Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2010, 05:17 PM

1 posts, read 1,901 times

Advertisements

I've been reading through some threads here and searching houses on mlsli and just wondering if it what im dreaming is realistic.. Now I pull in about 65 a year and my soon to be wife is making around right now 15-20 a year soon to be about 40-50.. She is just finishing up school but we have saved up about 110,000 as of right now.. We are going to be looking to buy a house pretty much anywhere in Nassau and western Suffolk as long as has it a good school district.. I work in Rockville Centre don't want to commute more then 40 minutes.. I have another year on the lease on my apartment just trying to get a feel for how much house we could afford.. I've been looking at some houses in Babylon for around 400,000.. Can we realistically afford this? The taxes scare me more then the mortgage... We are open to alot of places over the island.. Is it possible..? Or should we wait till we are both working full time? We both have cars that are already paid for.. Oh, We also have no kids or debt..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2010, 06:09 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,699,080 times
Default Understanding the geography of "Lawn Guyland"

IslandersFan, in case you are unfamiliar with the local geography:

What people refer to colloquially as "towns" are actually villages and hamlets, which are within actual towns; and, because villages and hamlets are referred to as "towns", then, many times, the error is compounded when actual towns are referred to as "townships".

Also, many colloquially refer to a "downtown business district" in a hamlet as a "village".

NYS Geographic Glossary and Excellent Long Island Geographic Resource may be of some help to you in understanding the geography of "Lawn Guyland".

On LI, You Ain't Where You Think You Are, rev. 1 may help you understand the great geographic confusions caused by non-conforming ZIP Code postal zones.

You can get a fact sheet for any city, village or hamlet on Long Island by going here American FactFinder and input the name of the city, village or hamlet for "city/town" (leave out the ZIP Code) and New York for "State", and then click "GO".

You'll get a lot of demographic, and some economic, statistics for the city, village or hamlet you selected, and if you click on "Reference map" (it's on the right hand side), you'll get a map.

When you do find a house that you like, you can find out in which community (city, village or CDP) that house is actually located, which is oftentimes different from the community named in that house's mailing address, by using the Census Bureau's online address search function. (CDP or Census Designated Place is the Census Bureau equivalent for a hamlet in Nassau and Suffolk Counties.)

And, very importantly, among other things, the Census Bureau's online address search function also indicates in which school district an address is located.

Old 02-04-2010, 06:23 PM

175 posts, read 657,756 times
If you guys have $100k saved and are looking at a combined $100k/year in income you can definitely afford a house that is going for $400k. I wouldn't go higher than that, but you are OK in that area.

Old 02-04-2010, 07:03 PM

135 posts, read 515,249 times
Why don't you check out West Islip as well? I think it is a really nice area. You need to make a decision as to the kind of lifestyle you and your spouse enjoy living and make sure that after mortgage, taxes, bills, etc, that you will be able to still offer yourselves that lifestyle. Otherwise search for a lower priced home with lower taxes and have more money left over to live life. Make sure you don't live your life just paying for some house.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandersFan View Post
I've been reading through some threads here and searching houses on mlsli and just wondering if it what im dreaming is realistic.. Now I pull in about 65 a year and my soon to be wife is making around right now 15-20 a year soon to be about 40-50.. She is just finishing up school but we have saved up about 110,000 as of right now.. We are going to be looking to buy a house pretty much anywhere in Nassau and western Suffolk as long as has it a good school district.. I work in Rockville Centre don't want to commute more then 40 minutes.. I have another year on the lease on my apartment just trying to get a feel for how much house we could afford.. I've been looking at some houses in Babylon for around 400,000.. Can we realistically afford this? The taxes scare me more then the mortgage... We are open to alot of places over the island.. Is it possible..? Or should we wait till we are both working full time? We both have cars that are already paid for.. Oh, We also have no kids or debt..

Old 02-04-2010, 07:29 PM

2,666 posts, read 7,339,402 times
Look into east Meadow. Nice residential community with good schools.

Old 02-05-2010, 07:43 AM

13,512 posts, read 17,046,510 times
The 110K puts you over the top. No PMI, 20% down on a 400K house, you can do fine here.

Now granted, you can take that money to NC, VA, TX, etc, and buy a huge house there with a half acre of land and only have a thousand dollar mortgage a month to pay, where as here you're buying a 30 year old mildly updated house on 1/3rd an acre if you are lucky, and your mortgage will be twice that plus you taxes 3 times that. But I digress.

dman the downer, at your service!!

Old 02-05-2010, 07:53 AM

20,073 posts, read 20,883,901 times
Given that you're not afraid of a 40 minute commute, that opens up a lot more doors.
You got the dough to do it, especially with no debt you should be fine.
Ton of great places within 40 minutes of RVC. The choices may actually be a little overwhelming, you need to really decide what you and the wife are looking for as far as the house and community.

The only thing I would do if I were you would be to change your screen name
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island