Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2010, 12:50 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,623,912 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBarrenLands View Post
I personally don't care for LA's West side. It is sadly full of many of the stereotypes that outsiders have about LA: the rich, bleached blonde types driving around in their Ferraris, drinking wheatgrass on their way to yoga class. Too many high-end boutiques and snotty folk over there, with the exception of Santa Monica. I personally like the South Bay area of Los Angeles the best (Redondo, Hermosa, and Manhattan Beaches, Torrance, Gardena, Palos Verdes).
And there are no high end boutiques and snotty folks in Santa Monica Or for that matter in Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach, Redondo Beach, or Palos Verdes

Doubt there'd be too many in Torrance except perhaps in the part of South Torrance right next to PV and Redondo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2010, 02:07 PM

5,648 posts, read 8,062,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
The good schools on the westside are in Santa Monica, Beverly Hills, and Culver City. BH and CC all have considerably fewer families with kids than they used to. As does WLA (I read that only 2% of the population in the 90025 and 90064 zip codes consists of families with kids and one of the two junior highs- now-middle schools I attended as a kid, Webster, now has VERY few kids from the neighborhood. Not sure about the current composition of Walgrove Elementary, which I attended back in the late '60s and '70s, or Mark Twain Middle School where I attended 7th grade)

The rest is LAUSD and thus has pretty damn lousy schools (although when I was growing up it was a different story).

I've seen what's happened to the westside over the years - it's not what it was. While I never lived north of Wilshire I did go to Uni High many years ago which Brentwood, Westwood, Bel Air, Holmby Hills, etc. are part of the area for and had friends growing up in those areas. Not that many kids from the neighborhood go to Uni these days and it no longer is the jewel of LAUSD as it was.

If any LAUSD area has more kids than the rest of westside areas outside SM, I'd think it wouldn't be Pacific Palisades but probably an area with more immigrants like Del Rey.

As for the best place to live in L.A. if money were no object: Los Feliz hands down (except for the schools issue but everywhere you mentioned as being "good parts of the westside" except for BH and SM has that same issue). But if you think CC is a "boring wasteland" you know little about CC - it's hardly the most exciting place around but has more to offer than you'd think....I'd like to see down to earth bars and restaurants try surviving in the Palisades. (OTOH, if a certain pub which is a hangout for the westside's white racist crowd moved to the Palisades from Culver City, they'd be perfectly welcome to it!' CC would gain by its absence)
Where is this racist white crowd prominent on the Westside apart from CC and SM?

Old 10-11-2010, 02:17 PM

5,648 posts, read 8,062,900 times
So it looks like the Westside of L.A. is becoming less family friendly and that's a good sign.

Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
You mean "sterile, boring, overpriced wasteland with no culture that I'd only live in for free"?

Not too many little kids on the westside these days outside of Santa Monica.

Well, the 405 is right in the middle of the westside, and many of the areas you mentioned are east of the 405.

True, and there are even a couple of British pubs in Hollywood if you really miss the westside - contrary to popular belief they're not all west of the 405, just most of them.

Old 10-11-2010, 03:04 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,623,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by West of Encino View Post
Where is this racist white crowd prominent on the Westside apart from CC and SM?
CC is the farthest thing from racist that you can get, it's very diverse and very comfortable in its diversity. It's actually a model of ethnic and racial tolerance in SoCal. Non-Latino whites, Latinos, Asians, blacks, Middle Easterners, etc. all live in harmony. In fact Southern Culver City/Fox Hills is mostly black and also happens to be the wealthiest part of Culver City.

One single pub right near the 405 on Washington (which I'll just say is "Glasgow oriented") does not define ALL of CC. If anything it is an embarrassing exception to the general rule of a very tolerant place with a considerable mixture of races and ethnicities that is one of the last middle class bastions on the Westside.

I highly recommend CC to anyone. I do NOT recommend ONE very specific drinking establishment. And I'm sure many most of the people who go there don't live in CC - it's just a gathering place for like minded scum from throughout the westside to gather. CC has much better places to drink anyways.

Last edited by majoun; 10-11-2010 at 03:30 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles