Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2009, 08:23 AM

1,917 posts, read 5,343,824 times

Advertisements

Heard on WALK that crime is down in Nassau and Suffolk counties.
Suffolk crime is down 8%.
I think Steve Levy did a good job regarding using Suffolk Sheriffs for state road funded patrols. This put money in Suffolk County's pocket and put highly trained Suffolk police officers back on the streets, rather than using them as high paid meter maids.
Good job Mr. Levy.

Old 12-30-2009, 04:59 PM

1,056 posts, read 2,140,106 times
All lies.

Old 12-30-2009, 08:37 PM

Stick 'em up.

Lies?
No.
WALK reported crime is down 8% in Suffolk. Truth.
Steve Levy turned state funded road patrols over to the Sheriff dept. Truth.
Suffolk County got to keep (more of) the revenue from all the tickets the sheriffs wrote rather than turn most of it over to NYS which up until now was the norm. Truth.
Suffolk County Police were reassigned to different locales. Truth.
It is safe to conclude these fine men and women had a positive impact on crime in Suffolk County. Truth.

Where are the lies?

Old 12-31-2009, 04:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottzilla View Post
Stick 'em up.

Lies?
No.
WALK reported crime is down 8% in Suffolk. Truth.
Steve Levy turned state funded road patrols over to the Sheriff dept. Truth.
Suffolk County got to keep (more of) the revenue from all the tickets the sheriffs wrote rather than turn most of it over to NYS which up until now was the norm. Truth.
Suffolk County Police were reassigned to different locales. Truth.
It is safe to conclude these fine men and women had a positive impact on crime in Suffolk County. Truth.

Where are the lies?

Ive got plenty of friends that are cops and they say crime is the same, a bit higher than 10 years ago. reason being is first off, Levy is trying to give them impression that crime is down so when asked to hire more cops, he would give the excuse "crime isnt up, we dont need more cops".

second of all, were still in a recession and 10% of america is out of work. do you actually think that none of the 10% is on long island? you dont think there are people out of work and getting desperate and resorting to crime.

please dont be gullible and listen to everything you hear on the news.

Last edited by KENNY GUIDO; 12-31-2009 at 06:00 AM..

Old 12-31-2009, 06:23 AM

69 posts, read 158,307 times
Please don't try to apply anecdotal stories to comprehensive govt reports. Of course any report issued by the govt should be viewed with a critical eye but it should certainly be given more credence than “I heard from a friend” report.

Old 12-31-2009, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spamsux View Post
Please don't try to apply anecdotal stories to comprehensive govt reports. Of course any report issued by the govt should be viewed with a critical eye but it should certainly be given more credence than “I heard from a friend” report.
and you trust government with what they tell you?

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAH AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHA!

Old 12-31-2009, 06:52 AM

20,026 posts, read 20,835,571 times
I don't know about Suffolk, but I would definitely say they are full of crap in Nassau.
I've got family in the NCPD, crime is up. Fact.

Old 12-31-2009, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KENNY GUIDO View Post
and you trust government with what they tell you?

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAH AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHA!

yeah, we're way better off listening to your friend.

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Old 12-31-2009, 09:34 AM

I knew this thread would go like it did.
The PBA used the "If you take cops off of hwy patrol crime will go up" scare tactic the moment Levy proposed doing what he did.
I'm just happy they are wrong (Duh, knew it all along) because you can't argue about numbers.
The PBA's one and only agenda while trying to bash Levy was to protect the overtime paid to the SCPD. That's their job. Unfortunately, the cops don't like this ( more Duh) and their arguement is now in the dumper.
So Levy was right all along (Even more Duh) and did what's best for Suffolk County.
The cops will never admit they are wrong.
The Sheriffs will keep their mouths shut 'cause they aren't stupid.
Levy will get attacked by the PBA come election time.
Dman will contine to talk out of both sides of his mouth and both companies Guido worked for, frankly, aren't all that great.

In other words...business as usual.

Old 12-31-2009, 10:04 AM

That's what's genius about Levy's plan. He didn't ask the cops to take a pay cut. He didn't cut their pay. He's smart enough to realize it is more cost effective to pay Sheriff's OT than to pay SCPD OT.
Of course, cops do not want to take a pay cut. They lost a lot of OT and they aren't happy about that. Their tactic did not work; they painted the Sheriff's dept as being ill equipped to handle the job and their scare attempt did not work.
It doesn't matter though; cops will still come here and hit & run post about how important they are, Sheriffs will hit & run post about how great they are and teachers will still want more money and all of the real estate stats available come from RE associations.
I just like to point out hypocricy when I see it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island