Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2013, 02:57 PM

4,213 posts, read 8,312,876 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Which parts are those?
The Hollywood Hills and the area close to Runyon Canyon. But I take it back, nobody would mistake those areas with the Westside. I think by anyone's definition the Westside ends at La Cienega, maybe at most Fairfax/La Brea, but may extend a little bit to Hancock Park/Windsor Square.

thelopez: you may have been tired but you still left them out. gotta be precise when describing things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2013, 03:45 PM

1,319 posts, read 2,198,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by disgruntled la native View Post
There's more than one answer for this. I think most would say La Cienega. La Cienega is the eastern border of Beverly Hills and Culver City (I know a small amount of BH goes to San Vicente and a small amount of CC goes to Fairfax, but generally speaking), which are the two easternmost westside cities. The most tony, westside part of WeHo also stretches to La Cienega. At La Cienega are the last bastions of westside culture like the Beverly Center and Cedars.

La Cienega is about 8 miles from the beach in Santa Monica, and is pretty much the halfway point between Santa Monica and Downtown LA.

to some degree the Westside culture spreads as far east as La Brea Ave, or Western Ave if you take in Hancock Park and the nice parts of Hollywood.
This.

Old 09-27-2013, 09:15 PM

9,828 posts, read 9,426,385 times
Doheny Drive. Dividing lines don't get more obvious than it.

Sunset Strip/Boystown/Melrose Ave/Miracle Mile do not fit "Westside" living, and very consider them part of that. These areas are all East of Doheny.

Old 09-27-2013, 09:19 PM

4,213 posts, read 8,312,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
Doheny Drive heading into Beverly Hills. Dividing lines don't get more dramatic than that.

I can't think of one native who considers the Sunset Strip/Boystown/Melrose Ave/Miracle Mile to be "Westside" neighborhoods. These areas are all East of Doheny.
But the parts of Beverly Hills, city of LA, and Culver City east of Doheny (or in Culver City's case, Robertson) are the Westside aren't they?

The lines in LA have blurred more and more. Most westsiders do go to West Hollywood and vice versa. Many Beverly Hills residents have their local shopping and entertainment in West Hollywood or "Beverly Grove" (by Cedars and the Beverly Center).

Boystown is its own world, but West Hollywood West (closer to Melrose and Beverly by Doheny/La Cienega) has plenty of families and very pricy homes with a distinct "East Beverly Hills" vibe to it.

Old 09-28-2013, 12:43 AM

513 posts, read 914,814 times
West of La Cienaga

Old 09-28-2013, 02:24 AM

10,078 posts, read 15,872,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panamajack78 View Post
West of La Cienaga
I would definitely amend my Fairfax statement to La Cienega.

Old 09-28-2013, 01:46 PM

9,828 posts, read 9,426,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by disgruntled la native View Post
But the parts of Beverly Hills, city of LA, and Culver City east of Doheny (or in Culver City's case, Robertson) are the Westside aren't they?

The lines in LA have blurred more and more. Most westsiders do go to West Hollywood and vice versa. Many Beverly Hills residents have their local shopping and entertainment in West Hollywood or "Beverly Grove" (by Cedars and the Beverly Center).

Boystown is its own world, but West Hollywood West (closer to Melrose and Beverly by Doheny/La Cienega) has plenty of families and very pricy homes with a distinct "East Beverly Hills" vibe to it.
You're right, Pico-Robertson, the parts of BH east of Doheny, and Culver City are definitely Westside. This makes makes a linear North-South dividing line virtually impossible. This map is a good compromise.

Westside - Mapping L.A. - Los Angeles Times

Old 09-28-2013, 02:38 PM

1,962 posts, read 4,488,133 times
Um, the Pacific Ocean?

Old 09-28-2013, 02:48 PM

2,440 posts, read 3,433,762 times
Well geographically speaking the West Side addresses actually begin at Zero dot-Main Street, adjacent to East Metro Los Angles, or whichever streets coincide with that to the north or south. But yes, the popular "West L.A." demarcation tends to be somewhere between La Brea Ave. and La Cienega Blvd, where the lower paid neighborhoods merge with the higher paid ones.

Old 09-28-2013, 04:29 PM

1,616 posts, read 2,492,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike121 View Post
People will tell you different things, but, I'm right and anyone who disagrees with me is wrong. There is only one true answer. La Cienega! ;-)
I am accepting this answer as the only correct one!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles