Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2011, 01:19 PM

8 posts, read 13,137 times

Advertisements

I'm thinking of relocating to LA from Sacramento, CA and in looking for apartments found some very decent prices in KoreaTown.. What kind of area is it to live in? Is it nice? How are the surroundings? Seems like a very decent location..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2011, 01:52 PM

611 posts, read 1,601,658 times
Koreatown is hard to pinpoint. In terms of location, it's VERY central. It's close to downtown, hollywood, miracle mile, etc. I wouldn't call it a "nice area" yet, but it is going through gentrification. It's also one of the most dense areas in all of los angeles and public transportation & walkability is good for an LA neighborhood.

What areas of koreatown are you looking at? Like I said, koreatown is hard to pinpoint because you can see a brand new immaculate Apt building situated right next to a rundown bungalow. The nicer buildings are very much mixed in with the not so great ones. It's just all there together on one street to the next. (Some grit + Nice buildings together)

With that said, I wouldn't hesitate to live in certain areas of koreatown. The location is great, you have lots of amenities, and all those awesome Korean restaurants/bars is a plus if you're into that.

Old 10-28-2011, 03:49 PM

313 posts, read 778,981 times
Is parking hard? Thats my big concern.

Old 10-28-2011, 04:12 PM

672 posts, read 2,176,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DelaneyRudd View Post
Is parking hard? Thats my big concern.
It certainly can be, depending on the block. Newer apartment buildings will probably come with one dedicated parking space. Make sure to ask, and make sure to visit the neighborhood in the evening when everyone is home from work.

Also, if you look at the street view on google maps or whatever, you can check to see how packed the cars parked on the street are.

Old 10-28-2011, 04:16 PM

331 posts, read 735,448 times
I don't live there, but street parking is not too difficult to find if you're willing to park a block away from 6th or Wilshire.

Old 10-28-2011, 05:15 PM

1,963 posts, read 5,625,566 times
I've heard from friends who've moved K-town apartments that the area has been going downhill in the past couple yrs and much more petty crime nowadays. I'm surprised because it went thru a big gentrification phase in the 00's.

Old 10-28-2011, 06:07 PM

8 posts, read 13,137 times
well really what im looking for is a one bedroom apartment thats in a decent "non ghetto area" in koreatown or somewhere near downtown la under 1200 a month to get my point clear. i like the idea of a very central location too.

Old 10-28-2011, 07:06 PM

5,003 posts, read 5,989,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeBodyUK View Post
I don't live there, but street parking is not too difficult to find if you're willing to park a block away from 6th or Wilshire.
I know people that moved there and parking was their number one complaint. They said that they were lucky when they found parking within a block.

Old 10-28-2011, 07:07 PM

5,003 posts, read 5,989,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokingGun View Post
I've heard from friends who've moved K-town apartments that the area has been going downhill in the past couple yrs and much more petty crime nowadays. I'm surprised because it went thru a big gentrification phase in the 00's.
Every area has their ups and downs, but Koreatown has much less crime than it did in the 90's. It's not gentrified though. Gentrifying, but crime is still a significant problem.

Old 10-28-2011, 07:09 PM

1,162 posts, read 3,237,534 times
Depending on where in K-town, you can catch the subway to downtown (Wilshire/Western). K-town is a pretty big area, actually, covering lots of different housing stock.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles