Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2009, 02:44 PM

39 posts, read 285,202 times

Advertisements

Hello, everyone. This question goes to people who live in Suffolk County and especially people who commute to NYC from Suffolk Co. instead of Nassau Co.
Why do you opt to live all the way East in Suffolk when the quality of living standards in Nassau is just as good if not better? I am saying this based experience of visiting numerous places in both Nassau and Suffolk County. Sure, it would be too costly to live in places like Great Neck, Port Washington, Muttontown, and etc...
But there are other great and affordable neightborhood towns with good school and typical suburban environment in Nassau Co. such as Levittown, Plainview, Westbury, Garden City, New Hyde Park, and etc...
Why live all the way East in Suffolk Co. and expend all the energy and time commuting to NYC? What incentives and attractions does Suffolk County have that Nassau County doesn't?
Thanks in advance for any insights.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2009, 03:08 PM

3 posts, read 17,202 times
I've got one. Most houses in Nassau are on postage stamp size lots. Most Houses in Suffolk give you at least a quarter acre size lot and the taxes are way less for comparable neighborhoods.

Old 12-05-2009, 03:15 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,168,547 times
I agree - more property = privacy for the price and in many areas (not all!) lower taxes.

Bottom line: more bang for your buck with more privacy to boot! (which I happen to like )

Old 12-05-2009, 03:18 PM

1,772 posts, read 3,239,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicesinging1 View Post
Hello, everyone. This question goes to people who live in Suffolk County and especially people who commute to NYC from Suffolk Co. instead of Nassau Co.
Why do you opt to live all the way East in Suffolk when the quality of living standards in Nassau is just as good if not better? I am saying this based experience of visiting numerous places in both Nassau and Suffolk County. Sure, it would be too costly to live in places like Great Neck, Port Washington, Muttontown, and etc...
But there are other great and affordable neightborhood towns with good school and typical suburban environment in Nassau Co. such as Levittown, Plainview, Westbury, Garden City, New Hyde Park, and etc...
Why live all the way East in Suffolk Co. and expend all the energy and time commuting to NYC? What incentives and attractions does Suffolk County have that Nassau County doesn't?
Thanks in advance for any insights.
There is much more green space in Suffolk County ! Take a look at a decent map. Virtually no woodlands south of 25 in Nassau County, which is where 90% of its populace lives (with the exception of Hempstead Lake and Valley Stream SP). Suffolk has a greater variety of town parks and woodlands dispersed throughout the county, even in the populated areas. You are never more than ten minutes away from a walk in the woods if you know where to go.
The town on Smithtown in Suffolk County has beautiful beaches and woodlands that the town maintains.
If outdoor exercise means anything to you, check out Suffolk county.

Old 12-05-2009, 03:23 PM

748 posts, read 2,889,664 times
The only reason to choose suffolk over nassau if you are commuting to NYC.. properties are cheaper in suffolk. Taxes are not any different. A 400k home in Commack has the same tax as a 500k home in Syosset. A 500k home in Jericho has lesser taxes than a 400k home in Smithtown!

Most properties in Nassau are more than 5000 sq feet, but 10000 sq feet will considered a larger property in Nassau. If you want very large properties ( like horse farms etc on one acre), you will have to pay >1MM in Nassau, but I saw some listed for 500k range in Suffolk.

Old 12-05-2009, 03:44 PM

654 posts, read 2,121,744 times
I lived in Nassau County up until 5 years ago. I love Suffolk and would never go back to Nassau. Of course Nassau has some very nice towns. I like the fact that in Suffolk most of the homes are NOT on top of each other. You tend to have more property out here in Suffolk. I like the North Shore Landscaping. I think it is more easy going out here. I love the fact that I am a hop, skip, and a jump away from farmland if I want to pick fresh fruit and vegetables. I can go to either North SHore or South Shore beaches. The city is close enough with the LIRR.

Old 12-05-2009, 04:39 PM

11,642 posts, read 12,720,371 times
For the same money in Suffolk, you can get a larger house and larger property. Suffolk is less developed than Nassau and less densely populated. There are more newer style homes in Suffolk, with many built in the 70s as opposed to Nassau where most of the homes were built in the 50s.

Old 12-05-2009, 05:59 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,391,128 times
Suffolk is cheaper for a reason though...and Suffolk is bigger and yet Nassau is more populated...again, for a reason.

Old 12-05-2009, 06:39 PM

65 posts, read 161,782 times
I think UNLESS you live in Oyster Bay Cove, Brookville, Lattingtown, Muttontown, Manhasset, or some other comparable area, I don't understand why anyone would want to be in Nassau, except for the fact that it is closer to the city. The homes and neighborhoods are simply not as nice as most of the Western Suffolk neighborhoods. And the commuting time is not that different. Traffic in Nassau is horrific. The towns are way too crowded and I personally don't like when my neighbor is so close that he can check whether I ate my vegetables at dinner from his window. And in my humble opinion, I would rather go east and stay north, than go south in nassau. The south shore is just a no go for me. Just don't think it has any charm.

Old 12-05-2009, 07:53 PM

292 posts, read 820,503 times
1) bigger lots and generally bigger houses for the money
2) you're not dealing with being part of "Queens East" which Nassau is slowly becoming.
3) lots of businesses are in Melville and Hauppauge nowadays ...

And I live in Nassau.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island