Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2011, 11:01 AM

271 posts, read 301,659 times

Advertisements

Parking could be a huge problem in Koreatown. Like a previous poster stated, K-town is one of the most densely populated areas in the entire country. Traffic is brutal, but there is good public transportation. Also, there are Korean call taxis that will take you anywhere in K town for a good price, and they are VERY quick to respond.

Be prepared to valet your car frequently in Ktown. Many shopping centers have very few spaces available and will valet your car a few blocks down. This is more common in shopping centers with bars/karaoke/restaurants.

Overall, K-town is unbelievable. I heard at one point it has the most drinking establishments per capita than anywhere in the continental U.S. Also, the 2nd and 3rd (or 4th, varying reports) largest clubs are located in K-town. There are so many bars and things to do, but if you're not Korean, you could feel a bit out of place.

The location is great. Literally DTLA, westside, MM, etc. are right around you. There is a subway line, and buses everywhere. It's right off the 10.

As far as renting a place there, there are varying options. Some are excellent buildings that are very safe and secure, while some are a little sketchy. Overall, if you're careful and pay attention to your surroundings, you should be fine. Don't rule it out until you've checked out the properties.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2011, 04:57 PM

3,550 posts, read 6,488,242 times
I have friends in K-town and sometimes I hang out there. It's okay enough in the daytime but at night, let's just say it might be helpful if you could run fast

Old 10-31-2011, 05:07 PM

573 posts, read 1,360,524 times
its realy nice and dense

Moderator cut: removed photo

Last edited by Count David; 11-01-2011 at 04:37 PM.. Reason: possible copyright violation

Old 11-02-2011, 11:39 PM

329 posts, read 627,689 times
K-town is a hit or miss. Better hope your neighbors are quiet. If you go to where lots of Hispanic are then every weekend you'll be annoyed by loud music and parties. I lived in various parts of k-town and there are many new condos popping up replacing some of the run down apartments but for the price I wouldn't live there. Street parking can be a nightmare if you come after rush hour. Having said that k- town is a great place to hang out. I personally ran a Korean restaurant that ran 24 hours and definitely it has perks if you are young. Now I'm in Downey. Much more relaxed...

Old 11-03-2011, 09:42 AM

600 posts, read 1,608,958 times
I used to live in Koreatown, Catalina and 5th. The location is definitely very convenient. Pretty much everything is within a 5 mile drive. I worked downtown and it was a 3 mile drive. Do not stay at my apartment building though (catalina tropics), I had a horrible experience with them, they will rip you off!). I am not sure you'll be able to find a nice 1 bedroom under 1200. I was paying 950 for a studio and that was the best deal I could find. Parking was included (assigned spot) but most places charged 50 bucks a month. Overall I would only recommend the area if you work downtown.

Old 11-03-2011, 10:56 AM

208 posts, read 603,846 times
I would echo others' sentiments and say that K-town is very checkerboard, in that the quality of apartments, safety, etc. vary in blocks, so make sure to do your research down to the specific blocks before you rent!

An ex-bf of mine lived in K-town for years. His first apartment was near 9th & Normandie and his neighborhood was totally sketchy - his neighbor across the hall was dealing drugs out of the apartment, and the management did nothing. At night, you often heard helicopters hovering above and shining lights on the area...possibly due to criminal activity. On the night before he moved out of the building, there was a fatal shooting right on the doorsteps of the building! My ex then moved to near 5th & Oxford, and the area was MUCH better - no crimes that he could detect, at least.

When I visited him, the parking was a nightmare in both places. Street-only parking for guests, and I had to plan my visits strategically to get parking spaces, e.g. Saturday afternoons when people went shopping or Sunday mornings when people went to church.

Despite all that, my ex stayed in K-town because the price was certainly affordable, at around $1000/month, and because he didn't have to drive far at all to anything he could have wanted. But if he could afford something in a nicer area, I think he would have moved long before that.

Old 11-03-2011, 12:59 PM

928 posts, read 1,712,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetheart1311 View Post
I used to live in Koreatown, Catalina and 5th.
We were neighbors.

Others here are correct when they say it's hit-or-miss. Some buildings and areas are nice, and others are shady-looking. Korea Town is safe, though, even in the seedier looking parts. It is centrally located, there are a decent amount of bars, a lot of 24-hour restaurants, though a lot places cater to the Korean crowd, which is to be expected, but note that it is so much so at some placed that there won't even be signs in English. It's no big deal, though -- I used to eat at the restaurant around the corner from me all the time with no English signs or menus, and I speak zero Korean. Language barriers be damned, the food was good, and the place never closed.

K-Town has been seeing some gentrification because it's in a great location and is affordable as far as LA goes. It's getting pricier, but remains one of few places left in the city proper where you can find a place in a safe neighborhood, be walking distance to two different L stations, and be close to a lot of the city's major attractions for $1,000/mo. I recommend it if you're not one of those people who thinks anything on the Westside may as well not exist.

Oh, and parking there is a beast.

Big time. If you have parking available in your building, spring for it. It'll be well worth it.

Old 11-03-2011, 05:38 PM

3,550 posts, read 6,488,242 times
it's not all korean food, when I hang out in K-town we always eat at the Carl's Jr. on Virgil and 6th

Old 11-03-2011, 05:53 PM

1,162 posts, read 3,235,799 times
And don't forget Cassells. Best steak fries in town. Near 6th and New Hampshire. I really like the place at the Radisson as well (can't remember the name- they have a great salad bar and pasta gig). It's at Normandie near Wilshire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamota View Post
it's not all korean food, when I hang out in K-town we always eat at the Carl's Jr. on Virgil and 6th

Old 11-03-2011, 06:38 PM

20 posts, read 124,808 times
I had an annoying (white) graphic design instructor who lived in "K-Town" a couple of years ago. Maybe things have changed for the better. Two years ago, every class she would tell us an anecdote about living there. Usually about how "badass" she was to deal with the crime. Once she bragged of how she and her friends were pulled off the street at gun point while criminals pointed guns at them. She acted like it was a badge of honor.

Little Miss Suburbia living out her urban fantasy.

Whatever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles