Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2007, 06:27 PM

1,287 posts, read 5,026,592 times

Advertisements

Okay, here’s my list for singles or couples w/o kids. I basically applied most of the same criteria I used for my other list: neighborhoods within the city of LA and smaller cities and unincorporated areas of LA County; good recreation areas or access thereto, shopping conveniences and amenities, proximity to night life (bars/clubs), cleanliness, safety, housing options, high concentration of singles and professional couples, hip/trendy neighborhood vibe, etc.

Top 10 in Alpha order:

1. Beverly Hills
2. Brentwood
3. Long Beach
4. Manhattan Beach/Hermosa Beach/Redondo Beach
5. Miracle Mile/Fairfax District/Grove/Beverly Center area
6. Pasadena
7. Santa Monica
8. Studio City/Toluca Lake
9. West Hollywood
10. Westwood

Other areas worth considering in Alpha Order:

11. Burbank
12. Culver City
13. Downtown
14. Hollywood
15. Los Feliz
16. Marina Del Rey/Playa Del Rey/Playa Vista
17. Sherman Oaks/Valley Village
18. Silverlake
19. Venice
20. Woodland Hills
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2007, 12:21 AM

852 posts, read 3,815,883 times
Gay or straight, West Hollywood is a much better choice for singles or couples w/o kids than Beverly Hills or Brentwood. It's better located to all of L.A., has more varied places to walk to, is close to hiking and biking and is not as bogged down in traffic. Plus, it's cheaper.

Old 09-14-2007, 02:17 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,616,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LivingLikeAGradStudent View Post
Gay or straight, West Hollywood is a much better choice for singles or couples w/o kids than Beverly Hills or Brentwood. It's better located to all of L.A., has more varied places to walk to, is close to hiking and biking and is not as bogged down in traffic. Plus, it's cheaper.
The Strip area isn't cheaper than Brentwood or neighboring Beverly Hills. But southern and (especially) eastern WeHo are.

I'd recommend WeHo above Brentwood. As for Beverly Hills, not much difference between it and the neighboring parts of WeHo (for people without kids, that is). The big divide in WeHo when it comes to rents has been Crescent Heights (i.e whether it's closer to Beverly Hills, to the west, or it's closer to Hollywood, to the east).

Old 09-14-2007, 02:22 PM

723 posts, read 3,000,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LivingLikeAGradStudent View Post
Uhm, last time I checked, most of the time, mixed sexualities don't REALLY want to hang out together. Don't get me wrong, I have some gay friends and have been to WeHo, but I don't really wanna hang out there all the time. If I hit on a girl, I would like to know my chances are pretty good that she's straight. Or even a girl.

just sayin

Old 09-14-2007, 03:47 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,616,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackSparrow View Post
Uhm, last time I checked, most of the time, mixed sexualities don't REALLY want to hang out together. Don't get me wrong, I have some gay friends and have been to WeHo, but I don't really wanna hang out there all the time. If I hit on a girl, I would like to know my chances are pretty good that she's straight. Or even a girl.

just sayin
The lesbian population of Venice is at least as large as that of WeHo. OTOH, the gay male population is far smaller (particularly in SM ; Venice has always had some gays but they've never dominated to the extent that they have in WeHo or Silver Lake.)

Old 09-14-2007, 04:41 PM

723 posts, read 3,000,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
The lesbian population of Venice is at least as large as that of WeHo. OTOH, the gay male population is far smaller (particularly in SM ; Venice has always had some gays but they've never dominated to the extent that they have in WeHo or Silver Lake.)
I don't hang out in Venice either. At least, not after hours. heh

But you know what I am saying- you cast your line where you think you will catch fish; not a boot. OTOH, if you're fishing for boots...

Old 09-14-2007, 06:25 PM

1,287 posts, read 5,026,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackSparrow View Post

just sayin
I think the idea that WeHo is strictly gay or even majority gay is an assumption that's not rooted in factual data. Obviously there is a large gay population in WeHo, and a lot of businesses there do cater to a gay clientele. But there is an equal amount or even more businesses that are not gay specific. Also, the "boys" tend to hang out on Santa Monica Blvd. whereas straight people tend to party on the Sunset Strip. That's been the case for as long as I can remember and remains so even to this day.

Old 09-14-2007, 07:13 PM

274 posts, read 320,572 times
Trust me, there are equal or more straight people in West Hollywood than there are gays. The only reason people think West Hollywood is only gay is because they have a large presence there, and people are too stupid to think rather than to quickly generalize.

Old 09-15-2007, 01:25 AM

10 posts, read 349,408 times
Woodland hills? Lol Well, besides the mall, there really isn't much in the way of finding a date.

I am a good-looking and athletic guy living here in Woodland Hills, and I find it extremely hard finding anybody to date. Then again I am only 18.

Old 09-22-2007, 01:44 PM

84 posts, read 556,302 times
Just throwing this out there because I'm really interested in moving to the LA area and I know there is opportunity for me out there since I will be getting a degree in Marketing and plan on getting in Marketing/Advertising. How much do studio apartments usually run at in these areas? I realize it's probably pretty pricey and I am really not sure what kind of salary I'd be able to land, but my rough guess is 30k-40k. That's really low-end in LA, but is it doable?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles