Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2010, 12:29 PM

85 posts, read 177,429 times

Advertisements

My wife and I have been finding many, many affordable apartments in nice old-style buildings in Koreatown for cheap. Is there a downside? What areas should we avoid?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2010, 01:10 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,197,011 times
parking sucks if you don't get offstreet parking with your unit. crime is still an issue in much of the area as well. south of wilshire definitely seems more sketchy to me than north of wilshire and the far north area close to beverly blvd is also pretty sketchy. great food options though and easy access to the subway.

Old 05-04-2010, 01:54 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,736,582 times
I agree with BRinSM's obvservations.

If you want A/C make sure to ask about it when considering renting in one of those old buildings; we rented in one of the old 1920s Hollywood buildings, and we didn't have air conditioning and weren't allowed to put a window unit in. We thought it was worth it, overall, as we loved the building, but if you have low heat tolerance it's something to ask about. I don't know if it's typical or not; they told us it was for historic/aesthetic reasons. (on the plus side, I think many of those buildings include most utilities, including heat.)

Old 05-05-2010, 10:50 AM

736 posts, read 2,295,688 times
I'd be interested to see some neighborhood crime stats on Koreatown because overall I feel like the area is pretty safe. Agree staying north of Wilshire (or even Olympic) is best.

Does anyone have a good link to LAPD crime stats that would compare K-Town to surrounding areas?

Also, agree that there are many "dives" in koreatown....that is older buidlings with few amenities = cheaper rent. That said, some of the older buildings are VERY well kept up....so you really have to investigate each potential one.

Old 05-05-2010, 05:59 PM

168 posts, read 549,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Island_OnThe_Land View Post
I'd be interested to see some neighborhood crime stats on Koreatown because overall I feel like the area is pretty safe. Agree staying north of Wilshire (or even Olympic) is best.

Does anyone have a good link to LAPD crime stats that would compare K-Town to surrounding areas?

Also, agree that there are many "dives" in koreatown....that is older buidlings with few amenities = cheaper rent. That said, some of the older buildings are VERY well kept up....so you really have to investigate each potential one.
Here is the map you want to look at. Just drag it to your neighborhood for stats
LAPD Crime Maps

Old 05-07-2010, 05:10 AM

197 posts, read 549,324 times
What are the rents like in this area/ How far is this from West Hollywood? Would you consider this a up and coming gentrified area?

Old 05-07-2010, 06:15 PM

168 posts, read 549,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAS36BH View Post
What are the rents like in this area/ How far is this from West Hollywood? Would you consider this a up and coming gentrified area?
Rent is Korea town varies. You can get a studio apartment for $1200/month approximately. I think the rent is pretty reasonable for LA area cause many of my friends are few years out of college and they can afford the area.

The area is about 6 miles from West Hollywood. There are nice part and dumpy parts just like anywhere else in LA. I dont see it as an up coming area at least any time soon. It has gotten better over the years but I wouldn't want to live there. I go there a couple of times a month to visit and hang out with friends. Public transportation is there along with restaurants open 24 hours, mostly Korean restaurants and bars.

the street Western still has alot of homeless people and street walkers at night so I dont know if its got alot of cleaning up to do.

Old 05-08-2010, 03:37 AM

142 posts, read 442,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAS36BH View Post

Yes, I do think is is up and coming. There has been quite a bit of upscale housing built in K-Town over the past 10 years. If you google: The Mercury, Solair, or The Gardens on Wilshire you will see a few examples.

Many Koreans and Korean-Americans that fled to the suburbs are coming back to live in K-Town.

Also, in the early 2000's I went to grad school at USC with quite a few South Korean nationals that have made LA their home post-grad. I remember one striking comment that they often made about LA:

"The weather is great and you have so much SPACE here!" Basically, Seoul is a VERY DENSE city so Koreatown seems very spacious by contrast.

Old 05-08-2010, 04:15 AM

@Sunnyday70 Gardens at Wilshire - Luxury Apartments very nice, thank you.

Old 05-08-2010, 04:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24hr7 View Post
Rent is Korea town varies. You can get a studio apartment for $1200/month approximately.
I'M using CL as a guide to get and idea for rents in KT. From what I see listed in the past few days, you can get a 1-2 bed for $1,200 the studio's a below a $1,000

I may be better off buying then renting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles