Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2010, 10:12 AM

19 posts, read 84,114 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I'm looking to buy SFR and considering above mentioned areas. If you have to rate it in terms of neighborhood,safety etc. How will you rate
Cerritos, Lakewood and Artesia.(School district is same so i'm not adding that to the criteria)

Thanks
Sam.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2010, 04:19 PM

144 posts, read 608,304 times
Cerritos is the nicest and safest and is on a different level than Lakewood and Artesia. I'll estimate the medium home price in Cerritos is 550k, Lakewood 400K and Artesia 350K.

Not all of Lakewood is part of the ABC school district, a good portion is part Long Beach Unified. Also only the really good schools are within the city of cerritos boundaries, while ABC Unified has open enrollment policy, priority is given to those that live in the schools normal boundaries.

Old 12-02-2010, 06:46 PM

1 posts, read 10,328 times
go with Cerritos ,I live in Long beach , Lakewood is nice too, this entire area is expensive

Old 12-02-2010, 07:36 PM

5,113 posts, read 19,757,166 times
Lakewood has better family oriented neighborhoods and activities(Sports Illustrated #1 youth sports town), but the schools are slightly to greatly worse(such as the Paramount district area of Lakewood and east Lakewood/90715). Cerritos is the most prestigious, but also has the most draconian neighborhood measures(no overnight street parking, restrictions on what you can park in your driveway, only 1 drive-in restaurant in city limits, very few gas stations, etc). Artesia has a few nice neighborhoods and a lot of not so nice ones. IIRC, people from Artesia go to Gahr HS while Cerritos goes to Cerritos. You'd rather go to Cerritos unless you're child is brilliant and can get in to Whitney.

Old 12-03-2010, 05:16 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,603,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veg8 View Post
,,,,Not all of Lakewood is part of the ABC school district, a good portion is part Long Beach Unified.,,.
Lakewood residents have tried many times to create a Lakewood school district to no avail. Bellflower School District also has their foot in Lakewood.

I grew up in Lakewood. Decades ago it was known as lily white Lakewood as there was a primary white population. There used to be a large Dutch Community in Lakewood as there was a lot of dairy farms in the area.

Cerritos has always represented to me a Stepford town. Very controlled, no auto work in your driveway. Can't wash your car change your oil, have to do all that in your garage if you need. Cerritos has always been very a Asian community.

Artesia is very Indian. You will find many businesses with their names written in Indian.

Old 12-04-2010, 09:33 PM

1,962 posts, read 4,482,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by california_sam View Post
Hello,

I'm looking to buy SFR and considering above mentioned areas. If you have to rate it in terms of neighborhood,safety etc. How will you rate
Cerritos, Lakewood and Artesia.(School district is same so i'm not adding that to the criteria)

Thanks
Sam.
Can't tell you about school districts, but as far as the cities, generally:

Artesia: South of 91 freeway is better than north of it (that's most of the city, fortunately). The place has modernized a bit but the areas that are not heavy with ethnic shops seem like a throwback to another time.

Lakewood: West of 605 fwy is DEFINITELY better than east of it (again, fortunately for you, that is most of the city). That eastern edge is hard-smack against Hawaiian Gardens, a tiny city with big problems; specifically, a hostile Latino gang that was trying to drive out all the black population there, but that has been quashed of late. Anyway, there is more than enough room in the city not to have live east of 605. That part of Lakewood has its own issues as well.

Cerritos--Pretty much anywhere. The only touchy areas might be where it and Artesia AND Norwalk all come together, but it's more of a proximity issue than anything internal to such neighborhoods. Varrio Norwalk is prettly close to parts of northwest Cerritos, however. Not sure how "lethal" they are.

Old 12-04-2010, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsltd View Post
Varrio Norwalk is prettly close to parts of northwest Cerritos, however. Not sure how "lethal" they are.
There have been shootings off Excelsior and Bloomfield a couple times this year, including a young boy shot on his bike. That's a block north of where Cerritos ends at Alondra. It get's close. I'd stay away of anything north of the 91 and west of Bloomfield unless I was south of 166th

Old 12-04-2010, 11:58 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,382,016 times
As others have pointed out: Cerritos, Lakewood & Artesia in that order. Cypress is nice also.

Old 12-05-2010, 03:34 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,603,599 times
I have a house in Bellflower south of the 91, good neighborhood. Much of Bellflower can be rough. There is a nice neighborhood east of Woodruth just north of Flora Vista that has some very affluent homes on large lots. Bellflower started as a farming and dairy town and many homes were built on acre lots and larger, thru the years people built many rentals on the back halfs.

North Downey has some very nice homes.
Lakewood Country club area is nice.

Old 12-06-2010, 08:32 PM

That Bellflower neighborhood(where Caruthers Park resides) also has some horse properties still. I haven't been in the area in a few years, but I grew up off Flora Vista and it was very common to see people riding horses on the street(and see collections of road apples).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles