Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2013, 10:11 AM

10,078 posts, read 15,863,499 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Yes. I haven't seen any mention of her family, which is concerning.

The video clip in the elevator is disturbing.

To the OP, as for this not getting media attention, it was on the front page of the metro section of the LA Times yesterday.
If you ask me it looks like she was on some heavy drugs in that clip. And I've seen stuff about her family. I think they are in LA right now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2013, 10:30 AM

3,550 posts, read 6,491,825 times
poor girl..she came to LA to live out her California dreams but ended up face down in a roof top water tank. This is like something right out of a James Ellroy novel

Old 02-21-2013, 10:42 AM

6,802 posts, read 6,717,464 times
Or a Wambaugh novel.

Old 02-21-2013, 06:31 PM

5,346 posts, read 9,859,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capablanca View Post
Looks like her decomposing body may have gotten into the water that supplies the hotel rooms.

Corpse found in L.A. hotel's water tank - CNN.com
If I had been drinking that water I wouldn't be able to stop vomiting.

I wonder about health issues that could arise from drinking the water that was contaminated by a decomposing body?

Old 02-21-2013, 07:22 PM

23,544 posts, read 24,049,201 times
I hope they find out what happened and punish those responsible (if it was a criminal act).

Old 02-21-2013, 08:06 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,707,996 times
The story makes me cringe. First off, that poor girl And second, that is so gross! Can you imagine drinking water that was touched by a decomposing body? I couldn't even drink water that touched my own body!

Old 02-21-2013, 09:08 PM

27 posts, read 61,479 times
A seedy hotel with dim lit hallways, bugs flying and scurrying about, seedy neighbors who might be criminals, and now a murder.

This sounds like something out of a noir movie.

Old 02-21-2013, 11:24 PM

1,542 posts, read 6,042,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yamota View Post
poor girl..she came to LA to live out her California dreams but ended up face down in a roof top water tank. This is like something right out of a James Ellroy novel
she was just visiting for a week or so, then intended to head up to santa cruz before returning home to vancouver.

Old 02-21-2013, 11:40 PM

1,542 posts, read 6,042,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG72 View Post
That hotel is a mess still I guess. The lobby looks grand. But I'm assuming its still a mostly transient hotel. For years all it did was take vouchers that people on general relief(ie the homeless) got.

Theres a small part of it that turned into a relatively nice hostel called "Stay on Main" and I'm guessing thats where this girl was staying.

Hotels in Downtown Los Angeles | stay on main Hotel
yeah, the cecil hotel still houses a number of transients, drug addicts, and possible criminals. it's ridiculous how this place is allowed to advertise itself as a "two star hotel" on travel websites when in fact it's a flophouse. even with the small attached area called "stay" (the renovated boutique hostel you alluded to) and a trendy ground floor coffeehouse and restaurant, the place is still a dump.

i actually read somewhere (can't find the article right now) that the victim's room was in the divey unrenovated area of the cecil hotel rather than in the boutique hostel section. it doesn't even matter, though, since the two areas are connected - guests in the dumpy section of the building can freely walk into the youth hostel area, and vice versa.

i feel really bad for anyone who's ever had to stay at this dive. looking at tripadvisor and yelp, it seems that plenty of non-sketchy folks on a budget who happen to be visiting LA have been suckered into booking a room at this place due to the cheap rates and central location near public transportation. they have no idea how bad this place is until they arrive. talk about a bait-and-switch.

Old 02-22-2013, 12:55 AM

1,574 posts, read 5,119,088 times
this is a very creepy and mysterious case...really sounds like it's out of a movie...very sad a girl from Canada likely not used to having her guard up found dead on the top of a hotel with a checkered past.

it really sounds like foul play..however there was an article i read earlier in the week from the Canadian papers that said she had "depression"...the camera pics are creepy and bizarre though..i dont get why didn't the elevator doors close if she was trying to close them? now they're saying the alarms would have been activated from the door that led to the water tank- so how she got there in the first place...so disturbing to think it's an employee or one of the transient residents who's possibly aware of manipulating the security measures...

whatever it is, it's a sad and disturbing case
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles