Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2010, 02:18 PM

8,164 posts, read 15,138,090 times

Advertisements

The club called The Riff which was also Bada Bing as well as the hispanic deli/bodega, and other ethnic businesses are north of the tracks in port jefferson.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2010, 02:25 PM

1,580 posts, read 1,988,287 times
The ethnic businesses are in Port Jefferson, we established that. But the bodegas are not the problem, nor is it the Latino community there. Latino does not equal trouble in my book. The problems are south of the tracks. And that is because PJ Village police are paid to run everyone just south of that Mason/Dixon line. Out of sight, out of mind for PJ Village residents (not for me, but seems to be the general idea).

Old 05-05-2010, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBeingAMommy View Post
The ethnic businesses are in Port Jefferson, we established that. But the bodegas are not the problem, nor is it the Latino community there. Latino does not equal trouble in my book. The problems are south of the tracks. And that is because PJ Village police are paid to run everyone just south of that Mason/Dixon line. Out of sight, out of mind for PJ Village residents (not for me, but seems to be the general idea).
There is a difference between the latino community and the latinos who hang out in this area daily. I'm not blaming a whole race because that would be plane racist but the eyes don't lie. It's not just the hispanics though. The people by the lake streets are hispanics and also whites. Not a large black population around there. The drug issue around this area is mostly a white issue too. I still have friends in the town and I know the specific problem houses. If you saw the areas that I claim are nice in the town, I personally state the heatherwood area (rush through janet), greenhaven area (not bad), flower streets like lilac (not bad). The other area on old town road by setauket (near dorothy) is very nice too. The areas I think are not so good once again are THE LAKE STREETS, areas off 112 NORTH OF 347, and the areas across from JFK Jr HS are sketchy even though they have added a few new blocks.

Old 05-05-2010, 06:39 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,702,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancet71 View Post
There is a difference between the latino community and the latinos who hang out in this area daily. I'm not blaming a whole race because that would be plane racist but the eyes don't lie. It's not just the hispanics though. The people by the lake streets are hispanics and also whites. Not a large black population around there. The drug issue around this area is mostly a white issue too. I still have friends in the town and I know the specific problem houses. If you saw the areas that I claim are nice in the town, I personally state the heatherwood area (rush through janet), greenhaven area (not bad), flower streets like lilac (not bad). The other area on old town road by setauket (near dorothy) is very nice too. The areas I think are not so good once again are THE LAKE STREETS, areas off 112 NORTH OF 347, and the areas across from JFK Jr HS are sketchy even though they have added a few new blocks.

I've seen plenty of drunken Hispanic men hanging around the lot on Railroad Ave as well as up against the side of the vacant fast food restaurant on the corner of 112 & 25A. By no means does this mean they are dealing drugs or are gangbangers, it's just that it gives a bad impression of the area.

Old 05-05-2010, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
I've seen plenty of drunken Hispanic men hanging around the lot on Railroad Ave as well as up against the side of the vacant fast food restaurant on the corner of 112 & 25A. By no means does this mean they are dealing drugs or are gangbangers, it's just that it gives a bad impression of the area.
Firstly I never called them drug dealers or gangbangers and even stated that in PJS that the gang activity is much lower than people think. I did state though that the people that hang out around this specific area are mainly latino, whereas around the lake streets are a a mix of some latinos and some whites. There are also latino day laborers in farmingville but they are looking for work and that's why i dont characterize them as being undesireable. Read between the lines. Not the whole race, just the individuals that hang out around there.

Old 05-05-2010, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Firstly I never called them drug dealers or gangbangers and even stated that in PJS that the gang activity is much lower than people think. I did state though that the people that hang out around this specific area are mainly latino, whereas around the lake streets are a a mix of some latinos and some whites. There are also latino day laborers in farmingville but they are looking for work and that's why i dont characterize them as being undesireable. Read between the lines. Not the whole race, just the individuals that hang out around there.
lancet, I wasn't implying you stated that. I was merely posting my observation.

Besides, Hispanic is NOT a race. It's an ethnicity like Italian or Irish.

Old 05-05-2010, 10:02 PM

Quote:
lancet, I wasn't implying you stated that. I was merely posting my observation.

Besides, Hispanic is NOT a race. It's an ethnicity like Italian or Irish.
Actually not quite right about the ethnicity. Italians are from Italy, Irish, from Ireland. Hispanic people can be from many numerous countries. It's like referring to someone as asian instead of chinese,japanese,etc... It's a generic name for most spanish speaking countries as a whole, even though portuguese countries can also criss cross because of countries like Brazil.

Old 05-06-2010, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Actually not quite right about the ethnicity. Italians are from Italy, Irish, from Ireland. Hispanic people can be from many numerous countries. It's like referring to someone as asian instead of chinese,japanese,etc... It's a generic name for most spanish speaking countries as a whole, even though portuguese countries can also criss cross because of countries like Brazil.
I'm a white Hispanic-Irish American. One side is Puerto Rican and Spanish, hence I am Hispanic.

Yes, Hispanic can mean a person's origin is from one of a number of countries, however those countries which are considered 'Hispanic' all owe that to one common denominator: Spain. Hence, Hispanic = ethnicity. A person might be from Mexico, Spain, Ecuador, etc., but s/he shares the same root (Spain) lineage but might not share the same race. We're white, we're black, we're indigenous people, we're mixed.

Asian describes a race of certain people or people in general from a particular continent. Not everyone on the Asian continent is 'Asian' race. Afghans, Russians and Indians share no 'Asian race' physical traits with Chinese, Japanese, Korean, etc.,. Asians do not share a common language like Hispanics do, while some Asians (including but not limited to) Koreans, Chinese, Japanese, etc., share a race.

My primary point was that Hispanic is NOT a race. If someone makes a remark concerning Hispanics, it is not a racial. Stating someone is (in the case of the teen who murdered the Hispanic man in Patchogue) a "beaner" is the equivalent of calling an Irishman a 'donkey' or an Italian a 'wop'. It is a mean, hurtful thing, but not a racial comment.

To expand on your perception that Portuguese can criss-cross into Hispanic:

I phoned my friend who is a Portuguese immigrant and asked if she or any of her employees (mostly Portuguese) consider themselves Hispanic. Resounding NO. Since I asked her I received a history lesson. In short -- Portugal came before Spain by several centuries. Portuguese people are considered Lusitanic. Brazil is considered Portuguese or Lusitanic as well. Being located in South America means that Spanish speaking people cross in and out of it, but that does not make it Hispanic. Hispanic people can live in a Lusitanic country.

In short: you might upset a true Portuguese if you call them Hispanic.

Old 05-06-2010, 02:20 PM

26 posts, read 72,601 times
Housing prices will probbably go down since more immigrants are moving in

Old 05-06-2010, 04:12 PM

Quote:
I'm a white Hispanic-Irish American. One side is Puerto Rican and Spanish, hence I am Hispanic.

Yes, Hispanic can mean a person's origin is from one of a number of countries, however those countries which are considered 'Hispanic' all owe that to one common denominator: Spain. Hence, Hispanic = ethnicity. A person might be from Mexico, Spain, Ecuador, etc., but s/he shares the same root (Spain) lineage but might not share the same race. We're white, we're black, we're indigenous people, we're mixed.

Asian describes a race of certain people or people in general from a particular continent. Not everyone on the Asian continent is 'Asian' race. Afghans, Russians and Indians share no 'Asian race' physical traits with Chinese, Japanese, Korean, etc.,. Asians do not share a common language like Hispanics do, while some Asians (including but not limited to) Koreans, Chinese, Japanese, etc., share a race.

My primary point was that Hispanic is NOT a race. If someone makes a remark concerning Hispanics, it is not a racial. Stating someone is (in the case of the teen who murdered the Hispanic man in Patchogue) a "beaner" is the equivalent of calling an Irishman a 'donkey' or an Italian a 'wop'. It is a mean, hurtful thing, but not a racial comment.

To expand on your perception that Portuguese can criss-cross into Hispanic:

I phoned my friend who is a Portuguese immigrant and asked if she or any of her employees (mostly Portuguese) consider themselves Hispanic. Resounding NO. Since I asked her I received a history lesson. In short -- Portugal came before Spain by several centuries. Portuguese people are considered Lusitanic. Brazil is considered Portuguese or Lusitanic as well. Being located in South America means that Spanish speaking people cross in and out of it, but that does not make it Hispanic. Hispanic people can live in a Lusitanic country.

In short: you might upset a true Portuguese if you call them Hispanic.
I love the specifics but they weren't necessary. I speak in broad terms often to apease. If you do speak to brazilians and people from portugal, they often don't like the connection while some others do. If you ask someone what is the race of people who hang out by the tracks, most will use the phrase hispanic because they are not sure whether they are from spain, mexico, el salvador, dominican,etc... So it is a broad description and yes you are right about the continent of asia. My religion is jewish which means my people came from Israel which is also in Asia but I obviously look nothing like someone from Japan or China. Actually my family breaks down as ukrainian (galician), english, austrian, romanian, polish, and possibly russian too. So i'm a mutt. It also means that i'm very tolerant of people from all places and international origins. Moderator cut: language removed

. I never blame a whole race for the acts of a few.

Last edited by nancy thereader; 05-08-2010 at 10:26 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island