Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2011, 07:59 AM

10,624 posts, read 26,754,589 times

Advertisements

I agree that South Pasadena is a WONDERFUL place for families; we loved it there. On the other hand, many of the places you've listed are far more suburban in character, so if that's your preference then you may not like South Pasadena. It's more historic small town in feel. Even at rush hour he'll be able to get downtown in less than an hour driving, probably more like 45 minutes. But, as noted, with those hours it could even be less than that.

Burbank was mentioned earlier; that's also very family-friendly and overall more affordable options than South Pasadena (although you should be able to find a small house in South Pasadena to rent on that budget; if one is available, that is.) Some of the other closer-in suggestions are also good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2011, 05:38 PM

268 posts, read 890,666 times
I'm sorry...did you say Fullerton?!

I'd recommend Pasadena. I lived there for about 6 years and it's a great place for all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by capoeira View Post
Fullerton! Fullerton is a much better choice than Santa Clarita Valley or Valencia.

1)Closer to downtown Los Angeles
2)direct train to downtown
3)network of many alternate surface streets to drive to downtown if the freeways are hopelessly jammed.
4)cooler than Valencia in summer
5)closer to many kid friendly fun attractions like Disneyland,Knotts Berry Farm and the beaches.

Old 01-14-2011, 07:24 PM

4,538 posts, read 10,637,640 times
I just saw a legit ad for a 3 bd 2nd house in la crescenta for $2100/mo.

Great schools, very safe, 30 min rush hour commute to downtown.

Old 01-15-2011, 08:02 AM

32 posts, read 87,683 times
I also think you should look at the San Gabriel Valley area. South Pasadena has good schools, Arcadia schools are also good. We live in Pasadena but do not send our kids to public schools - PUSD is terrible. However, there are a LOT of private school options in the Pasadena/San Gabriel Valley area. Burbank is also a good option.

The commute to downtown is easy from here. Much better than Valencia or Fullerton. Quality of life is important and if your husband is spending hours on the freeways, it's not a good thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles