Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2007, 07:36 PM

24,508 posts, read 33,303,120 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveCali View Post
I'm thinking only for the future, 'cause Jack said smthg about not being good to have 2 quakes so close to each other (in time and space).
It is extremely hard to predict.
There can be a mag. 6 quake there (4 miles N. of Chatsworth) tomorrow or there may not be a large quake there for the next 100 years.
One of the problems is that there are so many faults, both known and unknown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2007, 10:56 PM

160 posts, read 865,439 times
Yeah, you're right here. We'll get back to our lifes hoping for the best.

Old 08-19-2007, 08:41 PM

38,876 posts, read 22,860,812 times
I didn't even realize we had that quake up there in the Valley until I watched the news during my lunch later that same day. I'm near Long Beach and didn't feel it, so I must have really been dead tired!

Old 08-23-2007, 12:33 AM

30,902 posts, read 32,992,865 times
You know, I know this is an older post by now but it's only on Page 2 so I came across it, skimming...How come I didn't feel this? That is so weird. I usually feel every little shimmy.

Remember in 2005, I think it was August, when we had two decent-sized quakes in a row? The first one was my "first ever" (of quakes I could feel...I mean I know there are dozens of tiny ones a day or whatever). I was sitting at my computer and...the world just shifted to the right! Or, well, it banged into...itself. I was like, "WHAT the..." but it was so fast I had no time to think...so I reached over and shut off my computer...LOL. Yep...like that was going to help. I still don't know why that reaction.

Anyway, I heard my husband yell "Uh-oh!" from the back office. It only lasted like three seconds anyway. So I walked back and said, "Was that an earthquake?" and he (three-decades SoCal resident) said "Yes!" in this really scared voice and I said "THAT WAS AWESOME! Do you think we'll have another?"

He just gave me that look I'm used to by now...you know, that "Remind me again why I married you?" look.

But then we did have another one...the very next week...I was lying down with my son and I heard the dishes rattle...and the bed kinda moved. I called my husband at work to complain.

"I can't believe this is all earthquakes are," I said.

"What were you expecting?" I could hear him tapping distractedly on his keyboard as he worried about something real--you know, work.

"Well," I said, "first of all...they're too short."

"They're too...?"

"Yeah, I mean, you know, it's supposed to last something like 17 minutes. And a building catches fire and people fall all over the place and then OJ Simpson comes out of an elevator..."

"Wrong movie," my husband said.

"Don't interrupt. Anyway, is that as big as they get?"

"No," he said wearily. "I'm only sorry you weren't around here in 1994. Woulda brought a smile to your face."

"Oh, was that a good one?"

"Define 'good,'" he said. "I basically messed my pants and ran screaming out of my dorm at USC, is that 'good' enough?"

"It would have been," I answered, "if OJ Simpson had run out of an elevator at the same time."

This time I could actually hear the unspoken "Why did I marry you?" right through the phone line, isn't that amazing? Marital telepathy.

Anyway, I just thought some LA residents would get a kick out of the newbie not being afraid of quakes. (I'm sure if I had been here in 1994...I would be.)

Last edited by JerZ; 08-23-2007 at 12:43 AM.. Reason: grammar

Old 08-24-2007, 07:23 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,743,760 times
Good article from the Times on earthquakes in LA

Los Angeles Times: A quake lull, but how long? (http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-quake24aug24,0,1999583,print.story?coll=la-home-center - broken link)

To access this you may need a login and password. Go to

www.bugmenot.com and get an anonymous login and password.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles