Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2007, 02:56 AM

1 posts, read 2,130 times

Advertisements

yes, felt the jolt - a little scary for a moment there. I hope that's the end and not the beginning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2007, 03:00 AM

24,510 posts, read 33,309,299 times
Someone who experienced it and called a news radio station guessed it was around a 3. I've been through too many EQs to know it was more than that. I guessed 4.0-4.5.

Old 08-09-2007, 03:13 AM

642 posts, read 3,072,779 times
Great info Fleet. Thanks

James T--that is a bit freaky about the intensity and duration being similar.

By the way Chatsworth is being recorded now as a 5 so that makes sense other areas close by are similar. Now I am curious how far the Northridge earthquake was felt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
Modified Mercalli Scale:
Modified Mercalli Intensity (http://www.eas.slu.edu/Earthquake_Center/mercalli.html - broken link)

Old 08-09-2007, 03:16 AM

642 posts, read 3,072,779 times
Exactly! No way it was a 3 (maybe in their distant area), especially according to the link you provided that I am pasting below:

III. Felt quite noticeably indoors, especially on upper floors of buildings, but many people do not recognize it as an earthquake. Standing automobiles may rock slightly. Vibration like passing of truck. Duration estimated.
(III Rossi-Forel scale)

IV. During the day felt indoors by many, outdoors by few. At night some awakened [LIKE LALady ;-)--LOL]. Dishes, windows, doors disturbed; walls make creaking sound. Sensation like heavy truck striking building. Standing automobiles rocked noticeably.
(IV to V Rossi-Forel scale) 0.015g-0.02g

V. Felt by nearly everyone, many awakened. Some dishes, windows, and so on broken; cracked plaster in a few places; unstable objects overturned. Disturbances of trees, poles, and other tall objects sometimes noticed. Pendulum clocks may stop.
(V to VI Rossi-Forel scale)

Taken from: Modified Mercalli Intensity (http://www.eas.slu.edu/Earthquake_Center/mercalli.html - broken link) (except for minor comment in brackets []. :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
Someone who experienced it and called a news radio station guessed it was around a 3. I've been through too many EQs to know it was more than that. I guessed 4.0-4.5.

Old 08-09-2007, 03:29 AM

24,510 posts, read 33,309,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fairweathergolfer View Post
Great info Fleet. Thanks

James T--that is a bit freaky about the intensity and duration being similar.

By the way Chatsworth is being recorded now as a 5 so that makes sense other areas close by are similar. Now I am curious how far the Northridge earthquake was felt.
Well, I know that the '94 Northridge quake was felt in Las Vegas.
They just said on the radio that tonight's quake was felt as far east as Altadena which is about 35 miles east of Chatsworth.

Old 08-09-2007, 04:47 AM

31 posts, read 128,224 times
Default Sherman Oaks - Felt it.

Felt it in Sherman Oaks really good. I was out in my car when all of a sudden my car started jolting back and forth like someone was rocking it. Then the apartment in front of me started trembling and my car started bouncing slightly. It was weird, odd, and quick.

Old 08-09-2007, 05:44 AM

100 posts, read 544,121 times
Felt nothing, which is kinda weird since I felt the Yucaipa one a couple years ago quite well... no vibrations, no sound, no shaking, no nothing. I'm in Glendora by the way...

Old 08-09-2007, 06:57 AM

6,588 posts, read 17,549,639 times
Sgvkev, isn't Yucapia a LOT closer to Glendora than Chatsworth is? That might explain it...

I had trouble going back to sleep. And I'm an insomniac to begin with! *sigh*

Old 08-09-2007, 07:05 AM

2,071 posts, read 12,016,634 times
Didn't feel nothing in Long Beach; but I can sleep through EQ's and wake up to a drop of a pin

Old 08-09-2007, 07:06 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,309,354 times
I keep a watch on that earthquake site listed above by "SandyCo". It's on my "favorites" on my computer. Looks like there are more earthquakes then normal lately. And now this 4.5. Guess they say the more smaller earthquakes we have the better because it relieves the tension. Hope so!! Yucaipa is nearly twice as far away then Glendora.

Last edited by cynwldkat; 08-09-2007 at 07:55 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles