Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2012, 05:36 PM

1 posts, read 4,404 times

Advertisements

To "A. PERSON" I would really consider using a different term to describe immigrant people. "Illegals" is really extremely condescending and wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2012, 09:33 AM

28 posts, read 73,721 times
Help -- I'm looking for areas that are: ethnically diverse, gay-friendly but not West Hollywood, walkable, bohemian, quick access to hipster scene, "on-the-rise", still affordable for young creatives, lots of renters/co-ops or condo-owners, creative scene, artists/galleries, quick access to nightlife/entertainment/music venues, walkable access to daily amenities (groceries[Trader Joe's or Whole Foods]/bank/post office/library), urban-ness (I don't want to be in too suburban of a setting right now in my life), not too many little kids/families, liberal-to-moderate, a big great park or area to go running. I'm NOT so concerned with "safety," so I could possibly live in areas that are "dodgy," "sketchy," working class -- kid-safe/family friendly areas are NOT my priority. Places where you could have a car, but you are not utterly dependent on it for your day-to-day business in the area, also being close to a Metro rail doesn't hurt (but not required).

Background: I'm a South Bay native (Hawthorne/Gardena/Carson), but need a refresher on the new spots/areas in L.A., as I've spent most of my post-college life in Brooklyn (DUMBO/Ft. Greene/Bklyn Heights/Cobble Hill) for several years and in Berlin, Germany. The areas I lived in in these cities were heavily creative/gentrified/"new urban" and had a certain quality of life like what I listed above. I also lived in apartments/condos/townhouses in all of these cities. I'm not seeking home-ownership at the moment, so areas with rentals/apts/condos/new development are also cool.

Could people name some neighborhoods/locations in Los Angeles that would make a Top 10 given this criteria?

Last edited by stcml; 03-16-2012 at 10:29 AM..

Old 03-16-2012, 03:29 PM

1,631 posts, read 2,407,604 times
@stcml - I think the area you are looking for is the SilverLake area. I guess you can also look into nearby areas of East Hollywood and Echo Park. Otherwise the other area you are looking for is Eagle Rock/Highland Park in NortheastLA for some of your criteria.

Old 03-16-2012, 04:01 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,945,271 times
East Hollywood all the way. Around the LA City College, Melrose Hill, Virgil Village - Very up and coming, still pretty ragged around the edges but very walkable and convenient to the Red Line at Santa Monica and Vermont. Also a very short bus ride to Silver Lake or Echo Park.

Other than that, Central Hollywood (where I live) has all of that but is less 'up and coming', is more gentrified but is still pretty rough by many standards.

Downtown LA has lots of neighborhoods too but I'm not as familiar with them.

Old 04-03-2013, 11:19 AM

12 posts, read 17,476 times
Where would be the best place to live for a young professional looking for semi-affordable rent, short distance to nightlife and a reasonable drive to beaches?

Old 04-03-2013, 11:44 AM

113 posts, read 197,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyeam View Post
Where would be the best place to live for a young professional looking for semi-affordable rent, short distance to nightlife and a reasonable drive to beaches?
I would suggest Culver City, Mar Vista, Palms, or perhaps Sherman Oaks (although this may be a bit far from the beach depending on traffic).

Old 04-03-2013, 03:11 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,133,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 562ManGreddy View Post
To "A. PERSON" I would really consider using a different term to describe immigrant people. "Illegals" is really extremely condescending and wrong.
Agreed, but the FedGov terminology remains at this point "illegal immigrant."

Old 04-03-2013, 04:15 PM

23,862 posts, read 24,428,915 times
My favorites:

1/ Pasadena
2/ Redondo or Manhattan Beach
3/ La Crescenta or La Canada

Old 04-04-2013, 12:57 AM

5,872 posts, read 15,312,190 times
My favorite places I would live in:

Hancock Park/Windsor Square
Larchmont
DT Los Angeles
Los Feliz
Hollywood
West Adams
Miracle Mile
Koreatown
Wilshire Park
Echo Park/Angelino Heights
Liemert Park

Old 07-06-2013, 05:44 PM

2 posts, read 5,167 times
Default Possible relocation for working actor and family

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShariP View Post
I love Long Beach but not every part of the city would meet your criteria--it's a BIG city. Belmont Heights is fantastic but a little pricey because it's so close to the beach. For the most affordable housing stock plus meeting all your criteria, I would focus on zip codes 90808 and 90815.
I am considering traveling first and possibly relocating to an area near LA that would work out for a family with two elementary school age children, and myself being a working actor. Are there any resources you would recommend?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles