Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-08-2009, 05:24 PM

24 posts, read 50,632 times

Advertisements

We are considering to buy a house in Huntington or West Hills. We like the accessibility to the LIRR service in both areas. However, I heard that the areas near Huntington Station are not very good. I wonder if that's also true for the areas near the Cold Spring Harbor station? Any place in Huntington or West Hills we should avoid? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2009, 06:34 PM

22,715 posts, read 36,923,474 times
The area near the CSH station is beautiful. It's called Cold Spring Hills. Walter will fill you in on the status of these places as towns, hamlets, etc. If you can afford it, go for it. My friend lives over there and it's great.

Old 09-08-2009, 06:37 PM

465 posts, read 1,713,713 times
Area around Cold spring harbor train is very nice. Much different than around Huntington LIRR station, which is not nice.

Old 09-08-2009, 07:00 PM

44 posts, read 135,360 times
I've lived in Cold Spring Hills for over 30 years. Yes, it's a beautiful and safe area (as is West Hills). It is convenient to everything (I'm on the Northern State in less than 5 minutes). I always feel quite safe at the CSH train station, even late at night.

Old 09-08-2009, 08:18 PM

24 posts, read 50,632 times
Thanks for the comments.
We like the area west of Cold Spring Hills Rd. But there are not many options.

How about the area east of Cold Spring Hills Rd. and the area south of Juricho Turnpike? It seems to me the neighborhoods close to Huntington Station are not very good.

Old 09-08-2009, 08:21 PM

9,934 posts, read 23,206,504 times
I totally agree with the general sentiment: Cold Spring Hills is a very nice area; a handful of streets with rentals (close to Jericho Tpk), the rest have larger properties and homes.

The CSH train station is one of the nicest on Long Island - people come from Greenlawn and E. Northport to take the train from there (much to the chagrin of the locals, of which I used to be one ). Took the train from there for close to 20 years and always felt comfortable, regardless what time, even late at night! You also have pretty easy access to major highways from there, another possible plus

Old 09-08-2009, 08:25 PM

9,934 posts, read 23,206,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by requiemjp View Post
Thanks for the comments.
We like the area west of Cold Spring Hills Rd. But there are not many options.

How about the area east of Cold Spring Hills Rd. and the area south of Jericho Turnpike? It seems to me the neighborhoods close to Huntington Station are not very good.
If you're talking about the area across from Cold Spring Hills, say between Round Swamp Road and Sweet Hollow Rd, all the way to Gwynne, it's just as nice! As you get closer to the Mall area, prices are lower.
Don't know what your budget is, but there is a variety of price points in there.

Old 09-09-2009, 12:12 PM

292 posts, read 821,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elke Mariotti View Post
If you're talking about the area across from Cold Spring Hills, say between Round Swamp Road and Sweet Hollow Rd, all the way to Gwynne, it's just as nice! As you get closer to the Mall area, prices are lower.
Don't know what your budget is, but there is a variety of price points in there.
Agree
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island