Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2011, 06:48 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,675,325 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank.O´Hara View Post
Thank you for your explanation, that seems pretty logical.

Anyways guys, don´t wanna start any serious disscusion but today I spent a lot of time by watching LA 1992 riots videos because someone of you were refering to it. I couldn´t believe that even the western area around Wilshire boulevard was on fire. Even Hollywood. I thought it was concentrated only in South Central. I gotta tell you that after what I saw I´m not that surprised that many people left. There were people shooting each other and total anarchy that I had to remind myself I´m watching vids of USA, not Somalia.
I wonder why were the looters burning the shops?! Just infront of the eyes of TV commentators.
When I saw the smoke above Los Angeles I realized that it was like 9/11 of the west.
In many ways it was comparable to 9/11. Far fewer people were killed but it marked a clear and very disturbing break in the continuity of the city's existence. In one way it was more disturbing as it was not the work of foreigners backed by a foreign government but the work of Americans. It essentially was a war by a certain portion of the black community (by no means the entire black community - in fact only a relatively small minority of the black community was involved in the riots) against everyone else. Hence the incursions north and west. Gates' LAPD deliberately did nothing to halt its spread, although other law enforcement agencies did - the Beverly Hills PD, Culver City PD, and Santa Monica PD kept rioting out of those westside cities, and the Sheriffs' Department to a certain extent was also able to clamp down on rioting. Although the Russian Mob may have also played a role in keeping it out of West Hollywood - that was the only thing that black gangbangers feared. (I heard some stories at the time from some "locals" about what would have happened if the rioters had dared to hit Santa Monica Boulevard - they were rioting in the LAPD areas nearby. I lived in WeHo at the time, so I remember. If there had been reprisals of the sort the "locals" were talking about, the payback would've made the Korean self-defense look wimpy by comparison. ) The black vs. Latino gang wars were a direct product of the riots - prior to 1992 there were very few (the only major one being a long running feud in the Oakwood section of Venice that happened when the Shoreline Crips were started in the heart of V13's territory*, and also one in the Mar Vista Gardens projects in the Del Rey neighborhood of the Westside that resulted in the Shoreline Crips being driven out of the projects by Culver City 13, aka "Culver City Boys" or "CExCE"). In the Eastside, Northeast L.A., and Echo Park, the local cholos helped keep the peace by standing on top of buildings with firearms. OTOH, Mara Salvatrucha was directly involved in looting, burning, and extreme violence in their areas UNLIKE Mexican or Mexican-American gangs. The long established Chicano barrios largely protected their neighborhoods whereas the Central Americans got very violent.

Although Hollywood, East Hollywood, and Koreatown were badly hit by the riots, Los Feliz and Silver Lake escaped virtually unscathed, which had a great deal to do with the rise of those neighborhoods in the subsequent years. Venice was the only part of the far westside that was affected by the riots (due to the presence of Crips in Oakwood). In West LA and Mar Vista one would've never known they were taking place except for the curfew. While LAPD areas surrounding Culver City saw rioting, Culver City itself was spared thanks to the CCPD. Santa Monica was just business as usual, I don't even know if there was a curfew there. The Valley was barely affected by the riots, yet there was more white flight from the Valley than from white areas which actually saw rioting like the Miracle Mile, South Robertson, and Fairfax. Hancock Park property values and rents plummeted but I don't know how much white flight there was out of there. White flight from the Hollywood flats had been ongoing before the riots, and the aftermath of the riots and earthquake made central Hollywood hit bottom. While some of those people left L.A. many moved to nearby neighborhoods like Silver Lake and Echo Park or took advantage of cheaper rents in Hancock Park and Larchmont, also nearby. The '94 earthquake would hit Hollywood and East Hollywood badly further worsening things. In the mid 90s the Boulevard had become solely the domain of the homeless. Ironically, it took hitting bottom for Hollywood to finally get cleaned up and for gentrification to establish itself. The same was true for downtown.

*The racial and gang oriented turbulence in 1970s/80s Venice was why my family moved out of the Venice High area before I could go there ; the events depicted in the film "American History X" were loosely inspired by events occurring in the late '70s and '80s.

Old 05-07-2011, 12:17 AM

767 posts, read 1,748,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgb123 View Post
To sum it up though, people don't want to deal with crime. Some white flight is based on fear. Other white flight I believe is based on the fact that too often low-income families bring with them thier thug children who have not sufficiently learned how to operate in a civilized enviornment. This is not race specific, you will find plenty of low income whites who fit this description and there are plenty of cities (such as Spokane) where I live, where the bad sides of town are still primarily white people. I believe the term is "white trash" though I hate that term.
This ^.

Who wants their kids to go to school with the loser thug kids? Who thinks the loser thug kids are a good influence? What will your child be like after growing up with the loser thug kids?

White people know the answer to those questions .

Old 05-07-2011, 12:43 AM

17,440 posts, read 28,675,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjnative View Post
This ^.

Who wants their kids to go to school with the loser thug kids? Who thinks the loser thug kids are a good influence? What will your child be like after growing up with the loser thug kids?

White people know the answer to those questions .
Not an exclusively white phenomenon as I and others have pointed out in this thread.

While L.A. at present no longer has white ghettos, another poster no longer on C-D claimed that if not for the massive waves of mostly illegal immigration from Latin America in the last 30 years L.A. would have developed more white ghettos full of "loser thug kids" like many of the eastern and midwestern cities, and even a few western cities (besides Spokane, pre-gentrification Southeast Portland comes to mind - ironically many of the gentrifiers of SE Portland who are pushing out the PWT are from L.A.)

Old 05-07-2011, 03:22 AM

48 posts, read 141,798 times
Wow Majoun thanks for your informative answer! And yes, it was maybe even worse than 9/11 because it was done by americans. But there were also positive aspects like that black man who rescued the truck driver.
However, I´ll never understnad the "gang culture" though and I hope this all will end one day. If everybody knows their names and where they hang up - why is it so difficult to just arrest them? These people don´t belong to civilized world. It seems every hole in LA has at least one gang, lol. I´m worried about their souls because god don´t like these things.

Old 05-07-2011, 07:35 AM

6,664 posts, read 30,671,265 times
OK. I am going to wing this and not even read past the first page.

I recently responded to a thread on firearms in the hobby thread that seemed to really spark a lot of crap because I mentioned that a few youths that tried to hold up my father in front of me and my grandmother were black. The 60's (and every decade previously) were a very ugly time in American history. In LA county there was a lot of crime that blacks were a part of. Sorry, sad (be aware that this was only such a very small amount of blacks involved). I was a child and was huddled in the house by my mother when many blacks were rioting in the streets outside. I blame the media for much of the fear mogering. The government as well was very deeply involved in working the media against the public.

I was born in San Diego 1959. Raised in Lakewood, often nicknamed lily white Lakewood.
My neighbors to the south were Hispanic, we were close and involved in their family. At Xmas time we were invited and even found the odd tamale a few times. May have to be Mexican to even know about the odd tamale.
My neighbors to the north were Korean. The parents owned and operated the Orange Julius restaurant down the street. Raised one son and three daughters there and paid their way thru universities each one. I was one of the pallbearers at their father’s funeral. The son Mitch and I talked about bear hunting as his father believed in increased health from bear blood.

My current home I have a Hispanic born neighbor. He said he is not Mexican as he was not raised there. I call him friend and Richard. Of the immediate 100 neighbors I would place at 28% Caucasian, 28% black and 28% Hispanic. We have gay and lesbian neighbors. To place any blame on problems I would point toward some white idiots.
My self – Cherokee/Irish, my wife Blackfoot/German. We get along, lol.

Quote:
1) are Hispanic people in the USA really that bad or is it just the ignorance of whites?
99% of Hispanics are as loving and as friendly as yourself. Not really knowing where you even base this statement. Yes there are some cultural differences but not many. My parents picked cotton along side many Hispanic pickers.

Quote:
2) If I didn't´t care about the demographics and moved to a minority majority neighbourhood (like Whittier for example) - would this be OK for me? No hate just because I´m white?
Really? Why not canvas the neighborhood and ask them? People are people, they will let you know if you do not belong. Hate to remind you but you really already know.
The most common advice to new home buyers is to seek the advice of a lawyer(do it). Even cheaper is to knock on a door and say “Hi, I am thinking about buying that house”.

Quote:
3) Are really so many whites leaving SoCA to Oregon, Arizona, Nevada...etc? If yes, I think California might become more Mexico than USA and that wouldn´t be cool in my opinion.
See, you ruined that by saying “I think California might become more Mexico than USA and that wouldn´t be cool in my opinion”. CA is and will always be Mexican influenced.

Old 05-07-2011, 07:39 AM

6,664 posts, read 30,671,265 times
Quote:
,, I´m worried about their souls because god don´t like these things.
Be honest. You are only worried about your own soul.

Old 05-07-2011, 08:33 AM

48 posts, read 141,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferretkona View Post
Be honest. You are only worried about your own soul.
Thank you eventhough you don´t have to act like that. My country is like 95% white and only people of other races I met were 2 asians, 1 girl from Chile and a few gypsies. That´s why my questions sound so stupid. I just don´t have any experiences so I wanted to hear it from you. On the american south, whites are moving away from blacks because some of them really are violent. SOME, not all. But my black internet friend told me whole lot of things about his unprogressive black neighours, who according to him "run the streets pretty often." So, when I discovered that whites are runnig even from hispanics, I got a bit confused. That´s all. If I lived in LA or in any other multicultural society I wouldn´t ask like that. Hope you understand me now.

I´m not worried about my soul cuz I didn´t kill anybody. They obviously did or are able to.

And I said that California being more Mexico than US ain´t cool because I really think it´s not! One thing is mexican influence that is really interesting (architecture, food) but another thing is mexican majority. It was such a hard work for me to learn english and now I see I´m supposed to learn spanish, hm.

Last edited by Frank.O´Hara; 05-07-2011 at 08:44 AM..

Old 05-07-2011, 12:06 PM

276 posts, read 1,020,513 times
"CA is and will always be Mexican influenced."

Absolutely correct!

Please folks! Read/learn the history of Los Angeles/California!

Old 05-07-2011, 06:52 PM

77,771 posts, read 105,072,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LizzyNola View Post
"CA is and will always be Mexican influenced."

Absolutely correct!

Please folks! Read/learn the history of Los Angeles/California!
I thought the OP asked about why whites move when other races move in, not whether Ca would always have a Mexican influence. I guess I missed something.

Nita

Old 05-07-2011, 07:56 PM

121 posts, read 283,281 times
Quote:
My country is like 95% white and only people of other races I met were 2 asians, 1 girl from Chile and a few gypsies. That´s why my questions sound so stupid.

And what country are you from??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles