Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2012, 08:32 PM

2 posts, read 5,223 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone

I am considering moving to Cerritos and have a couple of questions regarding neighborhood and schools.

How is the area surrounding South St/Studebaker Rd, near Liberty Park?

Any thoughts about Pliny Fisk Haskell Middle School? Some of the ratings (greatschools, schooldigger etc) give low ratings for this school?

Any thoughts on other schools (Bragg Elementary and Richard Gahr high)?

thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2012, 02:26 PM

3,004 posts, read 6,278,962 times
I don't know about this specific area unfortunately, (It looks nice on the map and the majority of Cerritos in general is pretty nice) but I do know you're only 5 miles away from one of the best prep schools in the entire U.S.: Middle and High Schools; Oxford Academy

Also it looks like that area is close to the 605 which is a busy freeway, I lived by the 5 freeway for years, and although it is loud, over time you'll get used to it.

Last edited by harhar; 04-16-2012 at 02:27 PM.. Reason: clarity

Old 04-16-2012, 10:47 PM

5,113 posts, read 19,774,501 times
Near Liberty Park is a good area, if a little busy because of the major thoroughfares. Lots of parks(Westgate, Liberty, Mae Boyar, Rynerson, Monte Verde, West San Gabriel River Parkway Trail), horse trails(Lakewood Stables just to the south), Cerritos Mall just northeast, public library(at Mae Boyar), etc.

Gahr is a good school, but Cerritos is better. harhar mentioned Oxford, but Whitney is in district and is rated basically just as high(as in top 5 in state). The deal with Gahr and Haskell is that they also get the kids from Artesia, many of which are in a different socioeconomic class and from a different culture than those in Cerritos, so it will have some lower ratings. Regardless, ABC on the whole is a good district and good students will have the opportunities they need, plus, since Gahr is less competitive than Cerritos, it's easier to score in the top of your class and get guaranteed admission to UC and CSU schools.

Old 04-16-2012, 11:45 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,629,100 times
I grew up in Lakewood next to Cerritos.
Cerritos always seemed like the town of Stepford. Everyone wears the same clothes and drives the same cars. Against city law to work or wash your car in your own driveway.

Old 03-20-2013, 04:33 PM

43 posts, read 218,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolandcalm74 View Post
Hi Everyone

I am considering moving to Cerritos and have a couple of questions regarding neighborhood and schools.

How is the area surrounding South St/Studebaker Rd, near Liberty Park?

Any thoughts about Pliny Fisk Haskell Middle School? Some of the ratings (greatschools, schooldigger etc) give low ratings for this school?

Any thoughts on other schools (Bragg Elementary and Richard Gahr high)?

thanks in advance
I am a homeowner in Cerritos and my kids go to elementary school here also. To be honest, the BEST place is the Golden Triangle of Cerritos. That would be east of the 91 freeway, south of 166th, west of Marquardt. All the best schools are here. Stowers, Cerritos, Gonsalves, Carmenita JH, Cerritos HS and obviously Whitney HS. If you are looking for the best schools then this is the ONLY part of Cerritos that you need to look into.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles