Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2008, 03:54 PM

18 posts, read 33,609 times

Advertisements

I have been reading the forums for a while concerning the Antelope Valley. I am curious as to whether the west side of Palmdale/Lancaster is a safe place to live. I have been watching the price of real estate, and it is possible to get a really nice home for about half of what it would cost in a reasonably good area of LA.
Are there grocery stores on the West Side, and gas stations etc., so that you don't have to deal with gangbangers while you are picking up a loaf of bread at the store?
Is there much crime on the West Side?
I have seen some outrageous homes for really good prices on the West Side. Assuming I don't have to commute to work, and I won't be using the public schools, is it worth looking into?

Thanks for all replies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2008, 04:06 PM

26 posts, read 81,709 times
Well, the west side of Palmdale is nice and safe right now, but I can say with 95% certainty that it will turn bad within a few years. Don't invest in any area of Palmdale. Living on the west side on a short-term basis is fine, but you don't want to have equity in that place when it gets overrun by Section-8 thugs and lowlifes like the east side already has.

As for stores and eateries, all the best places in Palmdale are located on the west side. You really never need to venture east of the freeway. The mall is on the west side, the theatre, lots of mid-range restaurants, grocery stores, department stores, the new hospital, schools, etc.

I have no problem with west Palmdale right now. It's nice, but it's just doomed.

Old 06-19-2008, 04:16 PM

253 posts, read 1,332,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orcadrvr View Post
I have been watching the price of real estate, and it is possible to get a really nice home for about half of what it would cost in a reasonably good area of LA.
This is what is called "a clue". For some reason, people always seem to think that they have discovered the exception to the rule:

To budget for a house or apartment in California, take the maximum amount you could possibly imagine yourself spending, and add 50%.

Old 06-24-2008, 11:03 AM

3 posts, read 13,538 times
We moved here because we got a great deal on a house and some land. We've watched Palmdale go to hell in a handbasket in the five years we've lived here. My husband used to have a 2 hour commute to The San Fernando Valley - both ways.

It is very depressing here. The West side is better than the East side. But that is like saying West Hell is better than East Hell.

Some folks live in a dreamworld where we will get an big, international airport and then Palmdale will be fantastic. Um, looking a fuel prices and airline failures, don't hold your breath.

Go for less home in a good area. As they say, "location, location location!"

Old 06-24-2008, 12:35 PM

2,054 posts, read 4,274,776 times
The Palmdale city line stretches way west and touches both Lancaster and Quartz Hill. I lived at 45th W and N and it was Palmdale, but across the street it was Lancaster and Quartz Hill center is at 50th W and M. There is a new Albertsons at 50th W and N. We used to go to Vons at 45th W and L (Chevron there too) or Rancho Vista and 30th W. Several places to eat at the mall at 10th W and P, gas too. (which turns into Rancho Vista). Costco at 10th W and L. Sam's closer to mall. Trader Joe's also. It is one mile between letters and numbers N-M or 10-20. I usually can go to those places without much altercation by undesirables. If you buy a house I highly recommend a single story as a two story is horrible to cool. Try to pick one that has shade (hard to do with a new one that has just dirt). Pick ones facing away from the prevailing wind from the west. Try to have wind blocks of other houses or lines of trees.

Old 06-24-2008, 04:15 PM

3,502 posts, read 9,604,542 times
Palmdale went down hill very fast. Was a good place to live 5 + years ago.

As for the Westside...saw on the news that there is a possible quadruple homicide in Quartz Hill (westside).

Fire At Quartz Hill Home May Have Been Set To Cover Up Murders

Old 10-22-2008, 09:13 PM

7 posts, read 30,050 times
Westside of Palmdale is still very nice. I prefer it to "down below". Yes their are plenty of gas stations, modern grocery stores, restuarants and malls. Palmdale has all the amenities of any other LA city.

It is true that alot of people have rented their homes section 8 and have attracted the south los angeles crowd. Hopefully they will lose their homes soon and take their renters with them.

The Antelope Valley is finally waking up to their Section 8 problem that has brought down the quality of living in many of our neighborhoods.

It may be too late for parts of Lancaster but West Palmdale is still a good place to live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles