Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2010, 02:28 PM

3,322 posts, read 8,018,576 times

Advertisements

You want him to commute from Villa Park or even further Yorba Linda to downtown LA? That sounds like a 90 minute commute and I'm including using metro. No way you want to live in OC and work in LA. You guys are crazy to even suggest that. If the metro isn't close to his work which is probably the case since its not for most people, that commute is god awful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2010, 02:54 PM

8,259 posts, read 16,884,102 times
Anahiem Hills are definately nicer than Anaheim with regards to schools. Take a look at this map and zoom into the areas in question - California School Performance Maps. I agree that API scores aren't the be all, end all. But they are one metric you can look at as a starting point. Generally speaking there is a correlation. This map also helps to see trouble areas to avoid, or at least those which warrant further investigation.

With regards to housing here is one example of something which may work for you within your budget - PRISTINE 3BR/3BA CONDO W/ ATTACHED 2-CAR GARAGE (http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/apa/2083825720.html - broken link). Note the schools it is near.

Derek

Last edited by MtnSurfer; 11-28-2010 at 03:05 PM..

Old 11-28-2010, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub D View Post
You want him to commute from Villa Park or even further Yorba Linda to downtown LA? That sounds like a 90 minute commute and I'm including using metro. No way you want to live in OC and work in LA. You guys are crazy to even suggest that. If the metro isn't close to his work which is probably the case since its not for most people, that commute is god awful.
No one is pretending that the commute will be ideal or easy. It sucks, it's LA. But people do it. They take the metro, use van pools, etc... every day. Everyone has different requirements/preferences and certain sacrifices are made to achieve them. They are already living in LA and it's not working for them. So what is it that you suggest? Stay where they are or? Keep in mind good schools and relative affordability are requirements.

With regards to staying somewhat closer and choosing a nicer area for families I also highly recommend looking for something in the Torrance area. Take a look at this home as an example - http://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst/apa/2080890779.html (broken link).
One more - http://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst/apa/2073344773.html (broken link)
Torrance is still Southern LA County, but has it's own school district which is great. Basically your husband would take the 110 right into downtown. And on top of that you get to live near the coast with the best weather in SoCal.

Derek

Last edited by MtnSurfer; 11-28-2010 at 03:39 PM..

Old 11-28-2010, 09:09 PM

3,322 posts, read 8,018,576 times
Suggesting a 2 hour commute each way is not desirable in any way. Might as well just suggest Corona because it has a stop on the metrolink and housing is far less. Much of Corona has good school districts.

This is the first thread I've ever read on here with people suggest an insane commute time. Vanpool, carpool, whatever, no way that commute is under 90 minutes each way and I'm being generous. Each and every freeway you can take to get from Yorba Linda to LA is horrid. One would HAVE to be on drugs to accept that commute every day.

I suggest Glendora since its still in LA county. Charter Oak district is one of the best in that area. Commute will be around 75 minutes and its ALOT closer to LA than all of the OC cities listed. Glendora is a nice city especially closer to the mountains and closer to the San Dimas side instead of the Covina side.

Old 11-28-2010, 10:36 PM

Well,

Maybe 90 minutes will be something that they need to accept considering their families circumstances, requirements and budget. At least in a vanpool or metrolink the person is not doing the driving - they can sit and read, etc... I know that I personally wouldn't want to do it because I hate driving in LA traffic. But then again I wouldn't take a job in downtown for that very reason. However if working there was my only option you can bet I'd be exploring every metrolink, vanpool, etc... option available to get out of that vacinity - at least a 15+ mile radius.

Glendora is 27 miles from downtown. Google estimates 1 hour 20 minutes in traffic. Torrance is 29 miles - 50 minutes Google estimate in traffic. Both probably have some vanpool options.

Normally I tend to agree with you because I am from LA. I've done all those nasty commutes and learned early on that working in the belly of the beast is not disireable. But sometimes you have to do what you have to do to make ends meet.

Regarding commuting from OC, it really depends what metro, vanpools are available as well as his company (it's size) and it's location off of Wilshire.

Derek

Old 11-29-2010, 12:23 AM

Another option I just remembered in terms of decent schools and more of a family area is the La Canada/La Crecenta area. It's right along the foothills of the Angeles Crest Mtns and probably the closest I'd want to live to downtown. Just something else to consider and research.

Old 11-29-2010, 06:56 AM

9,725 posts, read 15,242,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
Another option I just remembered in terms of decent schools and more of a family area is the La Canada/La Crecenta area. It's right along the foothills of the Angeles Crest Mtns and probably the closest I'd want to live to downtown. Just something else to consider and research.
La Canada is a lot more expensive.

Old 11-29-2010, 09:14 AM

46 posts, read 83,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post

That's right up the road from where we are living now and it is way more expensive.

Old 11-29-2010, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by purple73 View Post
That's right up the road from where we are living now and it is way more expensive.
Yeah, I just looked at Craigslist and there was nothing for rent there especially near your budget.

Take a look at some of the other areas already mentioned and watch for deals. Torrance is a big family town with a lot of homes and good schools. I am not as familiar with Glendora. But it may be worth checking out as well. I agree that OC would only be an option *if* someone else is doing the driving - vanpool, metrolink, etc...

Derek

Old 12-01-2010, 05:39 AM

184 posts, read 799,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purple73 View Post
So my husband transfered jobs for the Eastbay area of NoCal and is now working in LA, off of Wilshire Blvd. We thought we had done enough research and that it was going to be a good move for our family. (2+4). Originally we were wanting to live in or around Santa Monica, but found that we couldn't afford a place big enough. So we looked out further east of LA and are now living in Glendale. We figured we would do the apartment thing because Glendale had really good schools,wasn't that far from the beach, and it was affordable for us. Well wouldn't ya know after being here for 3 1/2, not only can we not afford it, but I hate it. The school that my children attend has an API score of 921. I dread everday that I have to send the kids there. All your kids are to them is a dollar sign and a test score. We didn't have the time to come and check out the area before we came, but from everything we read it was supposed to be a great family community. It's not exactly what we/I had in mind! So now we're looking for somewhere else. FIrst and formost we need to be able to afford it, needs to have good schools and I'm not talking about just API scores. (I've learned that alone doesn't make a good school) And in a decent area. I honestly can't do the apartment thing again so we would need to find a 3 BR single family or maybe a townhouse. Rent couldn't be anymore than $2k a month. And I'd really like to be somewhere that has actual neighborhoods with houses, and not multifamily complexes on that take up every block. Lastly but a serious issue is my husband commuting to work. We are very aware of the traffic issues here, so if there was somewhere along the metrolink route that wasn't a horrible commute, that would be great. If anyone has any good advice, I'm open to hearing it.
I used to live in downtown Wilshire, our father bought us here in 1965 from Ohio. It wasn't so bad then. But they move to Virginia after us four kids got out if school.
I and my husband currently live in Sacramento, and are looking to move to Roanoke, Virginia. You might want to look into the area there.
I was in your same shoes when we came to Sacramento, could hardly wait to leave.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles