Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2010, 01:14 PM

3,686 posts, read 8,705,479 times

Advertisements

What kind of job do you have, other than one in emergency services, that would fire you for not being able to get to work during a blizzard?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2010, 01:18 PM

4,698 posts, read 8,759,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
ya i get fired if i do that so...not an option for me.

Do the buses def. run?
nope, you'll have to spend the night in Penn Station or worse...Jamaica!

Old 02-09-2010, 01:33 PM

655 posts, read 1,060,595 times
It will be utter choas. Keep in mind that the current forecast is for the brunt of the snow to fall during the workday tomorrow (as opposed to at night). The railroad has this new policy where they will stop service if snow meets/exceeds 10-13inches which this storm appears to do. LI Bus (which I've taken) will likely have severe delays coming from Jamaica to Lynbrook.

I am more interested in seeing how this new LIRR plan works.

Old 02-09-2010, 01:43 PM

Using the words PLAN and LIRR in the same sentence is not proper.

Old 02-09-2010, 01:50 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,303,161 times
Default Correction!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Spice View Post
the N4 bus travels along merrick rd or sunrise highway and goes to LIRR jamaica station where you can catch the E train as well
INCORRECT.

N4 does NOT go to the LIRR Jamaica Station. N4 also does not travel along Sunrise Highway.

The westbound N4 starts at Freeport LIRR station and then goes along Merrick Road through Nassau into Queens (where Merrick Rd. is called Merrick Blvd.). It ends at Jamaica Center/Parsons Archer, where you can get a FREE transfer with MetroCard to the E, J, or Z trains. This is a subway station, not the Jamaica LIRR station.

If the OP is coming home from Manhattan, he can take the E train all the way to the LAST STOP, Jamaica Center/Parsons Archer. Do not get off at the second to last stop, which is Sutphin Blvd./Jamaica LIRR station, or you will not be able to find a LI Bus because it is only City buses over there!

When you get off at the last stop of the E train, make sure you head towards the BACK of the train and take the last staircase and go straight out the last subway entrance/exit. Reason being, the bus stop for the eastbound N4 LI Bus is the very last bus stop on a long street full of City buses. When you go out the last exit, which is the double staircase straight past/behind the booth located there, there will be 4 bus stops in front of you; 3 of them for City buses. Go to the very last bus stop in that lineup, which is the LI Bus N4. The line might be very long and it could stretch back almost to where you go up the steps from the subway. If you see long lines that are close to each other and can't tell which is for a City bus or for the N4, just ask people on line what bus they are waiting for and you will find the correct line to wait on.

The N4 LI Bus will take you into Lynbrook via Merrick Road. It is a FREE transfer from the subway with Metrocard (within a 2 hour time window).

If the major streets are being plowed regularly (and Merrick is a major street), the LI Bus should run fine; much better than the LIRR might (even if the accumulation is under 10" and the LIRR doesn't shut down). During rush hour the N4 buses come every 10-15 minutes. I have found the N4 to be more reliable than the LIRR in inclement weather (as long as they keep plowing Merrick Road/Blvd.; plus the traffic on Merrick Rd./Blvd. will also keep the snow accumulation down).

Last edited by I_Love_LI_but; 02-09-2010 at 03:07 PM.. Reason: street name correction Sutphin Blvd. not Ave.

Old 02-09-2010, 02:15 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,376,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
What kind of job do you have, other than one in emergency services, that would fire you for not being able to get to work during a blizzard?
Boss said I could leave early if they are talking of suspending LIRR service, but I have to at least show up for a bit.

I'm hearing morning wont be as bad as afternoon.

Old 02-09-2010, 02:21 PM

Take enough cash with you for food and beverages at Penn Station. Try to get to Tracks as early as possible because it will be crowded with a lot you strandees!!!

Old 02-09-2010, 02:22 PM

Quote:
chances are tho...if the trains aren't running, the buses wont be either? or do the buses run no matter what? A bus might have to be my back-up plan as well.
The buses that run along the very major roads usually do better than the LIRR in bad weather.

For you to get home via bus, follow my instructions above, but get off the N4 in Rockville Centre and transfer to the N15 to Long Beach. I think it is the Park Avenue, Merrick Road stop, but ask the bus driver to be sure.

Old 02-09-2010, 02:23 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,376,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
The buses that run along the very major roads usually do better than the LIRR in bad weather.

For you to get home via bus, follow my instructions above, but get off the N4 in Rockville Centre and transfer to the N15 to Long Beach. I think it is the Park Avenue, Merrick Road stop, but ask the bus driver to be sure.
Thanks. Is it the same stop going as it is coming? In case I need to take the bus TO Jamaica, as well as coming home.

Old 02-09-2010, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Thanks. Is it the same stop going as it is coming? In case I need to take the bus TO Jamaica, as well as coming home.
Yeah it should be just across the street from the other bus stop (going in the opposite direction). If you take the N15 to work, ask the bus driver where you have to get off to make the connection to the N4.

Once you get off the westbound bus at the last stop in Jamaica, just follow the herd downstairs to the subway entrance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island