and documented by sociologists for the last several decades, people have to compete in the open market of the dating world. this naturally means that competition is way stiffer than it would be if, say, you were limiting your dating activities to people that you only met through friends or the church or some such scheme.

in fact, if i had to take a gander, i'd say that much of dating in the past was done in this way precisely for this reason. it limits the choices availabe to you, but at the same time also restricts the competition. you might not meet a supermodel or a movie star this way, but you'll still get dates.

otherwise it's more a winner take all system...
Indeed, and the winner take all system doesn't work, because women will always be looking for the next best guy. So she may go on a date with a decent guy that in a small town they'd be getting married, but here she could say "he's nice and all, but maybe not quite what i'm looking for, not really feeling it"

It's also much easier to please a female in a smaller environment. The big city offers so many options, temptations, and expenses.

With advent of online dating, apps, big cities dating has gotten screwn up. Baby boomers even had to date within relatively small circles. I think this is one reason why wealthy nations are no longer reproducing. The US would be declining in population if it wasnt for hispanic immigrants.

Old 12-23-2013, 05:02 PM

8,486 posts, read 13,603,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
Bigger breasts, independent of weight, is fact, verified by surveys.
I am guessing the survey was referring to natural breasts, right?

How come I never got the "jury duty" notice for that study?

Old 12-23-2013, 05:26 PM

1 posts, read 1,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
I can just picture it now .. "I could never move to L.A...the smog, the traffic ...and the short men!"

I'm a 6'4" guy...so I guess everyone looks short to me
6,1 here my ideal was 6,4 but hey i can't complain

Old 12-23-2013, 10:18 PM

37,199 posts, read 42,441,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElysianEagle View Post
yes, because picking mates from your social network reduces the competition you have to go up against.

see, in large cities, and with the decline in community/civic participation that's been going on and documented by sociologists for the last several decades, people have to compete in the open market of the dating world. this naturally means that competition is way stiffer than it would be if, say, you were limiting your dating activities to people that you only met through friends or the church or some such scheme.

in fact, if i had to take a gander, i'd say that much of dating in the past was done in this way precisely for this reason. it limits the choices availabe to you, but at the same time also restricts the competition. you might not meet a supermodel or a movie star this way, but you'll still get dates.

otherwise it's more a winner take all system...
This is so true. More choices...MORE CHOICES...it can be too much of a good thing. People go into analysis paralysis and get overwhelmed when they know that there could be someone better out there because, yes there usually can be someone better. People have to actively decide to stop looking and that's not something everyone is capable of. It's scary.

Old 12-24-2013, 04:13 PM

1,162 posts, read 3,245,287 times
Native Californian here. Grew up in OC, moved to Los Angeles 20 years ago. 6' 6".

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
Over the years, I've heard a few complaints from women than tall men in LA are hard to find. Or at least tall single men. Is that so? I'm guessing it is, because most actors seem short and LA has a high percentage of Asians and Latinos, who often are short. By the way, I'm a tall man and I do see tall men out and about, though I don't pay much attention to the percentage nor do I know what's common elsewhere.

Old 12-26-2013, 03:03 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,071,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickdahammer View Post
Native Californian here. Grew up in OC, moved to Los Angeles 20 years ago. 6' 6".
OC and the beach towns all the way to San Diego has a lot of taller ppl. The stereotypical tall blonde ppl are in the OC and other beach areas I've seen.

I'm back in the TX and feel short as hell.

Old 12-26-2013, 08:56 PM

195 posts, read 349,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
OC and the beach towns all the way to San Diego has a lot of taller ppl. The stereotypical tall blonde ppl are in the OC and other beach areas I've seen.

I'm back in the TX and feel short as hell.
Lol yeah Texas and the other areas around or the south have very tall people. I know some people in Texas and other states nearby and they are over 6'4

Old 12-26-2013, 11:18 PM

6,622 posts, read 4,947,206 times
I was trying to base an idea off the OC/LA difference, but it didn't go very far. Instead I'll discuss new parents. Taller men are generally more desirable (when not extremely tall), and let's assume that all heights are equally family-oriented and that many middle-class people move out of LA County in order to raise kids. Also, factor in that Mexicans in LA tend to not have much money and to be rather short and insular. So generally tall guys couple up earlier than others who would be inclined to go and leave them and one major, smaller-sized ethnic group behind. Armenians probably stick around, too. I'll throw in the possibly exaggerated and vaguely offensive idea that Jews are wealthy, then they (a generally not tall bunch) might have enough money to stay and raise kids in LA. [I might need to hide from accusations of bias or fanciful thinking.]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles