Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2012, 12:26 AM

6 posts, read 10,237 times

Advertisements

Marina del Rey to LAX is like a 15 minute drive; tough to beat that in SoCal. SM and Manhattan Beach are good options too. All have plenty of nightlife, but bars/clubs close at 2.

I live in MDR and don't plan on leaving anytime soon
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2012, 10:37 AM

33 posts, read 68,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slate44 View Post
Marina del Rey to LAX is like a 15 minute drive; tough to beat that in SoCal. SM and Manhattan Beach are good options too. All have plenty of nightlife, but bars/clubs close at 2.

I live in MDR and don't plan on leaving anytime soon
That's an awesome commute, just what I was looking for.. Is rent typically cheaper in MDR than SM? In MDR should I be looking for places closer to the shore? I saw on the map there's a playa del rey, is the all just considered to be the Del Rey area???

Old 04-13-2012, 11:00 AM

7,226 posts, read 22,203,668 times
MDR isn't cheaper than SM per se, but the units are generally newer, larger and better equipped. I've lived in both areas and have looked at units extensively so I feel like I have a pretty good idea of what you can expect. PDR is MDR's sleepy neighbor to the south. PDR is quite removed due to the marina and the airport. however, the beach is great there as it never gets too crowded, but the planes can be noisy. I also lived in PDR for a couple of years and you do get used to the plane noise fairly quickly.

Old 04-13-2012, 02:29 PM

33 posts, read 68,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRinSM View Post
MDR isn't cheaper than SM per se, but the units are generally newer, larger and better equipped. I've lived in both areas and have looked at units extensively so I feel like I have a pretty good idea of what you can expect. PDR is MDR's sleepy neighbor to the south. PDR is quite removed due to the marina and the airport. however, the beach is great there as it never gets too crowded, but the planes can be noisy. I also lived in PDR for a couple of years and you do get used to the plane noise fairly quickly.
Thanks.. I was searching for some places in MDR and came across the westend lofts, any input on this? I'm looking for a modern apartment with good amenities in the building.. Pool, nice courtyard, gym etc..

Old 04-13-2012, 05:23 PM

5,648 posts, read 8,060,162 times
Parts of Westchester and Playa Del Rey.

Old 04-13-2012, 06:24 PM

8,653 posts, read 6,136,760 times
It depends on a couple of factors.

1. What’s your housing budget monthly
2. What’s your race

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey P View Post
Hi everyone I'm thinking about moving from Buffalo to LAX to take an atc job and was wondering about some areas nearby? Rent cost is not a factor, I'm not married and do not have any children. With that being said, here are my preferences:

- Safe
- Reasonable commute (looking not to exceed 40 mins to and from work)
- Good bars/restos/nightlife
- Beach access

Also, how hard is it to meet new people in LA? I know absolutely no one lol

Thank you very much for your input

Old 04-13-2012, 06:26 PM

6,116 posts, read 12,605,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHABAZZ310 View Post
It depends on a couple of factors.

1. What’s your housing budget monthly
2. What’s your race
Oh here we go.

Old 04-13-2012, 06:47 PM

120 posts, read 480,280 times
westchester is a very good community, its LA, close to things nightlife and home of LAX. I didnt think marina del rey really had nightlife, but again, like westchester, very close to nightlife action without the lofty rent

Old 04-13-2012, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRinSM View Post
this is dead on

Old 04-13-2012, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey P View Post
That's an awesome commute, just what I was looking for.. Is rent typically cheaper in MDR than SM? In MDR should I be looking for places closer to the shore? I saw on the map there's a playa del rey, is the all just considered to be the Del Rey area???
anything south of Washington/west of Lincoln in the inner Marina is good; i prefer the Via Marina side
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles