Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2010, 11:52 AM

450 posts, read 1,407,569 times

Advertisements

Just trying to get a sense of what people think about the "Neighbors for Smart Rail." Its an organization supported by some West L.A. homeowners associations that argue the Expo line should be built "below grade" as a light rail subway or not built at all. They argue the above ground Expo Line will ruin their quality of life, increase traffic, be loud, and dangerous. Most of the opposition is in Cheviot Hills and Rancho Park right next to the line. Crossings will be at grade at Westwood and also at Overland. The line runs down a current right away that was formerly a Pacific Electric Railway car. Freight trains also operated down the former railway there until 1980 and Metro bought the land after wards for public transit, so rail is NOT new to this area. Phase I runs from Downtown L.A.- Culver City and take 25 minutes. Phase II runs from Culver City - Santa Monica 4th street in downtown. Ride time from Santa Monica to downtown L.A. is estimated at 40-45 minutes.

What do you all think about Expo Phase II??? Are Neighbors for Smart Rail right to pursue legal action??? Is Metro right or wrong??? Would you ride the Expo Line??

Phase I route map (finished 2011):

Phase II map (finished 2014-15)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2010, 12:02 PM

1,338 posts, read 2,025,735 times
It's a great project and I'd definitely ride it since I live on the westside and work right next to the 7th/Metro stop in Downtown. All in all, it should be grade separated but that comes at a considerable cost and I'd rather have it built at grade than not at all.

Old 06-26-2010, 02:55 PM

109 posts, read 446,840 times
Subway would be nice but I don't care either way if they actually build it within my lifetime.

Old 06-26-2010, 07:14 PM

787 posts, read 1,943,080 times
I think "Neighbors for Smart Rail" are looking out for thier own self-interest as opposed to any sense of what is good for the region.

Subway (or underground light rail) only makes economic sense in very highly dense corridors (like Wilshire Blvd). I would favor grade separations at Wilshire and Overland but it should be built as above ground light rail as currently proposed.

This kind of opposition is unfortunately, nothing new to LA rail politics. In the 1980's you had homeowner groups in Hancock Park (with an assist from Congressman Henry Waxman) effectively "KILL" the subway from being extended under Wilshire Blvd. Never mind that the Wilshire route is the most densely populated corridor in LA.

I see SOME progress. This Cheviot Hills group is AT LEAST open to the idea of an underground train. I guess traffic has gotten so bad that the NIMBY (Not in my Backyard) Groups can NOT totally oppose these types of projects. They just know how bad they would look if they came straight out and said flat out no rail at all.

Old 06-26-2010, 08:21 PM

1,162 posts, read 3,237,203 times
I don't think the line needs to be built below grade. I've been on light-rail cars in Rome, Istanbul, Highland Park. People get used to them. Plus, they have a higher profile which I think helps let people know they are there for them if they want to leave the car at home and try something new.

The Expo construction is progressing, just not so sure about attitudes. I like driving down Exposition Blvd., or checking out the progress on the aerial structure they are building near 8855 Sepulveda. Alot of work by USC as well. The only hitch now is this action taken by people who don't think schoolkids are smart enough to get out the way of oncoming trains (Farmdale crossing). I think Expo is gonna be a very convenient line. I would use it for the NHM and the Science Center for sure.

I attended a Cheviot Hills Expo meeting years ago and those people were asking me questions about light rail because I live near a Gold Line station. When I told them it was a 'win-win' they didn't believe me- thought trains were 'dirty' and endangered children. I asked them if they had ever ridden on a train. None had. These are the sort of people that unfortunately drown out the many who actually support the project.

That said, I think that attitude has changed somewhat over time, once they realized that traffic is stopped at signals as much or more than traffic stopped when a train passes through. Also, the Gold Line trains operate by schools and I have yet to hear anything negative about that. Of course, the more people who actually RIDE the train would know that. A great site for getting updated photos and opinion on not on the Expo, but all the lines is the Transit Coalition discussion page.

The Transit Coalition - Home

The Friends for Expo people have some good stuff as well.

The Expo Line - Friends 4 Expo Transit Home Page

Old 06-26-2010, 10:07 PM

425 posts, read 1,955,646 times
These people should travel to Chicago. I love the L, but seriously, if they seen how close some lines travel to some buildings, suddenly, the Metro's plans won't seem so bad.

Old 06-27-2010, 02:20 AM

39,031 posts, read 23,025,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coo77 View Post
Just trying to get a sense of what people think about the "Neighbors for Smart Rail." Its an organization supported by some West L.A. homeowners associations that argue the Expo line should be built "below grade" as a light rail subway or not built at all. They argue the above ground Expo Line will ruin their quality of life, increase traffic, be loud, and dangerous. Most of the opposition is in Cheviot Hills and Rancho Park right next to the line. Crossings will be at grade at Westwood and also at Overland. The line runs down a current right away that was formerly a Pacific Electric Railway car. Freight trains also operated down the former railway there until 1980 and Metro bought the land after wards for public transit, so rail is NOT new to this area. Phase I runs from Downtown L.A.- Culver City and take 25 minutes. Phase II runs from Culver City - Santa Monica 4th street in downtown. Ride time from Santa Monica to downtown L.A. is estimated at 40-45 minutes.

What do you all think about Expo Phase II??? Are Neighbors for Smart Rail right to pursue legal action??? Is Metro right or wrong??? Would you ride the Expo Line??

This rail line is sorely needed as it takes us transit riders FOREVER to get to the westside. I'm so sick and tired of folks impeding progress and driving up the costs of construction by their delays.

Old 12-21-2010, 06:21 PM

The lawsuit of Neighbors for Smart Rail vs. Expo Line Authority was today. NFSR was challenging the Enviornmental Impact Report on several fronts, saying that it was not done properly. The judge ruled in favor of Expo, allowing the Expo Authority to award its contracts in February for construction on the line to begin on time and as soon as possible. NFSR vows to appeal, but the transit authority will be moving along with bids and construction as the appeal will most likely fail horribly.

Judge's Ruling
Expo Line Phase 2 Gets Judge's Blessing, But Neighbors Vow To Appeal - Los Angeles News - The Informer

Streetsblog Los Angeles » Tomorrow’s Main Event: Neighbors for Smart Rail Gets Its Day in Court

LA Times Opinion Section:
L.A.'s Expo light-rail line - latimes.com

Old 12-21-2010, 06:27 PM

2,131 posts, read 4,915,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coo77 View Post

Why not build it as an elevated line?

Old 12-21-2010, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrcousert View Post
Why not build it as an elevated line?
Most likely the cost. Building bridges cost millions more at each intersection. Residents in the neighborhood still would have opposed it for "visual blight" as well. Metro will sequence train crossings with adjacent stop lights. You'll only have around 24 trains pass through per hour, while adjacent stop lights change many more times per hour. The Overland/Ashby light changes on average 40 times per hour. The effect of the train to traffic is just like having a small stoplight with low traffic put in. I don't know why residents are acting like it is going to be some 2 mile long freight train going through the crossing that you wait forever for. It will probably be a 20 second wait for a Metro train to pass through.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles