Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2010, 11:13 PM

26 posts, read 72,611 times

Advertisements

My cousin lives there and goes to school and says that there is a lot of fighting, homeless people living in the woods, teachers dont care about anything, a growing Latin kings set, and its only like 15 percent hispanic 5 percent black. He said there a lot of tough Italian kids at camswog. I was thinking about moving there, but this makes me worried. Does anyone know about this town?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2010, 12:44 AM

2,940 posts, read 8,321,532 times
I cant stand that area in general. Esp 112 just north of the train station. There's loads of gangs hanging out there, and ALOT of illegals. Nothing is done about the problem because the enablers next door in Stony Brook and Setauket want their cheap labor, but its destroying the community.
I hate waiting for the train there. I would not move there. You're actually better off in the northern part of Coram (there's a nice neighborhood around Pine St).
Centereach is better too. PJS is not nice, period.

Old 05-03-2010, 12:54 AM

2,160 posts, read 7,515,132 times
The area around the tracks is a mess...and the traffic on 112 is a nightmare. Here is an older thread on the subject...

https://www.city-data.com/forum/long-...-like-war.html

You wouldn't have too look very far east or west to find much nicer neighborhoods in affordable price ranges.

Old 05-03-2010, 04:40 AM

1,280 posts, read 4,933,033 times
i graduated from Comsewogue over 20 years ago & we had gang related "riots" then. I don't think its gotten worse, perhaps there were a few years when things improved slightly but I'd say its about where its always been. Back then we had a lot of Columbian immigrants that liked to fight, maybe now the countries they come from have changed but its probably the same nonsense.

Old 05-03-2010, 08:21 AM

1,917 posts, read 5,344,339 times
I don't think anything "Happened" to PJ Station. It's always been a mess.

Old 05-03-2010, 10:55 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,712,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johninwestbury View Post
I cant stand that area in general. Esp 112 just north of the train station. There's loads of gangs hanging out there, and ALOT of illegals. Nothing is done about the problem because the enablers next door in Stony Brook and Setauket want their cheap labor, but its destroying the community.
I hate waiting for the train there. I would not move there. You're actually better off in the northern part of Coram (there's a nice neighborhood around Pine St).
Centereach is better too. PJS is not nice, period.

Stop inhaling the bus fumes and diesel train exhaust and accusing the people in 2 places for all the woes which have fallen upon PJS.

Perhaps you are better off bemoaning the problems where you live, a county away in Westbury, before pointing fingers somewhere you do not live. Why not place the blame on the uber wealthy in Belle Terre, the comfortable in Port Jefferson Village, the McMansionites of Mount Sinai?

Do you honestly believe that the people in 2 locations or 5 locations are the cause for all the immigration problems on LI?

The PO asked about problems within PJS and the Comsewogue schools; not your speculation and slander as to who might be to blame.

Old 05-03-2010, 11:17 AM

8,164 posts, read 15,141,481 times
Here's the problem, north of the tracks is port jefferson and NOT Port Jefferson Station. Also, Kelly when were there gang riots there? I graduated in 1989 from Comsewogue and don't remember anything like that. Now I do admit in the early 90's the lake streets (huron,superior,etc...) area and the area opposite JFK Jr HS became large immigrant areas. The lake streets are the biggest culprit of that area. Lots of illegal aliens, drugs, and homelessness. Now the other areas in PJS between Rush and Janet are perfectly fine, also by Greenhaven is still good. North of 347 in my opinion is the other area that has gone down a little but gang violence? The Latin Kings and all the other gangs are not a factor at all at Comsewogue. The teachers dedication has gone down hill though. If you want to talk about the hispanic gangs that hang out by the trains, you have to know that it's not even in the same town. 11776 is PJS, 11777 is PJ; and Port Jefferson 17777 and those crappy businesses are not part of the Comsewogue district.

Old 05-03-2010, 01:12 PM

1,280 posts, read 4,933,033 times
Lance, the teachers have always Moderator cut: crude language removed

In 1986 there was a "riot" that was considered gang related, it mostly involved the hispanic kids from near the tracks & the inner-city boys from the group home on 347 against a bunch of white kids. I for one was suspended for two weeks because of it.
Its trashy crap thats been going on there for YEARS. status quo.

Last edited by nancy thereader; 05-03-2010 at 06:57 PM..

Old 05-03-2010, 04:35 PM

1,580 posts, read 1,989,146 times
I live in Port Jefferson and am really turned off by what takes place from just north of the tracks to down past the 7-11 on Rt 112. I walk by drug deals in that 7-11 parking lot weekly. We have drug rehab facilities in PJ, as well as a home for the mentally ill right next to 7-11...add to that 2 soup kitchens, churches handing out free clothing and some of these people receiving SSI checks and you have a huge problem here. There is no reason for these people to want to leave. These drug rehab residents and homeless walk around with beer cans wrapped in paper. The people who reside in the psychiatric home sell their psych drugs to the rehab residents. The homeless drunks just sleep it off next to their shopping carts right behind the abandoned building on Main (is it #410?). Good luck trying to get Suffolk PD to address it, it doesn't happen. And the people who live in upper Port ignore it because they figure as long as it doesn't come down to the water it doesn't affect them. There is a very big Latin poulation just north of the tracks. They may be illegal, they may be citizens, who knows...they are not the people causing problems. They stay in that one little area and have never bothered me.

Old 05-03-2010, 10:05 PM

2,940 posts, read 8,321,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
Stop inhaling the bus fumes and diesel train exhaust and accusing the people in 2 places for all the woes which have fallen upon PJS.

Perhaps you are better off bemoaning the problems where you live, a county away in Westbury, before pointing fingers somewhere you do not live. Why not place the blame on the uber wealthy in Belle Terre, the comfortable in Port Jefferson Village, the McMansionites of Mount Sinai?

Do you honestly believe that the people in 2 locations or 5 locations are the cause for all the immigration problems on LI?

The PO asked about problems within PJS and the Comsewogue schools; not your speculation and slander as to who might be to blame.
I wanted to keep it simple, unfortunately alot of towns contribute to the problem, certainly much more then 5. Belle Terre, PJ Village, Mt.Sinai also contribute to the problems in PJS as well. I do believe that folks in neighborhoods that hire illegals are to blame. There are unfortunately too many towns to list here. I bet if everyone started mowing their own lawn you'd see at least 50% of the illegals GONE. And I see what they are doing to Westbury too. I'm all too tired of seeing towns destroyed because people dont want to do their lawn.
You should see the parade of landscaping trucks heading down Post Ave everyday, heading back from Old Westbury, Roslyn, Old Brookville, East Hills,etc. Unfortunately Mt.Sinai has gotten more overdeveloped with those godawful McMansions, its really ruining the character of the whole area. I remember when 347 from the mall east was much more wooded, then the McMansions came now its bumper to bumper traffic of Escalades and landscaping trucks.
These people dont care because they dont deal with the problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island